Thread: Aircon units and damage from geckos

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Default Aircon units and damage from geckos

Hi All

recently had our 10 year old Fujitsu aircon unit stop working , and found the external unit contactor assembly full of geckos , who pissed on the motherboard and toasted it.

so am looking to replace with a new 5 or 7kw unit , and would prefer a good quality brand. Our local big box retailer seems to prefer Mitsubishi and Panasonic units. I asked around neighbours who have only those 2 brands fitted so must be some merit.

any reccommendations on how to gecko proof our new unit or can provide positive / negative feedback on other brands?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i had a Mitsubishi installed a few years back on our
    duplex ( rental ) and have never had any complaints as yet.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (01-01-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Gecko damage is a reasonably common problem believe it or not.

The tricks of the trade are below :

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

gulliver (02-01-19),SS Dave (31-12-18),tristen (31-12-18),VroomVroom (01-01-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Oh and as to replacement, most will tell you Mitsubishi or Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

A lot bag Daikin, some because they arent allowed to sell them, but I had one at my last house for 15 years with no problem, and have one at this house, 11 years and no problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (01-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

thanks for the advice , i think i'll be going Mitsu as it seems the most common around here. Asking the retailer again it seems that most major brands are now using vermin resistant design , whether that be on the circuit boards or other measures i dont know.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Mitsu Industries, Mitsu branched years ago but all the pro installers, (err my installer), say the Industrial version is pretty good
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (02-01-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Mitsubishi commercial, daikin I can recommend.

Currently have an almost 12 month old fujitsu inverter which has been very good so far......

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (02-01-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post

any reccommendations on how to gecko proof our new unit

I cover all openings of electrical devices, cooling vents, etc with fly screen. Can't say if fly screen reduces the efficiency of the condensor though.

Despite fly screen gecko pee destroyed my Bitcoin miners 5 years ago. Probably would have saved it if the fan was reversed.
    I think a cockroach blew my washing machine motherboard but I could fix it.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (02-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

In Mt Beauty because it was so cold in winter people went with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (which is different to Mitsubishi) or Daikin because the condenser wouldn't freeze up as much in the cold temps unlike the more domestic units. At work all the splits were Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

Leroy

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (02-01-19)

Banned
    Thanks

Hi
    I had two split systems, geckos destroyed the circuit boards with their toilet habits. Has Missu installed and put camphor blocks in the bottom of the compressor unit, no more geckos. Must be genuine camphor.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordonwh40 For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (02-01-19),VroomVroom (09-01-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    ...so am looking to replace with a new 5 or 7kw unit...
    Please bear in mind that rated capacity for any AC sold in Australia is based on the conditions shown below.
    Rather unrealistic for most people's applications / expectations. Go a step up in size and you will not have to worry about the hideous days when the heat is appalling (much like Sydney currently).
    When humidity is high the unit will be expending much of its capacity on moisture removal, whilst this helps it will not lower the temperature very quickly.
    Mitsubishi, both Electric and HI have been my go-to brands for installation ease and lack of callback grief.

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I spoke to my father a couple of hours ago. The AC in his bedroom has packed it up because the mud wasps encased the compressor in mud causing it to over heat and seize. Was installed in 1992 so got a good run but who knows how much longer it could have gone had it not been interfered with? From memory, I think that was a Kelvinator unit.

My mate has an AC Business and only installs Daikin as his primary product but will do Fujitsu if price is a point.

Used to do LG but will not touch it now as their Whole company mindset and attitude stinks as well as the fact they can't seem to organize basic spare parts atm.
    He ordered and was waiting on parts for one of his commercial customers ( private hospital) to do a routine maintence. Had a promised delivery date well ahead of when he needed said parts ( over $15K worth) and after a bunch of broken promises about delivery dates, they arrived a month late and incomplete.
    This undermined his reputation and credibility with the large client so sent professional and respectable complaints to seniour management here and in Japan.

The attitude came back all the way from Japan, if he is going to be a problem customer , close his account. No apology, no explanation of why had taken so long, just a message to his account manager if he is going to complain, don't need him.

They didn't need to close his account. Took his half mill yr average spend with them else where. Account manager whom he had dealt with had enough as well and went to Daikin.

Mate is actually good personal friends with a guy that has just taken on a senior management role at LG and wished him good luck telling him it would take a LOT for him to ever consider having anything to do with LG again.
    Not the first thing I have heard about the organizational problems with LG either. Heard much the same thing about one of their other product lines.
    The guy looking after that product line as sales manager comes from another competitor and does nothing but talk shit about every other brand and never gies a straight answer about anything LG but has become known for misdirection and giving an impression of something and when called out it isn't true falls back he never said something even thugh what he did say would lead people to an inescapable conclusion.

Might be more to the reason they changed their name from Lucky Goldstar other than to sound more western.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default lg

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    I spoke to my father a couple of hours ago. The AC in his bedroom has packed it up because the mud wasps encased the compressor in mud causing it to over heat and seize. Was installed in 1992 so got a good run but who knows how much longer it could have gone had it not been interfered with? From memory, I think that was a Kelvinator unit.

My mate has an AC Business and only installs Daikin as his primary product but will do Fujitsu if price is a point.

Used to do LG but will not touch it now as their Whole company mindset and attitude stinks as well as the fact they can't seem to organize basic spare parts atm.
    He ordered and was waiting on parts for one of his commercial customers ( private hospital) to do a routine maintence. Had a promised delivery date well ahead of when he needed said parts ( over $15K worth) and after a bunch of broken promises about delivery dates, they arrived a month late and incomplete.
    This undermined his reputation and credibility with the large client so sent professional and respectable complaints to seniour management here and in Japan.

The attitude came back all the way from Japan, if he is going to be a problem customer , close his account. No apology, no explanation of why had taken so long, just a message to his account manager if he is going to complain, don't need him.

They didn't need to close his account. Took his half mill yr average spend with them else where. Account manager whom he had dealt with had enough as well and went to Daikin.

Mate is actually good personal friends with a guy that has just taken on a senior management role at LG and wished him good luck telling him it would take a LOT for him to ever consider having anything to do with LG again.
    Not the first thing I have heard about the organizational problems with LG either. Heard much the same thing about one of their other product lines.
    The guy looking after that product line as sales manager comes from another competitor and does nothing but talk shit about every other brand and never gies a straight answer about anything LG but has become known for misdirection and giving an impression of something and when called out it isn't true falls back he never said something even thugh what he did say would lead people to an inescapable conclusion.

Might be more to the reason they changed their name from Lucky Goldstar other than to sound more western.
    isnt LG a korean company ?????

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    isnt LG a korean company ?????
    Yes they are.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Industrial equipment and parts come from japan.
    Some LG products are also produced in China.