Thread: Kayo Sports

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Kayo Sports

Surprised that I couldnt see an existing thread ?? (let me know if I missed one)

I cant believe how cheap this service is for what it offers.

To previously watch AFL, I had to install a hacked .apk on my Mi-Box to subscribe to Foxtel Now. Even then, I have to subscribe to a base package to be able to subscribe to sport. It was costing me about $45 a month from memory and even more annoying, if Channel 7 was telecasting the game free to air, Foxtel Now gives you Channel 7's crappy feed complete with bloody ads ! (I am really hoping Kayo offers the Foxtel feeds)

Enter Kayo Sports which will have people ditching Foxtel's sport in droves. Take a look at what they are offering !

At $25 for 2 screens or $35 for 3, you can share subs with your mates and have all the sport you want for not much over $10 a month.

I just signed up on the 14 day trial, and the Cricket looks to be lovely quality in HD on my Samsung S3 tablet. Anyone else using it ? Feedback/problems/gripes etc welcome.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Just a FYI, Kayo Sports is owned by Foxtel.
    Hopefully a Kodi Addon will be released shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by irwazza; 26-01-19 at 07:33 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Interesting given the ownership.

I tried to load an apk on to my Mi-Box, but got a side ways screen and nothing when I selected something to watch. Hopefully someone fiddles with an .apk for us.

Its not a biggy in the meantime as the Mi-Box has casting as do my phone and tablet so I can cast on to the TV.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Kayo/Foxtel is reportedly releasing a proper Android TV apk before the AFL season starts.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

admin (29-01-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Kayo/Foxtel is reportedly releasing a proper Android TV apk before the AFL season starts.
    Excellent ! The picture quality has been excellent on what I have watched so far, I just have to pray that we get all Fox AFL games and not crap Channel 7 feeds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Excellent ! The picture quality has been excellent on what I have watched so far, I just have to pray that we get all Fox AFL games and not crap Channel 7 feeds.
    It should be whatever is available on Foxtel, as that is where Kayo get their feeds from. There is no arrangement between Kayo and Channel 7 (nor any other commercial TV network), so if Foxtel has no feed, it won’t be available.

Premium Member
    Thanks

But there are still differences with AFL coverage between linear Foxtel and Foxtel Now. Fox Footy isn't entirely the same, rebadged as Footy Play to accommodate Channel 7 feeds instead of Fox. The reasons surround online streaming rights for games and an agreement to show the FTA feed intact instead of what they usually do with FTA priority games (still show commercial-free but with Seven production and commentary).

So I wouldn't be surprised if similar arrangements are made with Kayo simply because it is also a Foxtel-owned online streaming service like Foxtel Now. Just with better features and quality.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

My problem is it sounds too good to be true. This is because I expect that if Foxtel loses its stranglehold on Aussie sports it will lose satellite and cable subscribers in droves. Personally I don't think Foxtel is worth subscribing to, even for sport, but if Foxtel offers any value at all it is only in its sports content. If this service has the same coverage and quality as the satellite and cable sports service, and no ads, people would get far better value from combining Kayo Sports and a Netflix subscription. I don't think Foxtel has yet decided to simply write-off its investment in satellite and cable infrastructure. So I'm waiting to see what the catch is. What is going to stop people ditching their expensive Satellite and Cable packages? I hope there is no catch, but I fear that there will be.

Premium Member
    Thanks

It's an interesting time. I really hope they stick with the current pricing model for Kayo because the value is great compared with what we are used to.

I honestly think Rupert is caving in. Netflix, etc has definitely damaged traditional Foxtel. Foxtel Now was a failure. We know they want to kill it off judging by how disappointed the CEO is with its performance. It just isn't good enough and doesn't offer the same pricing or experience as Netflix.

I wouldn't be surprised if a purely on-demand Netflix style Foxtel service will launch with a competitive price. People will buy it if it has the titles. If he wants to claw back the $70/month subscribers he lost, then he needs to launch 2 or 3 more apps tailored for specific audiences. Kayo for sport, something for premium drama and movies, something else for kids and families or even news junkies. One genre at a time, $15/month max. Time to get the ball rolling.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

DB44 (30-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

But there are still differences with AFL coverage between linear Foxtel and Foxtel Now. Fox Footy isn't entirely the same, rebadged as Footy Play to accommodate Channel 7 feeds instead of Fox.
    I don’t watch AFL, so wasn’t aware that Fox Sports rebroadcasts/rebadges some network feeds. Time will tell what will be available via Kayo, but any sports solely on FTA channels definitely won’t be.

Essentially whatever is available on Foxtel (with some exceptions like EPL channels) is available via Kayo, according to their own media hype. They do mention specifically ‘Foxtel’, and not Now/Go/etc, but will likely need to wait for the AFL season to confirm.

Thanks

never heard of it till you posted it here , then this morning
    i was heading up to brissy and they have massive signs
    on 2 overpass's saying stream 50 sports channels.

Premium Member

Thanks

I wouldn't be surprised if a purely on-demand Netflix style Foxtel service will launch with a competitive price. People will buy it if it has the titles. If he wants to claw back the $70/month subscribers he lost, then he needs to launch 2 or 3 more apps tailored for specific audiences. Kayo for sport, something for premium drama and movies, something else for kids and families or even news junkies. One genre at a time, $15/month max. Time to get the ball rolling.
    Was that reality show streaming service? Heyu or something?

Was that Foxtel collaboration?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

that's sneaky marketing...

it says stream 50 sports live and on demand, not 50 channels......

there are only 7 fox sports channels (501 to 507), fox news , espn and espn2 and bein 1,2 and 3. NO eurosport 1 and 2, which has the snooker and darts....

so in reality you are just getting a stripped down version of foxtel sports package.

if you dont like soccer and us sports, all you are getting is fox sports 1 to 7.

but it is a cheap alternative if that's all you need...
    Last edited by hoe; 05-02-19 at 01:33 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

For cricket, you get everything that Cricket Australia stream, which includes Sheffield shield, tour matches and women's matches. Foxtel don't broadcast a lot of that.

The AFL global pass goes for about $190. So even if you just want the AFL, it's on par with that, without needing a VPN.

I think the killer feature will be if they expand to include interactive stuff on the screen. Like being able to bring up stats or turn off commentary. You could have something that reacts on screen whenever one of your Fantasy players gets a stat.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

there is an interactive feature, but nothing yet....

Premium Member

Thanks

I wonder if the end point will be back at bundled services where you pay $50 a month and get Netflix, Kayo, Hayu and Stan*.

* there has to be a thing in it you don't want.

Administrator
    Thanks

I flicked Kayo on to laugh at the women's footy (seriously, you should check it out, its like watching the under 9's) and it was a 7 telecast according to the logo.

Only had it on for 10 seconds and a chick kicked it so badly even the crowd was laughing.

All that aside, I think it would be safe to say that we will get shitty FTA broadcasts on it (with ads) instead of dedicated Fox coverage (with no ads) the same as Foxtel Now.. Oh well, cant complain for the money that's for sure.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Kayo Android Version Restrictions

I see KAYO quote a min of Android 6 for their product to work

Has anyone got this running on earlier version of Android?

Very restrictive on Machine OS version too (Mac and Windows)
    Last edited by ol' boy; 16-04-19 at 07:53 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!