Thread: Old XPR8300 firmware question

Thanks

Default Old XPR8300 firmware question

Hi all,

Long time lurker; first time poster.

I have an old Motorola XPR8300 repeater that came out of analog commercial service that I'd like to get set up for DMR ham use. I have a good programming setup with legit CPS (v16), but I'm unable to interact with the thing with CPS. The consensus of talking to some local hams/gurus is that the firmware is too old to be seen by newer CPS. (Just to rule it out -- the cable and regular computer can program mobile radios just fine.)

I've put together a Windows XP virtual machine and used the unmentionable tool to find that the TX brick is running firmware R01.02.00, and was last programmed in 2008. I found CPS v6.5, but it's apparently for the wrong region. (I'm in North America.)

Because I'm a dope, I had taken the repeater apart to debug whether there was a hardware failure, and currently have some of the repeater hardware missing, so I can't read it as a repeater at the moment. I'll put it back together tonight and see where that gets me, but finding the firmware version is progress for me.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards the right direction for trying to get this thing updated. Is there a mapping of firmware versions with the newest CPS that will read them so I know what I need to look for?

Also, is there a list of how to go about firmware upgrades when you're literally 10 years behind the curve? From comments people have made, I highly doubt that I can go from 01.02.00 to the newest in one go. But I've also been able to find any old ones in MOL.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

OK, not to sound like a crazy person answering my own question, but digging through MOL some more, I eventually found a file re-uploaded in July of 2015, "Update for MOTOTRBO Repeater R010201 or earlier to Firmware R010620," which seems like it will you from 01.02.01 to 01.06.20 with everything combined into a 32MB .exe file. Maybe I'll give that a go.

The oldest CPS I've found on Motorola's site is 11.5 (build 621), which states that the XPR8000 series (and MTR3000) firmware is R02.40.12. Can you upgrade from the 01.x firmware to 02.x?

Thanks

I ran into the same situation awhile back - I used an old CPS (v10 or 11?) to do the firmware update to 1.06.20 in a VM, then used the current version of CPS to go from 1.06.20 to the current firmware. Reading/writing the programming won't work until you get to 1.06.20, but if you go straight to the firmware upgrade menu it should be fine.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Bent_MG For This Useful Post:

fogster (12-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bent_MG View Post
    I ran into the same situation awhile back - I used an old CPS (v10 or 11?) to do the firmware update to 1.06.20 in a VM, then used the current version of CPS to go from 1.06.20 to the current firmware. Reading/writing the programming won't work until you get to 1.06.20, but if you go straight to the firmware upgrade menu it should be fine.
    Woot, thanks!

I was able to download v11.5 from MOL, but it doesn't work on XP. I installed XP specifically because whatever old version I was trying didn't work on Windows 7. After a long search I was able to dig up v10.7 build 580. (I added it to -- but I just copied it to my account from )

Surprisingly, 10.7 can read the repeater fine.

Since you also used a VM, did you have any trouble with when the repeater rebooted into FlashZap mode doing the update? I try to quickly attach the new USB device when it comes up, but CPS give me Error 2898, "Unable to establish a connection with device. Please reset the device, reconnect it, and try again." Depot hit the same failure, but I figured whatever I was using with that was just dodgy. It comes up normally after a power cycle, but I've been unable to update the firmware. I'm not sure if this is an artifact of using a VM (it's VirtualBox on a Mac, running XP SP3 inside the VM), or just an unreliable setup.

Thanks

I take it back -- I got it to work! (not Ubuntu-specific) had me set up a persistent connection.

I panicked when about 2/3 of the way through, it told me the connection was lost. It had apparently actually jumped to 100%; it's now running R01.06.20. Wonder if I can do normal updates from here.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,291 Posts

yes you can.

Thanks

Awesome! For some reason I had it in my head that you had to do one sequential update after another, and wasn't sure if you could go from v1 to v2. Turns out I was way wrong.

Once I was on R01.06.20, I was able to work with the repeater from my normal Win7 + CPS v16 setup, and upgraded it to R02.08.05. I got confused and put an earlier v2 release on as an intermediate step, but I don't think it was necessary. As I understand it, R01.06.20 (or maybe the codeplug format with it) is the magical turning point where "modern" CPS is happy working with it.

Thanks

Good morning, I saw that you solved .. you can help me too, please! I have a DR3000 r01.03.03 repeater and I would like to update it to make it available to the ham! I'm looking for firmware R01.06.20 and R02.08.05! Thank you

Thanks

There are repeaters of 16M and 32M, the 32M repeaters can accept the new firmwares.
    Can you know from the external tags of the repeater if it is 16M or 32M?

Thanks

Hi and thanks for having responded.
    It is a DR3000 8MB repeater.
    Model: MDM27QNR9JA7AN
    Tanapa: PMUE3017AAEAA
    Version: R01.03.03

Thanks

Sorry, you're right, there are repeaters of 8MB and 32MB