Thread: DVB-T switch off in Europe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default DVB-T switch off in Europe

On my recent European trip I notice some broadcasters are switching off DVB-T all together in favour of streaming.... Following Belgium, Switzerland will go of DVB-T later this year....>>>

Will it happen here ? Looks like things are heading that way with 7 and 9 already have streaming only channels.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to B52 For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (06-02-19),carjackma (06-02-19),hazman (07-02-19),hinekadon (06-02-19),joezep (06-02-19),mkhannah (06-02-19),OSIRUS (06-02-19),shred (24-02-19),TVguy (12-02-19)

3. Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Might have done if we had FTTP, FTTN wouldn’t leave much bandwidth for anything else even using QOS, and obviously the further away from the node or poorer your connection the worse it becomes, except of course those who did get FTTP, the rest of us can watch good ol 576, if we’re lucky 😁
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

There's a lot of people who get crap speeds even with FTTP during peak demand times.

A mate with FTTP NBN through Telstra gets blistering speed when the network isn't busy, but often got better reliability from ADSL 2+ in the evenings.

Australia is soooo far behind many other countries with broadband delivery.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (07-02-19),joezep (07-02-19)

Thanks

I agree with MTV overall Aust NBN Co is crap, I am probably one of only a small percentage who gets consistently reliable NBN. I AM ON FTTN with Telstra. Not my first Choi PCR but at the time the only one I could get. I am 500mt from the node and get consistently 80/30. Even in the evenings. I live in a 20 year old suburb whose copper was the .6mm standard. But I know elsewhere some people are luck to crack 1mb download at night.

Yes the networks were already panicking 10 years ago about iptv.

The implementation of 5g over the next 5 years will be a big inducator on how streaming is taken up.

Most broadcasters would relish turning off TERESTRIAL Tv considering the liscence fees they have to pay and the cost of transmitter sites etc.

I can not see Aust doing a complete switch off. We are so far behind the rest of the world with regards technology,DVB T2 already being implemented in Europe. We are luck to have just 1 HD ch per provider.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    I agree with MTV overall Aust NBN Co is crap, I am probably one of only a small percentage who gets consistently reliable NBN. I AM ON FTTN with Telstra. Not my first Choi PCR but at the time the only one I could get. I am 500mt from the node and get consistently 80/30. Even in the evenings. I live in a 20 year old suburb whose copper was the .6mm standard. But I know elsewhere some people are luck to crack 1mb download at night.

Yes the networks were already panicking 10 years ago about iptv.

The implementation of 5g over the next 5 years will be a big inducator on how streaming is taken up.

Most broadcasters would relish turning off TERESTRIAL Tv considering the liscence fees they have to pay and the cost of transmitter sites etc.

I can not see Aust doing a complete switch off. We are so far behind the rest of the world with regards technology,DVB T2 already being implemented in Europe. We are luck to have just 1 HD ch per provider.
    Sufficient bandwidth for a second HD channel is available, if broadcasters use MPEG 4 technology, unfortunately they are spooked about loosing audience because of the number of pre 2006 MPEG 2 only TVs still in use (and also SD only tuners still in circulation). Despite this, SBS seem to be able to squeeze 2 x MPEG 4 HD channels and maintain a MPEG 2 SD version of their main channel, within their allocated frequencies.

The availability of MPEG 4 set top boxes for as little as $30 (on line) wont dissuade broadcasters to make the move to MPEG 4 only transmission. So in the great Australian tradition, stuck in a 'technology time warp'.

I am slightly more optimistic about online transmission given the compression rates that some streaming services are able to operate on. For example, watched episodes of British TV drama, the "Bodyguard" on Netflix recently with an allocated bit rate of 2.80mbps producing a perfectly watchable 1080p picture.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pc9 For This Useful Post:

Bobby Slogger (05-03-19),cmoore (25-02-19)