Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post your Power Usage

Thanks

Default Post your Power Usage

Really interested to know what sort of power bills people are getting , have read that the average Australian home uses 16KWH (16 Units) per day.
    I find this hard to believe considering all the high energy usage appliances people are using , EG: Reverse Cycle Air Cons , Plasma's etc.
    Spoke to a guy last week who said his bill for every 2 months is always around $1000.00 mostly over that!! A Staggering 120 to 130 units per day!!, after talking to him they seem to have no consideration at all for what they are contributing as far pollution is concerned.

With some effort we have managed to reduce our consumption down to 21 units per day from 33 without impacting on our lifestyle in anyway apart from being aware of our wastage due to laziness.
    This is basically the difference between not paying any attention to usage versus being aware of usage.

There must be plenty out there that are energy wise and monitor their usage ??

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    With some effort we have managed to reduce our consumption down to 21 units per day from 33 without impacting on our lifestyle in anyway apart from being aware of our wastage due to laziness.
    Can you give me your energy saving Tips, as I hate paying $450-$550 a quarter
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by best4less View Post
    Can you give me your energy saving Tips, as I hate paying $450-$550 a quarter
    dont use my tips then mine are 800-900 every 1/4, but i do recharge commercial equipment that use 6 x 24volt deep cycle batteries though

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I had to laugh as work gave us a 20% discount if we transferred accross so of course you do. The bill this winter was the same as last winter with the discount. Approx same usage but the tarrifs have increased.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Around $450 a quarter.

I have 1.5 watt LED GU 10's , 11 watt fluorescent GU 10's and the rest of the house has economical fluorescent globes so lighting is as cheap as I can get it.

I have a Daikin split system for aircon which only gets used over summer as I use gas heating. I dont think I can really reduce my bill by much as I am home all day ( not by choice ) though I will probably spend a bit more time outdoors now that winter has gone.

Incidentally , my bill has dropped from $600 at my last house and this house is 2 and half times bigger. I put it down to more economical lighting , changing from a desktop to laptop and making more of an effort to make sure my kids turn things off when they are not in use. This house also has a 5 star rating.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Around $450 a quarter.

I have 1.5 watt LED GU 10's , 11 watt fluorescent GU 10's and the rest of the house has economical fluorescent globes so lighting is as cheap as I can get it.

I have a Daikin split system for aircon which only gets used over summer as I use gas heating. I dont think I can really reduce my bill by much as I am home all day ( not by choice ) though I will probably spend a bit more time outdoors now that winter has gone.

Incidentally , my bill has dropped from $600 at my last house and this house is 2 and half times bigger. I put it down to more economical lighting , changing from a desktop to laptop and making more of an effort to make sure my kids turn things off when they are not in use. This house also has a 5 star rating.
    Better insulation is the key and stopping drafts. I couldn't beleive the difference when I sealed up gaps etc, installed a couple of draft stoppers on exhaust fans, reinsulated the roof properly. The place was just so much warmer. Winter is $450/quarter and summer $250 and we are all electric using a split system and a panel heater over night.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

I get bills of around $800 a quarter...every quarter.

I am completely unfazed about the amount of carbon emissions I produce Joey.

The reason is that I believe it is up to the company that produces power to employ technology to stop the emissions...not the consumer.

And I don't mean with a "blame and shame" approach...

In any event the underlying problem is overpopulation, not consumption.

Next year they will be blaming us for having two lights on in a lounge room when we could easily be huddling around a single one.

We are stuffed cause we are having too many babies.

No environmental policies will save us.

Might as well make an orgy of it and burn it all.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

i am seriously thinking about running my entire lighting system on a solar system. solar panel, batteries, 12v low power lighting.......would reduce costs greatly I calculate??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    i am seriously thinking about running my entire lighting system on a solar system. solar panel, batteries, 12v low power lighting.......would reduce costs greatly I calculate??
    Unless you are home all day and sleep with the lights on, the proportion of lighting costs in your power bill may not be all that large. It may take several years before you break even on the startup costs and the batteries won't last forever, so an on going cost.

Thanks

I always thought it was the Hot Water system and Air Con that sucks the most power.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by best4less View Post
    I always thought it was the Hot Water system and Air Con that sucks the most power.
    Yep spot on.

Leroy

Thanks

i have two bills infront of me one is 18 kWh per day average the other is 21 kWh per day. We have gas hot water and gas heating with the occasional use of an electric oil radiaitor type heater. No washing ever makes it to the line, always goes in the dryer. There are two of us living in the house. I usually get pissed off if the bill gets much higher than that.

Thanks

Had a look at the last bill and I'm averaging 20.84kWh per day and it states last year I was averaging 23.81kWh and my emissions for last quarter was 1.90 tonnes. (I need to fart less)

Thanks

This 1/4 $721 fell off the chair i do have Reverse Cycle Air Cons , Plasma's 2 kids wife, a dog etc.
    1x Dm7000, 2x Dm500 SD
    11-11-11 - NOW PoxBox
    ------------------------

Thanks

Bloody dog is growing pot in your roof mate

Thanks

We pay around $500 per quarter
    Having at least 5 computers on almost all the time gets your bill up

Thanks

At my previous location my power bills were always around $120/qtr. since privatisation doubled the price.

At this place I have the same TV, PC, fridge, same radio gear etc., (but all the lights are CFLs in the new place) and the bill is $300. At the other place I had to pump all my rainwater, and never bothered with being frugal with the 240V. Now it's one light and either the TV/sat gear running or the PC and ham gear idling.

I had the supplier check the meter and of course it is correct ! Hot water power use is about the same at $30/qtr but the meter is a digital electronic thing - I reckon HF RF gets into the meter, but how to prove it ? It would be much nicer if the RF made the meter read low. I am supposed to be using 20+ kW/h a day and if so it would be 50 degrees C in the shed I live in...and it's not. Shed is lined and insulated, all appliances are turned off at the wall when not in use. I cannot understand the power use.

I bought a mains power meter and if I sit here with everything running off it including the fridge it says I use around 300W !

I believe power in Sth Oz is dearer than most states at $0.20 per kW/h in winter and $0.22 per kW/h in summer. Privatisation instantly doubled the price of power in S.A., something users in other states have to look forward to. 'Carbon taxing' will likely double the price again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 974 Posts

I have pay as you go which is a rechargable card.

I run a heat pump, plasma, 4 'puters, 4 showers a day & cooking. The house is all electric and I pay around $50.00/week during winter and $35.00/week in summer.
    We have had a 20% increase in the cost of power this year.
    Some people need to get their finger out of their arse so that the brain can get some oxygen"

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Last bill was $243.00 the one before that was $289.00 for the quarter and I am in Vic. Prior to the current utterly useless government it was around $220.00 per quarter.

Thanks

My bill is around $300 to $350 a pop...gas bill is really low cept in winter with the central heating
    Thats with 4 adults and 2 of them are home most of the time.
    I reckon my bill would be half that if the kids move out.lol

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast