Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Rant!

I've managed to mislay my mobile phone so I had the great idea to log onto mr. Google to find it! So far, so good. IF ONLY! I could get past their two factor Authentication which wants to send a security code to, you guessed it, the phone I am looking for!!! Duh! If I had that then I would not need to log in to Google to find the bloody thing, now, would I.

Yes, I have tried ringing it and have yet to a) have anyone answer or b) hear it ring myself!

I'm not too panicked as it's around here somewhere as I've only been out once since I last used it and friend has already checked their place. I'm fairly certain that it isn't there anyway because I comment whilst there last night that I'd forgotten my phone so it must be around home somewhere.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

When you find it, it will most likely be where you left it

Sorry ..... I feel your pain, as we get older Keys, Wallet and Phone, generally friends that hang together, but when one goes missing, it is a huge mental blank as to where!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 12-01-19 at 08:31 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LSemmens
    Thanks

Yep! Done all the usuals, Lat I remember it was when a friend rang, time I got to it, it had gone to voice mail, as I was about to ring her back, she rang the home phone. At that stage we were all in the Master Bedroom as my phone usually sits next to my bed on charge overnight. From there, I spent much of the day in the lounge room packing up Christmas trees (yes, I did look in the box.) I do remember commenting to swmbo just after we arrived a friend's place for tea that I'd forgotten my mobile phone and thought no more of it until I went to bed. I've checked everywhere that I remember going and a few rooms that I'm certain I hadn't been in, but so far, zip! Even tried ringing it and walking around, no joy.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Try to recall the last times you were suddenly distracted.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (12-01-19)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

If you're anything like me it's probably in the fridge.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

enf (12-01-19),Uncle Fester (12-01-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Did you ask your dog ? mine used to run off with things still does but havent found the dog since it got run over seven months ago things still go missing tho lol hope this helps find your phone ????

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (13-01-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

How did you forget where you placed your phone? Your memory is excellent. You reminded me in the jokes section that a joke I posted on page 398 in Jan 2019 was in fact on page 2 and posted in Jan 08. And you can't remember where you left your phone?????? Said in fun of course.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

enf (13-01-19),gulliver (13-01-19),lsemmens (13-01-19),Tiny (13-01-19)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

The older I get the more it seems to occur

Thanks

try ringing your telco and see if they have a record of the last known location -

you might need a phone to do that though ...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Its in your car, under the seat...
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

RedXT (18-01-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thanks Keith, made me smile. Bit hard to ask the dog, he's been dead for nearly 20 years. I've been through the car with a fine toothed comb. About to unpack all the Chrissy decos because they were the only things that I have put away since losing the the bloody thing. (I only put them away yestarday, so it is highly unlikely that they are in there.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I've managed to mislay my mobile phone so I had the great idea to log onto mr. Google to find it! So far, so good. IF ONLY! I could get past their two factor Authentication which wants to send a security code to, you guessed it, the phone I am looking for!!! Duh! If I had that then I would not need to log in to Google to find the bloody thing, now, would I.
    2 factor authentication is not enabled by default, so you must have manually enabled it.

Can you turn it off ?

Or set your email as the place for codes to be sent to.

Administrator
    Thanks

Funny story on lost mobiles

Back in the early 2000's, my mate had a tiny Ericsson flip phone ( when smallest was the best in phones....not biggest like now) and lost it.

We looked everywhere for days, no go.

2 years later, he found it inside the tyre of his wheel barrow.

How you ask ? He had the barrow in his boot, it had a dead flat "popped off the rim" flat. He must have put the phone down on the tyre and it slipped in between the rim and the tyre.
    He took the barrow home and chucked it in the shed and put fixing the tyre on his "gunna" list. 2 years later, he went to fix the tyre and found it.

You havent used a wheel barrow with a flat tyre have you ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (15-01-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I did manage to get into gmail using another "recognised" computer. It appears that the "report" of where I've been for the last month, does not tell me where my phone is! "find my phone" appears to be something completely different all together. New sim card arriving in the next day or so, then, I'll have to find another phone.

No flat tyres, unfortunately. The only unusual thing that occurred before I discovered my phone missing was chasing a stray ram around the front yard of a friends place. At the time I did not think that I had even brought my phone with me, but it is the only place where I cannot be certain of where I went. The front yard is about 5 acres of natural bush land. Stray ram had escaped from a neighbour's property and is a known escape artist.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I did manage to get into gmail using another "recognised" computer. It appears that the "report" of where I've been for the last month, does not tell me where my phone is! "find my phone" appears to be something completely different all together. New sim card arriving in the next day or so, then, I'll have to find another phone.
    Find My Phone will tell where your phone is via GPS. If you go this page, , you would see something like this :

You then select the phone (if you have multiples listed like me) and you will get this screen :

When you click on Locate , it opens a separate page and it loads up a Google maps page and shows you where your phone is.

Administrator
    Thanks

I also just worked out that if I ask Google (I have a Google Home Mini) where my phone is, it asks which phone and will ring it.

Note it will only work with the last 2 active devices if you have a collection like me.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

It's been 5 days already, the battery will be dead flat & it will have shut itself down, so ringing it & or tracking it will not work now.
    Unless you can track where it was 5 days ago.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

LSemmens
    Thanks

I did try the find my phone thing with Goofie and they only seemed to have data from the last time I used Goofie Maps. I tried ringing it, to no avail, my next call is to my insurance company. It appears that this is an opt in thing which, I'd thought that I had opted into, given the fact that they tell me where I've been every month.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    It's been 5 days already, the battery will be dead flat & it will have shut itself down, so ringing it & or tracking it will not work now.
    Unless you can track where it was 5 days ago.
    Its just for future reference mate and for anyone else that gets in to the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens
    I did try the find my phone thing with Goofie and they only seemed to have data from the last time I used Goofie Maps
    Find my phone doesn't use Google Maps data, it uses GPS signal to locate the phone.

Google Maps timeline only tells you where you have been. This can be handy if you want to try and re-trace your steps to find it.

Google Maps Timeline works fine, again it comes down to what you have set your personal settings on. If you only have data from last time you used it, you don't have location history turned on.

If your an android user (this is aimed at everyone not you personally) you need to spend some time going through your Google settings and making sure they are set how you want them. There are a LOT of settings these days, there is a dedicated Google app button these days with a big G on android devices or on a desktop go to

Location History is under Data and Personalization on the above link and needs to be turned on for Google Maps Timeline to work.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (18-01-19)

Thanks

Jesus, Leigh - all this for one miserable phone ... Unless, of course, you spent obscene amounts of moolah on it. And if you did, that'll teach yer ! [grin]
    I'll tell thee everything I can: there's little to relate ...

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast