Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HP Pavilion G7 Shut down on SATURDAYS ONLY

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Ever since I replace the battery (the notebook told me via a message to replace it) on my wife 17 inch HP Pavilion G7 Notebook running Win 8.1 64 bit running a AMD AS 4500 APU with Radeon HP Graphics, 8.0g/b of ram AMD HD 7640 it shuts down ONLY ON SATURDAY after you start in and after 2 to 5 minutes ITS SHUTS DOWN WITH NO MESSAGE to tell you i'm shutting down and wont start again until you remove the battery and then leave it out for 2-5 minutes and refit it again and all is ok until next Saturday.
    Now this has been going on for the last 2 months and yes we ask for a replacement battery from the ebay seller and the second one has done the same.
    Now last week I told the wife not to start the notebook on Saturday so she did not use it but she started it on Sunday morning and it shut down after a few minutes the the first time and you cannot start it until you remove and refit the battery. So that was Sunday and said to the wife to test it to see if its a 7 day issue or a Saturday Issue so she started it today which is SATURDAY and it shut down again. Removed the Battery and left it out and refitted it in 5 minutes and its away again. So its not a 7 day thing it just Saturday problem
    NOW!!! I fit the original battery that is worn out as the message tell me to replace it and the Notebook works perfectly and DOES NOT SHUT DOWN SATURDAY or and other day.
    Some tell me that the computer does not like the ebay battery that have different MAH rating (New one is slight more capacity)

HELP whats going on!!
    Tristen

The above is EXACTLY what the Notebook is doing. I might have forgotten to say she uses CHrome Why do you think that I hiding something that I want help to fix as it make no sense to do this. There is a possible I might have forgotton something but I trying hard to not to forgot
    Next Saturday test will be (delay the Linux test) 1/ turn the Notebook on 2/ leave it on desk top for 10, 20, 30 , min on see if it stays on 3/ and if it stays on 4/ Start firefox as on this puter it has Firefox but the wife ONLY uses Chrome and Firefox has never been used since the computer was new.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 05-03-19 at 10:18 AM.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

read the above. I have CCCleaner on the Note book and used it a few time but I do not have Malwarebytes. I will Download this and will use it.
    Thanks

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

read the above. I have CCCleaner on the Note book and used it a few time but I do not have Malwarebytes. I will Download this and will use it.
    Thanks
    As no single anti-virus/malware/spyware program will detect ALL unwanted nasties that infect computers, I use the following programs, which are constantly running.

Use each one in turn, one after the other, and see what they detect (if anything).

1. Malware Bytes Anti Spyware.

2. Super Anti Spyware professional.

3. Spyhunter.

4. Hitman Pro.

5. Kaspersky.

Between them, they catch ALL the nasties that try to spoil my computing activities.

Yes, they do take up computer resources, but I consider it worthwhile.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (06-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    As no single anti-virus/malware/spyware program will detect ALL unwanted nasties that infect computers, I use the following programs, which are constantly running.

Use each one in turn, one after the other, and see what they detect (if anything).

1. Malware Bytes Anti Spyware.

2. Super Anti Spyware professional.

3. Spyhunter.

4. Hitman Pro.

5. Kaspersky.

Between them, they catch ALL the nasties that try to spoil my computing activities.

Yes, they do take up computer resources, but I consider it worthwhile.
    Geeeeee I better start Downloading. This computer has become a ritual with me, maybe gives me something to do but I will find out whats causing the issue.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

tristen (06-03-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Dare I mention Linux again? Haven't needed any of that stuff since I changed over. The nasties can't even get a look in.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (06-03-19)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Dare I mention Linux again? Haven't needed any of that stuff since I changed over. The nasties can't even get a look in.
    I wouldn't bet on it.

In my past internet travels I have come across a number of reports of Linux O.S. being invaded by virii etc.

For starters, a five second internet search reveals...

1/. A PC World article, Why Linux users should worry about malware and what they can do about it.

Read it at

2/. A LiNUX.COM article, Myth Busting: Is Linux Immune to Viruses?

Read it at

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

And another 5 second internet search comes up with things like 99.4 percent of all malware .
    We could do this all day with the same results.
    Yes Linux can be vulnerable to malware/viruses etc., but the real world cases of it actually happening are rare, not so with Windows.

Lsemmens makes a good point, albeit in a roundabout sort of way.
    Given a choice, an OS that gives the user full control of their system, doesn't spy on them with default settings, doesn't prevent them from doing this or that, is free to obtain, use, get full, free support from it's developers with, and for the most part simply works without issue is a lot more appealing than an OS where one is forced to continuously run 5 or more resource hungry & possibly expensive programs just to keep problems at bay that should be taken care of at the kernel level.

Linux is by far the better option for people in similar situation to Mr672A, set up a Linux system to do everything required, emails, internet browsing, images, videos, music etc. etc. etc. & it's done, they can use it for whatever they like without the extra stress of messing with different versions of anti-everything software that in some cases seems to cause more problems than they prevent.
    If the user breaks it, no worries, snapshots can be created of working customised systems that can be used for a reinstall, keeping all the user's preferred programs, settings etc. during the install process.
    I admin several systems for pensioners etc., this process is far far simpler and much much cheaper done with Linux systems than Windows.
    I wouldn't even attempt it with Windows systems as there's just too many issues with things like viruses, malware, failing updates etc. etc. to make it a viable solution.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (08-03-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I wouldn't bet on it.

In my past internet travels I have come across a number of reports of Linux O.S. being invaded by virii etc.

For starters, a five second internet search reveals...

1/. A PC World article, Why Linux users should worry about malware and what they can do about it.

Read it at

2/. A LiNUX.COM article, Myth Busting: Is Linux Immune to Viruses?

Read it at
    I'm not saying that Linux does not have any problems with such, but the chances of a nasty gaining access to a linux system are remote, unless you are downright stupid. Yes, there are browser issues that might rear their ugly heads but that is not an OS issue. My point is, with only 2% of the world market share, there is little profit in it and, if you are silly enough to give an unknown app, or popup, permission to access your system, you deserve what you get. What gets me, is the number of people who persist in using an old, unsafe car when a newer/safer model is available FREE!

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

What gets me, is the number of people who persist in using an old, unsafe car when a newer/safer model is available FREE!
    Where do we get such cars?
    I could do with a new one.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Jma (08-03-19),tristen (08-03-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

Geeeeee I better start Downloading. This computer has become a ritual with me, maybe gives me something to do but I will find out whats causing the issue.
    is this still going on
    i been on holidays and everything

gee, have you bothered to format it yet, if you did disregard this
    if you didnt, i think you should.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    is this still going on
    i been on holidays and everything

gee, have you bothered to format it yet, if you did disregard this
    if you didnt, i think you should.
    Yes format it would be the last choice ( Because my brain is as good as last October)but I have to do it if the Note book keeps doing this. The wife Old notebook a 16 inch ACER I formatted it as the notebook operating systems had files everywhere as the wife has no clue where to stick download fine so I Formatted it, made a NEW Partition and Locked the C drive so she can't put stuff in it and and "D" drive I made Folder for Everything that what she did and changed her Chrome Browser to ask you where do you want the File to go. Now She 95% got the Hang of it and a Month later we Got the NEW!! 17 inch HP Notebook for her as I needed a notebook for OBD2 car stuff.
    The Funny thing is When I purchased the Battery for the EFFECTED HP 17 Notebook from ebay I ALSO AT THE SAME TIME purchased a battery for the 16 inch ACER from the same mob and the manufacture are the same but for different models and on the ACER I DO NOT have issue with shutting down on Saturday or and other days.
    We are note in a Hurry to format the Wife's 17 inch HP but when we become desperate we will do it. As It stands NEXT Saturday will start it and leave it on 1/ Desktop and if it stays on Desktop without shutting down we I will start a freshly installed Firefox.

Thanks

Well every since I change the date on the Notebook to October 2017 and tried the Computer with that date and still have the Problem where I changed it on Friday as I changed the day before Saturday which is Friday and ever since that now it SHUTS down on Friday not Saturday. It has shut down twice on Fridays ONLY now on Saturday's
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 25-03-19 at 10:17 AM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Have you tries a live OS yet?

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

shred (25-03-19)

Thanks

Have you tries a live OS yet?
    Not yet but its next. I have other issue to do first due to lighting last week causing issue at our home. This issue I have only effect one room ALL THE TIME FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS and its more strange than the HP Notebook problem. That issue I will explain another day.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 25-03-19 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks

Well every since I change the date on the Notebook to October 2017 and tried the Computer with that date and still have the Problem where I changed it on Friday as I changed the day before Saturday which is Friday and ever since that now it SHUTS down on Friday not Saturday. It has shut down twice on Fridays ONLY now on Saturday's
    Yes the third week in a row that the notebook shuts down on Friday and Saturday is fine. The Next time you will here me is when I give it the Linux test.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

is it legit windows or kms activated ?

Premium Member

Thanks

.....I have CCCleaner on the Note book and used it a few time but I do not have Malwarebytes. I will Download this and will use it.
    Thanks....... Geeeeee I better start Downloading. This computer has become a ritual with me, maybe gives me something to do but I will find out whats causing the issue.
    Mr 672A, you haven't yet posted the results of installing and running the programs I suggested other than CCCleaner.!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    is it legit windows or kms activated ?
    Yes legit Windows 8 with the patch in it so it look like Win 7. Whats the KMS?

Thanks

Mr 672A, you haven't yet posted the results of installing and running the programs I suggested other than CCCleaner.!!!!

No not yet as I'm very busy doing other stuff ATM. I will do it one day when I have less to do around the House and our yard. For my age and my health I'm always up to something and the wife Notebook comes about 4th on the list of priorities.

• Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast