Thread: Right to repair !

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Default Right to repair !

The political party that implements this is the party I will vote for:

In this country you need a fvcking licence for everything which serves only one purpose: for the industry to support a buy new and throw away 3 years later mentality.
    It should go much further: every item that is imported to Australia that is "glued instead of screwed" should have additional tarifs applied to it, like Crapple iphones.

And companies that provide free service manuals and readily available spare parts should have the customs fee waived. The cost saved dealing with landfill could cover that loss.

EVERYBODY can fix a washing machine IF you can get the part. It is usually a simple plug and play matter and the plugs are generally designed that they only fit the right way.
    Taking things apart without totally stuffing it up is usually the problem because the plastic clips are designed to snap-in but not release.

Modern car electronics is a load of BS too, that serves the only purpose to stop backyard mechanics and small business who cant' afford the cost for the required soft and hardware.
    If I look at a modern SUV I still see 13l/100km mixed traffic fuel consumption.
    The 'bare bones' engine in my 22y/o SUV that weighs 2 tons and doesn't even have an oxygen sensor uses less than 10 litres.
    That's progress???
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

allover (03-03-19),DB44 (03-03-19),eaglem (04-03-19),hinekadon (03-03-19),irritant (04-03-19),Tiny (04-03-19),VroomVroom (04-03-19),william10 (03-03-19)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

It has been interesting watching the Right to Repair movement in the USA.
    I agree, we need something here

As you have mentioned a motor vehicle, i can't see a car maker providing its ECU code to the general public to play with
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (03-03-19)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

I agree with the right to repair but what happens when your friendly bush mechanic neighbour fixes your brakes and you go out the next day and kill yourself because they weren't fixed properly?
    Or someone fixes your tv for you and your house burns down?

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

DB44 (03-03-19),enf (03-03-19),irritant (04-03-19),tristen (04-03-19),Uncle Fester (03-03-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    I agree with the right to repair but what happens when your friendly bush mechanic neighbour fixes your brakes and you go out the next day and kill yourself because they weren't fixed properly?
    Or someone fixes your tv for you and your house burns down?
    I have more trust in myself or a bush mechanic who I can watch/assist while working than a so called licensed repair shop.
    The difference is that it is my life and property that is on the line while for the shop it is just a liability insurance claim.

I have seen so much crap work done by professional auto mechanics, that is the reason why I DIY.

A TV can burn your house down, no matter if repaired by licensed, DIY or never repaired at all.
    The rule of common sense here is to never leave electrical appliances running unattended, including in standby.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-03-19 at 02:28 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (03-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Right to repair !

The political party that implements this is the party I will vote for:
    I gave up 'trusting' the gubmint's capability of doing anything for the betterment of the populace years ago, everything they touch ends up costing ppl more one way or another

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

eaglem (04-03-19),irritant (04-03-19),Uncle Fester (03-03-19)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    I have seen so much crap work done by professional auto mechanics, that is the reason why I DIY.
    I agree with you there no problems and it's also cheaper.
    But... I'm not a qualified motor mechanic and over the years have done repairs for friends/neighbours and often wondered what would happen if I made a mistake and someone was hurt.
    I am or was a fitter/mechanic so I know my way around mechanical machinery.

I know very little about electrical appliances unless they're pretty simple.
    I have changed the hot water solenoid on the washing machine.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

DB44 (03-03-19),tristen (04-03-19),Uncle Fester (03-03-19)

Thanks

But... I'm not a qualified motor mechanic and over the years have done repairs for friends/neighbours and often wondered what would happen if I made a mistake and someone was hurt.

Changing solenoids, water pumps, that is what I am taking about, nothing that requires high qualifications. Everybody should be able to see what they can and can't do
    I would never repair a vehicle for somebody else, even electrical I have become very selective. Used to be part of my profession.
    The rule is that the last person who serviced something becomes liable even if they did everything correct. So a liability insurance is mandatory which you will not get without the appropriate and very restrictive licensing.

But this is not only about DIY
    The lack of repairability hurts small business, are there any repair shops for TV and appliances anymore?
    The article also explains how tough the industry makes it for small auto shops, even if they are licensed.

hinekadon (03-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Right to repair !

I gave up 'trusting' the gubmint's capability of doing anything for the betterment of the populace years ago, everything they touch ends up costing ppl more one way or another
    Correct, even if one of the majors did respond which I am sure they will not, they won't stick to it or find a practical solution, just make things more complicated.
    That is why I could safely say I would vote for them

hinekadon (03-03-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

I agree that, regardless of "qualification" if you own something, you should be allowed to repair it. If you start repairing for other people, OTOH, then, of course, you should be qualified to perform the task to the required standard.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (03-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Many things in modern day Australia are dominated by this Nanny State mentality. Some things should require licenses. But does it really require a licensed electrician to change solenoids, water pumps, or change an element in an oven. Our politicians presume that we are all total idiots and then try to protect us from ourselves in far too many areas. Privacy requirements, for instance, reached the idiotic stage when politicians felt compelled to meddle.

Stupid, but not a vote changing issue.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-03-19),Uncle Fester (03-03-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default nanny state

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I agree that, regardless of "qualification" if you own something, you should be allowed to repair it. If you start repairing for other people, OTOH, then, of course, you should be qualified to perform the task to the required standard.
    the common call by the weak is "there should be a law against that " and the weak kneed pollies jump on it as a popular opinion to get votes whether it be right or wrong dont matter and they dont care anyway . wheres the rule of natural selection ???? gone with the wind
    if he stuffs it up you wont go back to him and will tell everyone hes a dickhead so he wont last long will he ???? EVERY BODY WHO BUYS A PRODUCT OWNS IT has no right to be denied the repair as he sees fit

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

DB44 (04-03-19),irritant (02-08-19),Radioguy7268 (04-03-19),Uncle Fester (03-03-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Now I wonder whats the story if some one wants to repair his new tesla 3 himself ?????? Maybe the never breakdown lol

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (04-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    Now I wonder whats the story if some one wants to repair his new tesla 3 himself ?????? Maybe the never breakdown lol

Although this guy is doing model S it is highly motivating and very relevant to this thread:

specifically this video is very interesting (4million hits,LOL):

I am actually waiting to find a broken(battery) Mitsu Outlander PHEV that I hope to get cheap as chips and restore the battery myself. There is somebody on Ebay Australia who sells the individual cells salvaged from other Outlanders or similar vehicles.

hinekadon (04-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Of course, the Nanny State is only one problem. Equally or even more serious is the issue of so many products designed deliberately so a user cannot repair them. And it's only going to get worse. And, of course, many potential repairers are scared off by warnings that if they even open the case they will void their warranties. Try getting a warranty claim through without a real fight if you use third party ink in an inkjet printer. Or getting 3rd party parts for a motor vehicle where the manufacturer has registered each part under the Designs Act so you are forced to buy overpriced original parts from one of their dealers.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-03-19),VroomVroom (05-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

So many hurdles..

As well as Right to Repair.... Should be Right to Protect

Case in point, all the Common Rail Diesel vehicles and allowing the owner to fit a Catch Can without voiding the new vehicle warranty
    Same with extra fuel filters

Here are people actively trying to prevent issues from happening to them, being booted out of their warranty
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

It would be a good thing. It would once again restore former glory to the trades, a career path that has been dying a slow death since the growth of technology in the 80s/90s.

You once again set up an alternative for people who cannot study at college/university or who cannot work with computers, etc. They can work with their hands.

Less unemployment and in general more dignity as a society.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post

Case in point, all the Common Rail Diesel vehicles and allowing the owner to fit a Catch Can without voiding the new vehicle warranty
    Same with extra fuel filters

Here are people actively trying to prevent issues from happening to them, being booted out of their warranty
    Of course they are going to discourage people from preventing problems!
    This whole thing is nothing to do with safety or interfering with the product to affect it's performance, it's about money. Specificaly, service revenue. You don't think they make any money selling cars do you?" They make money SERVICING them. Lots of money. For many years. In business it's called " Lifetime value of the Customer" and the goal is to get the number up High as possible but getting them back at regular intervals.

The safety thing is a smoke screen. I can ( and did on the weekend) go buy brake pads for my vehicle at a bunch of places in any suburb. I can and do go buy electrical gear all the time including stuff that's well beyond domestic power points and breakers. Might supposedly have to be licenced to fit it but I don't need a licence to buy it.

in any event, you can't be responsible with what people do with your product after purchase when it's out of your control. If manufacturers were responsible for ill use of their product there would be no car industry because they would have been sued into oblivion along with the alcohol companies by the families of all those innocents killed by Drunk drivers.
    The safety / liability thing is a load of shit.

The right to repair thing came about in no small part from US farmers. Strange blokes. Got real pissed off at having to pay some young apprentice $1000+ to drive 5 miles from town to plug in his magic box so the tractor would start again after they changed the oil. Yes, that is NO exaggeration and a very real thing. Basicaly if they fart in the things there is a sensor that shuts down the computer till the factory box of tricks is plugged in and sertified there is no mustard gas present in the cab before the engine will re start.
    These farmers that had been repairing things and doing maintence since kids get a bit pissed with the interference of the manufacturers trying to screw them at every turn and that is where a lot of the right to repair started.

Of course vehicles with canbus are much the same. There are multiple vehicles available in Oz right now where you can't change a head or tail light without the factory computer being plugged in and giving the computer the go ahead to allow the car to operate. It's simply another way of keeping the customer on the company umbilical cord and making sure they keep paying and paying and there is no escape. And don't think this is just for high end vehicles and exotics. Companies like Ford and Subaru are just 2 I know of that have it not to mention the likes of merc, BM, Jag and a load of others.
    It won't be long before oil changes HAVE to be done in the stealership. Some lawnmowers now have sensors that won't let the engine start if the oil hasn't been changes and they don't have the computing power of vehicles.

It's all designed to keep you coming back over and over and over... until you decide it's just cheaper to buy new!
    Same with appliances. They might only sell you one every 10...7...5... years BUT!, they will get money out of you in between and it will be highly profitable money from labour and parts costs that are marked up to kill because they have you by the short and curlys.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (05-03-19),VroomVroom (05-03-19)