Thread: The future of live music performance is dead

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Default The future of live music performance is dead

Pepper's Ghost illusions not Holograms of course, this explains it nicely:

Why I post this is to find out if you would actually want to go to these 'performances', particularly from dead artists?

I am very ambivalent about this but mostly I would not go because I hate every thing that is FAKE. I never go to cover bands, even if some might do very a good job.
    However if it were possible to recreate or construct a very high definition performance of AC/DC with Bon Scott from that time 'played back' in my local RSL club I would still go.

Interesting when the makers of this will be able to create 'live' interactions/modifications with the audience.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (29-12-18),hinekadon (29-12-18),TVguy (01-01-19)

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

I concur pretty much. There's nothing that compares to the real thing IMO, but I would probably go for the novelty at least once.

The AC/DC example is a good one for me. Having seen them on stage with Scott at the Hordern Pavilion with Black Sabbath in the 70's, I would be curious. I feel the magic'd be gone however.

Different maybe for those bands I loved but never saw, although I doubt it. I would love to see Cream in their heyday.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (29-12-18),Uncle Fester (29-12-18)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

In the process, they hope to unlock vast amounts of money in the back catalogues of the 20th Century's biggest artists.
    Pretty much sums it up.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

enf (29-12-18),hinekadon (29-12-18),Uncle Fester (29-12-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

The music industry has always managed to maximise it's profits from artists dead or alive, no question here,
    but would you go to such an illusion concert?
    Would you like to see your old favourites resurrected in such a way?

Quite a few artists(mostly singers) have been faking(miming) since the sixties. Sometimes it was obvious but later on sound engineers could punch in and out of pre-recorded material so accurately that many would not notice.

So it is really more about their 'physical' presence.

I wonder how they would get on with recreating drummers like Keith Moon?
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-12-18 at 02:05 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (29-12-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Got to be an improvement over what is loosely referred to as 'music' being performed these days

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

enf (29-12-18),Uncle Fester (30-12-18)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    ...but would you go to such an illusion concert?
    Probably not, I don't go much on fake stuff either, I guess it would depend on the situation at the time.
    I imagine a show like that would be expensive to produce, for me to travel there, purchase tickets which would most likely also be expensive, plus accommodation etc. etc. it probably makes more sense to buy a CD or watch a youtube video of the artist/group.
    If I was already somewhere where a concert was taking place & whoever I was with at the time was determined to go then I would probably go with them.

I remember reading a while ago something like this was planned as a comeback .

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (30-12-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

It might be interesting from a purely historical POV. For those of us who grew up with the likes of Beatlemania the kids of today, having never seen a live performance of the Beatles might appreciate the historical value of John Lennon singing, but, much of that can be recreated using actors in the Movies anyway. A hologramatic movie might be interesting, but, still, it would be little different to a video of the same performance from a spectator's perspective.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (30-12-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    I am very ambivalent about this but mostly I would not go because I hate every thing that is FAKE. I never go to cover bands, even if some might do very a good job.
    However if it were possible to recreate or construct a very high definition performance of AC/DC with Bon Scott from that time 'played back' in my local RSL club I would still go.
    Unfortunately a cover band is realistically all you will find of rock music these days.

I would see a cover band if I knew it was really good, ie, I could watch some of a performance on Youtube in advance or something.

Friends invited us to see a cover band at the RSL about 6 months ago, we didn't go. They said it was great, but realistically I have higher standards of what I consider good. A good cover band doesn't sound like a cover band.

I can remember seeing a cover band with my missus and a mate and his wife in about 1990. There was only about 30 people there, so I proceeded to get plastered at the front table and heckle the lead singer who sounded like the leader singer of The B-52's........on every song. Seriously, it was woeful, think any rock classic sung with a voice like the B-52's. He tried to mock me back, but I was young and sharp witted and he bombed big time so the whole crowd gave them crap all night.

Anyway, they ended up singing Love Shack and you would have sworn it was the real thing. I said well done and left him alone after that

And my missus didn't leave me ???

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (31-12-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Strangely enough I've only ever willingly seen seen one "cover band" in my life. Only because it happened to be where we were going and the floor show for the night was a cover of Leo Sayer. Until I'd heard the bloke I'd not reallt taken much notice of Sayer up to that point. He converted me, not to covers, but I did add Sayer to my "likes" after that. that was over 40 years ago! (Sheet! I must be getting old)
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

cover bands ?

this one nails it !!!

just another excuse to post that clip