Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post your Power Usage

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Z80, I am laughing because Australia has a population density of 2.6/km^2 compared to lets say Germany with 232/km^2
    You actually believe that raw surface area is a relevant way to calculate the sustainability of an environment?

How much food is grown in Alice Springs? Or Greenland?

I am pleased to inform you that we have a birth rate of 1.79 so your only problem should be only the immigration rate that is increasing our population by around 1% a year.
    Actually, the government has increased our immigration intake from 200k to 330k people per year for the next three years.

So it is closer to 1.6% population growth due to immigration.

A birth rate of 1.79 indicates an average annual pop growthy rate of 3.79/2 every 25 years.

That's 1.9% +1.6% = 3.5% annualised.

70/3.5= 20 years for the population to double.

That is unsustainable in Australia.

You may have the brown coal to burn to make power, but you will not have enough water for the steam with 40 million thirsty people all huddled around a thin green veneer on the east coast.

No amount of CFL's etc will be enough.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I believe Australia has far more fertile land and resources to offer than Greenland and many other countries carrying a much higher density.

The birth rate figure is 1.79-1.81(an estimate) for the lifetime of a female in Australia, not % babies per year.
    To sustain a population figure we would need 2.0, so from that side of the story we have a negative birth rate.

According to

our growth rate estimate is 1.01 in the period 2005-2011 which is roughly 1% as I said.
    That would mean that we need slightly less than 70 years to double.
    However it is expected that the above mentioned fertility birth rate will significantly decrease like it is happening right now in other developed counties, to stay with Germany only 1.3 babies per female.
    My experience has shown me that in many things we are simply 10 years behind...they had also been using CFLs 10 years before they became popular here

No, seriously I do believe the predictions from ppl who have looked into these things that our birth rate will continue to drop.
    I just have to listen to the teenagers of today. Most of them don't really want kids.

To my knowledge that 300,000 immigrant plan is a first timer for 2008/9. I doubt that will continue for ever.

You guys are all victims of media scares again. We not become another Bangladesh.
    We have a lot more to worry about than our growth rate, if worrying is our ambition.

Interesting to look at the list here:

how high the fertility birth rate is in the Islam oriented countries, even compared to the classic overpopulated countries... does look a bit scary.

Well I suppose they don't use as much power as us... too busy making babies.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Here are some people who disagree with you nomeat.

I for one reckon you are way off the mark in your estimates.

Thanks

i didnt want kids when i was a teen ager and dont know anyone who did so thats still the same,us with kids all said that one,then before you know it your changing nappies lol

Thanks

Australians are amongst the highest energy users per head of capital in the world , largely due to the huge take up of big flat screen TV's and Reverse Cycle Air cons , our energy consumption across the country has jumped by 20% since 2005 and continuing to grow at a staggering rate. Even if the population was to remain the same for 12 months our consumption would continue to grow.

Solar energy is getting more affordable and while many are taking the plunge it is still way of the reach of most especially if you want to make a noticeable difference to your electricity bills .

You could pre-pay your power bills for 20 years in advance and still be in front when compared to the cost of a decent solar generation system., not a lot of incentive for most unless you are concerned about reducing carbon levels that you contribute too.
    If your Bills are in the $800 per quarter range you would need to use all your roof and your neighbors just to install enough panels , the costs would be well in excess of $100K

There are a lot of ways we can reduce our power consumption , try reading your own meter and then see how much you can switch off that isnt really needed , then check again after 24 hrs , you might be very surprised

Thanks

Energy is wasted much more by those who can afford it or write it off as a business expense.

Examples :-

I did some work at a solicitor's palace and he had two split system airconditioners running with all the windows open.

Shopping malls are ridiculously cold in summer and ditto hot in winter.

Gross wastage.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by z80 View Post
    Here are some people who disagree with you nomeat.

I for one reckon you are way off the mark in your estimates.

Please to stick to demographic facts.

That is the typical media hype I was talking about.
    Does this Suzuki nut honestly believe that Australians have higher demands than (sorry again) the Germans?
    Think again. Just think alone about the heating energy required in winter over there. Think they don't eat well? ...or don't drive fast cars ....or don't have the latest technology with enormous power demands... about time you take a little trip and see what the rest of the world is dealing with.
    Mate, Aussie demands are much simpler and that is actually one if the reasons why I prefer it here.

I also thought it was clear that we are talking about Australia and now you just skip to the world population.
    No doubt there are many countries that are suffering from population explosion but to say Australia is one of them, is totally laughable.

Germany is less than half the size of NSW and 82million are living there in a civilised manner.
    Both have about the same fresh water surface, while Victoria has almost 20% more water surface than Germany.
    But the enery we could harness alone from the sun we get here could be several magnitudes higher.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Please to stick to demographic facts.

That is the typical media hype I was talking about.
    Does this Suzuki nut honestly believe that Australians have higher demands than (sorry again) the Germans?

Do I take the opinion of David Suzuki and others or that of a forum poster who resorts to emotive language to emphasize a point?

"You don't need along neck to be a goose."-mango (2007)

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123