Thread: LG LED LCD TV not picking up 1 of 5 stations.

Thanks

Default LG LED LCD TV not picking up 1 of 5 stations.

Greetings all,

My parents have an aforementioned LG tv that seems to have stopped receiving 1 tv station, checked on another tv in the same house on the same antenna and the station is transmitting and receiving just fine. The transmitter in question is Mt Cenn Cruich on top of the warrumbungles in NSW, the station is Prime/Ch7, it picks up all the other stations so abc, 9, sbs and 10 no dramas, the tower is full vhf band, the next closest transmitter is in Dubbo, mind you im 5hrs away and my parents are in their 70's so im hardly going to make them climb on the roof to re-position the antenna etc, ive told them to find the old STB they used prior to upgrading to an digital tv and plug it in in the short term until i either get up there to point the antenna at dubbo and see if the uhf band on that tower will solve their problem or they just tune the stb to prime and just leave it on that channel and swap between the inbulit tv tuner for all the other channels and the stb for prime.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

If the other TV tunes the 'missing' channel/network OK, then the problem is not the signal/pointing of the antenna, it's the tuner of the LG TV.

Is that tuner compatible with mpeg 4?

Have they performed a scan? (sometimes networks make changes and not all TV's update automatically).

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

yep do a rescan. But if the telly isn't capable of mpeg4 then it won't display the channel. But there will be a Prime transmission in mpeg2 as well

Thanks

How far is the transmitting site from your parents house?
    How many element TV antenna are they running?
    Do they have a pre amp on the antenna?
    Is the antenna installed for Vertical or Horizontal polarisation? (as it looks like Mt Cenn Cruich is a Vertical polarised site)
    https://ozdigitaltv.com/transmitters/NSW/41-Mt-Cenn-Cruaich

Also when you look at the signal level and quality on the working TV what is it?
    Then check the same signal level and quality of ABC, SBS, 9 & 10 and compare to the prime/7 channel.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Try a different flylead from the wall to the TV... could be something as simple as marginal signal from a dodgy cable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    If the other TV tunes the 'missing' channel/network OK, then the problem is not the signal/pointing of the antenna, it's the tuner of the LG TV.

Is that tuner compatible with mpeg 4?

Have they performed a scan? (sometimes networks make changes and not all TV's update automatically).
    other tv tunes and receives no dramas, that was my first thought, but given all the channels are in the same frequency band, its strange only 1 has dropped, my wife is up there and performed both a auto and manual scan with the same issue presenting, even going to there where the "prime" channels sit in a manual tune nothing shows up

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    yep do a rescan. But if the telly isn't capable of mpeg4 then it won't display the channel. But there will be a Prime transmission in mpeg2 as well
    multiple scans both auto and manual, same result.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyone View Post
    Greetings all,

My parents have an aforementioned LG tv that seems to have stopped receiving 1 tv station, checked on another tv in the same house on the same antenna and the station is transmitting and receiving just fine.
    If The LG TV has received the "Prime channel" in the past and has recently stopped receiving it ....

Then maybe try a factory reset on the TV and then rescan all channels again

failing that it could be a problem with the LG tuner ...... or maybe a marginal signal strength or quality being received at the LG TV for some reason related to the antenna or the cabling etc ...
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Is TV set to australia/regional when auto scanning?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoe; 06-01-19 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redgu View Post
    How far is the transmitting site from your parents house?
    How many element TV antenna are they running?
    Do they have a pre amp on the antenna?
    Is the antenna installed for Vertical or Horizontal polarisation? (as it looks like Mt Cenn Cruich is a Vertical polarised site)
    https://ozdigitaltv.com/transmitters/NSW/41-Mt-Cenn-Cruaich

Also when you look at the signal level and quality on the working TV what is it?
    Then check the same signal level and quality of ABC, SBS, 9 & 10 and compare to the prime/7 channel.
    1. about 65km with 800m of elevation above my parents, no obstructions, i can hit the uhf ch 1 repeater with a handheld and a 1/2 wave dipole on a clear day,
    2. one of these, please note, they have only just suddenly lost the ability to receive prime, so im thinking its a receiver issue, just seeing if its a common issue, the antennas that were up prior to this installation pointed to dubbo but a huge wind storm ripped the j bracket clean out of the fascia board, local yokel installer thought 3 metal tek screws was sufficient, unfortunately my parents are nicer than i am when dealing with crap workmanship, i would have either told him to use the pole that their uhf base antenna is on personally, its rock solid mounted to the brickwork, did have the austar dish on it at one stage. the 2nd incarnation was done by the electrician when he was doing some other work, he used the aformentioned pole.
    3. no pre amp, rg 6 quad shield to a 4 port splitter, unused ports have been capped,
    4. its orientated correctly,
    5. other signal and quality levels are the same on all channels on the other tv, give or take a few points.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Try a different flylead from the wall to the TV... could be something as simple as marginal signal from a dodgy cable.
    all fly leads are rg6 quad shields terminated with either spin on or hex compression terminations, all wall plates are f type x pal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    If The LG TV has received the "Prime channel" in the past and has recently stopped receiving it ....

Then maybe try a factory reset on the TV and then rescan all channels again

failing that it could be a problem with the LG tuner ...... or maybe a marginal signal strength or quality being received at the LG TV for some reason related to the antenna or the cabling etc ...
    i ask my wife to do that, apparently made no difference, cabling is all quality rg6 quad hex crimp or spin on fittings, all wall plates are f type to pal, i thinking the tuners on the blink in the lower section.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Is TV set to australia/regional when auto scanning?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    i would guess so, im trying to diagnose from 5hrs away, my wife is reasonably tech savvy so i dont think she would have made such a basic blunder

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyone View Post
    1. about 65km with 800m of elevation above my parents, no obstructions, i can hit the uhf ch 1 repeater with a handheld and a 1/2 wave dipole on a clear day,
    2. one of these, please note, they have only just suddenly lost the ability to receive prime, so im thinking its a receiver issue, just seeing if its a common issue, the antennas that were up prior to this installation pointed to dubbo but a huge wind storm ripped the j bracket clean out of the fascia board, local yokel installer thought 3 metal tek screws was sufficient, unfortunately my parents are nicer than i am when dealing with crap workmanship, i would have either told him to use the pole that their uhf base antenna is on personally, its rock solid mounted to the brickwork, did have the austar dish on it at one stage. the 2nd incarnation was done by the electrician when he was doing some other work, he used the aformentioned pole.
    3. no pre amp, rg 6 quad shield to a 4 port splitter, unused ports have been capped,
    4. its orientated correctly,
    5. other signal and quality levels are the same on all channels on the other tv, give or take a few points.

Interesting, you certainly have the antenna system set up correctly, with the site you are using doing 150KW you would defiantly have a good signal, i am just wondering if it is too good, do they have a pair of bunny ears they could test with?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redgu View Post
    Interesting, you certainly have the antenna system set up correctly, with the site you are using doing 150KW you would defiantly have a good signal, i am just wondering if it is too good, do they have a pair of bunny ears they could test with?
    they arent too worried about it as they hardly watch prime, the other tv is there if they have a need for it, the interesting thing is prime doesnt even show up in the EPG, so me thinks the bottom end of the vhf receiver is cactus, normally even if you get even the smallest amount of a channel you get the epg data also.

im going to try get up there and climb into the roof space and see if the diplexer from the first install is still there, as it was a dual antenna setup, dont know why unless dubbo was a uhf/vhf site thats now uhf only or what, either was the 2 original install antennas are still there doing nothing, ill use the diplexer to split the tuning between cenn cruich and the dubbo transmitter, hopefully should solve the problem, if not nothing ventured nothing gained.