Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HP Pavilion G7 Shut down on SATURDAYS ONLY

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

I bet you all If I buy a ORIGINAL HP battery it wont shut down on Saturdays so by this what does it tell you. This is a deliberate ploy to make you buy ORIGINAL EXPENSIVE PARTS.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Some Sony cameras will not run correctly unless the batteries are genuine Sony batteries, could be as you suspect, HP is playing the same dirty games.
    Maybe ask them?

Have you looked in the Event Log for any entries around the time it shuts itself down?
    Have you tried it with all versions of Comodo completely removed?
    By removed I mean uninstalled correctly, not just 'deleted'.

As already mentioned, does it still shutdown on a Sarurday running from 240v with the battery removed?
    Have you tried a live Linux USB/DVD on a Saturday?
    Have you upgraded the firmware?

Originally Posted by forbirun
    Ok now change to Saturday n see if it still glitches
    Originaly Posted by Mr 672A
    Dont understand!
    I think that means changing the computer's date to a Saturday & seeing if it still shuts down.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

BIOS might be another option to try, perhaps go into the BIOS at first run on a Saturday, leave it in the BIOS & see if it shuts down.
    And maybe look through the BIOS's settings for anything that might trigger a shutdown, or anything enabled by HP, like a hardware check or similar, if found try disabling it, exit the BIOS & save the changes.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    BIOS might be another option to try, perhaps go into the BIOS at first run on a Saturday, leave it in the BIOS & see if it shuts down.
    And maybe look through the BIOS's settings for anything that might trigger a shutdown, or anything enabled by HP, like a hardware check or similar, if found try disabling it, exit the BIOS & save the changes.
    Been there done that Nothing in the Bios to do anything to shut down. Actually the Bios version has very little on anything what we are talking about. Fed up with it. The whole Family will NEVER BUY HP ANYTHING AGAIN. Again put the old battery in and it runs continual and you can start it when you want but a message come up from Win or HP that the Battery need replacing and yet I have full charged the battery and take it of and discharged on my work bench and it seems ok buy yet put it in the computer and it saying to buy another battery but when you buy a generic you have a one a week shut down problem. Sick of it taken to much of my time FU.k HP

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Mr672A, although the problem you describe is frustrating, it's ridiculous to blame HP for your misfortune.

I have used and overseen the use of many HP computers over the years...tower, desktop and notebook types without any problems whatsoever, apart from a few that were, in the main, self-inflicted.

HP computers are used by corporations, educational facilities and others by the million worldwide.

Perhaps you have picked up a bug in your travels.

There is software that will cause the symptoms you have described and perhaps your computer is infected with malicious software that emulates such programs.

Perhaps will give you a few hints on how to tackle the problem.

You must be methodical (not unduly frustrated/emotional ) when trouble-shooting such faults.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

shred (17-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    HP computers are used by corporations, educational facilities and others by the million worldwide.
    I can't see the above corporations buying batteries from ebay. I wills say it again. If I put the Original batter in and when you start the Computer EVERY Time a BIG message come up to replace your battery but it NEVER shuts down. But if you put the NEW EBAY generic battery in the Starting message goes to replace the Battery but it shut down on Saturday.
    Now I tried this On Friday afternoon I put the Original battery in so on saturday its sweet!! Does not shut down , Only warnes me to but a new battery yet the battery holds it power but is 2-3 years old. The notebook does not shut down. Now on Sunday morning i put the ebay battery in and it takes over and runs ok. Some thing odd going here.
    Now If I start it on Saturday and remove quickly from device management that HP or win 8 program that controls the Battery and re boot it in time the puter boots up and runs for 20-45 minutes and after it installs THAT PROGRAM again then it shuts down.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

The big message comes up before or after Windows has booted & you're on the Desktop?

Before might mean whatever test it's running is hard coded into the hardware/BIOS by HP & can't be stopped.
    If it's after Windows is running then it might be the HP Support Assistant or something similar that's set to start with Windows.
    If that's the case then maybe next Saturday try disabling it from starting up when Windows starts, then see if the computer shuts down again with a non-genuine battery.

Have you tried calibrating the new battery with the ?

Have you actually spoken to HP about this issue?

Premium Member
    Thanks

A similar problem with my HP wireless printer.
    I bought some ink from another company(which
    works perfect on my Brother MFC printer) but not on the HP.
    Something is build in so you have to buy the genuine hp ink($70.00)

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (20-02-19)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    ...Have you tried calibrating the new battery with the ?

Have you actually spoken to HP about this issue?
    Two logical (and obvious) courses of action for Mr 672A to take!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Two logical (and obvious) courses of action for Mr 672A to take!
    That can be next obvious things to do. Might try the calibration stuff next.

I like this bit.
    HP recommends purchasing genuine HP replacement batteries through HP dealers and vendors to avoid illegitimate or counterfeit products.

caution: Counterfeit batteries: Unauthorized sources might offer replacement batteries as “genuine HP” or “authentic HP” or “original HP” when they are actually counterfeit. Such batteries are typically offered at price points below $45 USD, which is less than the cost of manufacture of an HP battery. HP cannot control the performance of HP notebooks when using counterfeit batteries.

Again I bet If we buy a ORIGINAL Battery from HP the problem we have will be GONE!!.
    Maybe If we ring HP they will say "quote" What battery did you buy? OOOOOH NO that not Genuine! You Must buy Only Genuine Battery.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 17-02-19 at 02:34 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I expect you'll find likely all 'brand' PC manufacturers will only recommend their own replacement batteries.

It's no different to car manufacturers saying you should always fit genuine parts.

It certainly appears the battery you are using has an incompatibility issue.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (17-02-19)

Premium Member

Thanks

This reminds me of very similar problem I encountered some years ago concerning non-genuine replacement ink cartridges for inkjet printers .

Such printers have/had an onboard counter, which failed to 'reset' if a non-genuine cartridge was installed instead of the recommended 'genuine factory original'.

Some ink cartridge suppliers, e.g. Inkbank, supplied "reseters" to reset the counters in order to make their non-genuine ink cartridges work.

Although I haven't heard of the same thing applying to notebook batteries, I don't see why it wouldn't be employed by computer manufacturers in order to protect their market.

Mr 672A (18-02-19)

Thanks

If I can play devil’s advocate, look at all the bad press Apple and Samsung have had from batteries catching fire in their phones. There are many stories online of extremely dangerous re-packed and third party batteries. The worst horror stories I’ve come across involve Chinese made replacement batteries for power tools cobbled together from second hand cells.

You can’t really blame the manufacturer for making it hard for users of non-genuine batteries with that as the background. Having said that, I take exception to the way many manufacturers see this as an excuse the blatantly rip people off when they try to do the right thing and use OEM parts.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (17-02-19),Mr 672A (18-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    If I can play devil’s advocate, look at all the bad press Apple and Samsung have had from batteries catching fire in their phones. There are many stories online of extremely dangerous re-packed and third party batteries. The worst horror stories I’ve come across involve Chinese made replacement batteries for power tools cobbled together from second hand cells.

You can’t really blame the manufacturer for making it hard for users of non-genuine batteries with that as the background. Having said that, I take exception to the way many manufacturers see this as an excuse the blatantly rip people off when they try to do the right thing and use OEM parts.
    But at the same time You don't expect to Pay $96 for on genuine battery where you can get it with a larger capacity for $24.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I expect you'll find likely all 'brand' PC manufacturers will only recommend their own replacement batteries.

It's no different to car manufacturers saying you should always fit genuine parts.

Well at least when you buy Car Parts, generic parts might not be as good but at the same time the the ECU on the car doesn't sniff out Non Genuine parts and shut you down for the first time on Saturday,

Thanks

Yes It seems that way. Otherwise It works well as the wife take the notebook with her and no external power and it runs off the battery no issue for 3 to 4 hours

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    But at the same time You don't expect to Pay $96 for on genuine battery where you can get it with a larger capacity for $24.
    This, of course, begs the question whether the e-bay $24 battery is in fact equal (or superior) in terms of both quality and capacity to the more expensive 'genuine' brand battery.

In my experience, the old adage, "you get what you pay for", all too often holds true, particularly in regard to rechargeable batteries of various types.

One must always beware of 'so-called bargains'!

shred (18-02-19)

Thanks

It’s a big difference in price, but $96 is actually pretty reasonable for a replacement battery from a tier 1 manufacturer. At 1/4 of the price for the eBay battery, I’d be surprised if the eBay one worked at all.

I place a value on my time and for $72, I’d rather buy the proper battery and not waste bours of my time faffing around trying to get a no-name eBay special working that might or might not have more capacity and will probably only last a couple of months before it fails.
    Last edited by shred; 19-02-19 at 01:46 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Given you've told us on many occasions about how much you spend on very expensive audio/video equipment... only choosing the best components... why whinge about an additional $72 for a genuine battery that's guaranteed to work, and save you all time you're spending posting here about the problem that still exists?

I understand your point, but if using a genuine battery works and a non-genuine battery doesn't, the solution seems very clear to me.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Jma (18-02-19),tristen (19-02-19)

Thanks

Given you've told us on many occasions about how much you spend on very expensive audio/video equipment... only choosing the best components... why whinge about an additional $72 for a genuine battery that's guaranteed to work, and save you all time you're spending posting here about the problem that still exists?
    NO!! MTV you don't know me
    I stand for principle, I hate Dictatorship, Say if you did wrong to me I would spend $10,000 to get $1000 of you If I know you cant afford $1000.
    I'm Posting here to see if HP are dictators or not. Its better post here to show whats possible going on so other can see as it still can be a problem but so far the smartest here have not seen this issue and that alone surprised me.

• Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast