Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming GRN into XTS3000

Thanks

Default Programming GRN into XTS3000

Hey I'm in the RFS and just picked up my own Motorola on the cheap for at home scanning, working 100% just wondering if anyone could provide a codeplug or frequencies/talk group ids for grn channels in the RFS, ses, ambulance etc. I have the guy who programs radios in the Hawkesbury to help me program pmr channels, but he doesn't know all of the grn frequencies in nsw, as most regions have swapped from pmr to grn.

Thanks in advance

Look Here ->
    South Australia, Planet Earth, The Galaxy
    Thanks

Ambulance and Police are completely out of the question and to my knowledge are completely P25 encrypted.

I don't know the frequencies but make sure it's only used as a scanner. Anything else you need to go through the proper channels.

Poke around on Google, there should be some available.

It might also help to provide some more information on the radio so the people on here that are smarter than me can help you.

Thanks

Nick you ae COMPLETELY incorrect! Being he mentions RFS and GRN it would be NSW and no ambulance is not encrypted in NSW and only the coastal side of VKG is.

OP short answer is not really.

The XTS3000 was for the v1 of the GRN which is currently on v2. You can program it to scan the local voice member channels of the GRN and you might be able to get it to be picky about who it listens to using ASTRO TGIDs (I never could work that one out my 5000 just plays everything with that method and I'm not 100% sure the XTS3000 had that feature but should have. It will never trunktrack like the 2500 and 5000 can with NAS but can for sure listen to them voice channels. The only issue is if it won't ignore all but one TG then you will be hearinig EVERYTHING off that site and may miss a number of transmissions whilst locked on RMS or KJ or something else.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, at the moment all I have programmed is my bridges local channel, which still uses pmr so that was easy, just getting the grn channels might be difficult as you said. I have also to noticed that in cps the trunking personalitys are blanked out (read only?) and cannot add any.

I'm also completely new to this radio programming thing so have no idea how to program anything further than pmr, I have a list of control channels and talk groups but wouldn't have a clue how to put them in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks

It won't matter if you do put the ccs in as it can't P25 trunk. Also you can't ungrey without a syskey.

Thanks

No worries, Ill stick to local stuff then

South Australia, Planet Earth, The Galaxy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami_australia View Post
    Nick you are COMPLETELY incorrect! Being he mentions RFS and GRN it would be NSW and no ambulance is not encrypted in NSW and only the coastal side of VKG is.

OP short answer is not really.

The XTS3000 was for the v1 of the GRN which is currently on v2. You can program it to scan the local voice member channels of the GRN and you might be able to get it to be picky about who it listens to using ASTRO TGIDs (I never could work that one out my 5000 just plays everything with that method and I'm not 100% sure the XTS3000 had that feature but should have. It will never trunktrack like the 2500 and 5000 can with NAS but can for sure listen to them voice channels. The only issue is if it won't ignore all but one TG then you will be hearinig EVERYTHING off that site and may miss a number of transmissions whilst locked on RMS or KJ or something else.
    Apologies, I figured with the amount of sensitive information moving on the frequencies for ASNSW it would be encrypted like it is here in South Australia. I made the assumption that if we had it all locked up here on the SAGRN that NSW GRN would definitely have it.

Do they have plans to encrypt it? It seems like a very vulnerable thing to be left open to scanning.

Also, Lachie. Told you the smart people would know better than what I do

Thanks

Not that anyone has been made aware of and given most of their stuff is MDT and mobile phone it's not likely to happen (cost to benefit). Only the police here in NSW have a stick up the cloaka despite having ANPRS, MDT, IPAD etc they seem to feel scared and want more safety.

Encryption is not free with the radio it costs huge amounts of money and frankly isn't justified in all but special ops cases.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hi all,
    you can do like a conventional channel scan of each voice frequency of your local GRN site. I've done it for people in the past and works ok. You then have to set up the talk groups you want to listen to otherwise you'll m hear all on that site. It is painful and clunky to use though but can be a workaround.
    You might be a bit late though, the GRN in NSW is about to go phase 2 in the next little while.
    Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VK2MRC View Post
    Hi all,
    you can do like a conventional channel scan of each voice frequency of your local GRN site. I've done it for people in the past and works ok. You then have to set up the talk groups you want to listen to otherwise you'll m hear all on that site. It is painful and clunky to use though but can be a workaround.
    You might be a bit late though, the GRN in NSW is about to go phase 2 in the next little while.
    Cheers
    That's sounds pretty good, but like you said it might phase 2 already, willing to give it a try though, are you able to run me through on the process?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hi all,
    Yep get the voice channel info from various parts on the net, Google is your friend here. Won't need the control channels. Grab the site NAC too. Get the talkgroup IDs to for later on.
    Stick the voice channels in your radio remembering to tick receive only on each personality. Don't forget the NAC too. Remember you can only run 16 channels per scan list. Name your channels however you like say either by frequency of by site say Kurrajong 1-15.
    Next you'll need to get the talkgroup ID'S and set them up in a Astro talkgroup list, eg 10331 Sydney 9 Rural Ops, 10130 111 MW3A etc. You get up to 16 talkgroup in those list. You may want to put TG65535 as it will all allow all traffic to pass. Go back to your conventional personalities and click the Astro talkgroup tag. Tick the box talkgroup, make it selectable and have the talkgroup list as per site. You can have multiple sites per list.
    Go to the Astro tab and make sure the unmute rule is selective squelch.
    Set each site channel list up into a scan list. Make sure each is set to Auto scan.
    Go to the display, menu items and enable TGRP so you can select the talkgroup you wish to monitor.
    Repeat that process across the sites you wish to monitor.
    As I said it's clunky and limited but it works. A busy site may hamper things.
    See how you go.
    Cheers

Thanks

Not sure what you call a little whilst as the only gov department running TDMA compatible radios atm that I'm aware of is SES. Interesting thing here I've already had an ex SES radio sold off and come across my desk by the buyer and in typical government style it still had more info than it should programmed into it.

Sure give it 5 years it will likely be TDMA (phase 2) but I wouldn't expect it in the next 2 to 3. Expect a mass purge of Motorola XTL/XTS gear if and when it happens though frankly they don't have the need to change over as our capitals aren't exactly like la or ny.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VK2MRC View Post
    Hi all,
    Yep get the voice channel info from various parts on the net, Google is your friend here. Won't need the control channels. Grab the site NAC too. Get the talkgroup IDs to for later on.
    Stick the voice channels in your radio remembering to tick receive only on each personality. Don't forget the NAC too. Remember you can only run 16 channels per scan list. Name your channels however you like say either by frequency of by site say Kurrajong 1-15.
    Next you'll need to get the talkgroup ID'S and set them up in a Astro talkgroup list, eg 10331 Sydney 9 Rural Ops, 10130 111 MW3A etc. You get up to 16 talkgroup in those list. You may want to put TG65535 as it will all allow all traffic to pass. Go back to your conventional personalities and click the Astro talkgroup tag. Tick the box talkgroup, make it selectable and have the talkgroup list as per site. You can have multiple sites per list.
    Go to the Astro tab and make sure the unmute rule is selective squelch.
    Set each site channel list up into a scan list. Make sure each is set to Auto scan.
    Go to the display, menu items and enable TGRP so you can select the talkgroup you wish to monitor.
    Repeat that process across the sites you wish to monitor.
    As I said it's clunky and limited but it works. A busy site may hamper things.
    See how you go.
    Cheers
    I thought they would all be trunking frequinces? As I explained I won't be able to modify the trunking stuff until i get a system key from our radio guy, I have already programmed in the local channel which used Astro 25 conventional and scanning.

Thanks for the help anyway, I will try and do it still, to see what I get, would something like this website be alright?

Using the black text frequencies?

Thanks

Yes use the voice member frequencies per site off that though you may need NAC as well?

All the trunking side does is make a path across all voted sites, tracks which radio is where and tells each radio what voice channel to go to when they want to talk or another member of the talkgroup is transmitting. All the voice side per site is still for the moment P25 conventional itself it's the tracking that's not conventional.

Non affil scan doesn't track which is why it works for a 3k rather it just scans all the voice channels that could be used waiting for a hit.

Thanks

Yes use the voice member frequencies per site off that though you may need NAC as well?

All the trunking side does is make a path across all voted sites, tracks which radio is where and tells each radio what voice channel to go to when they want to talk or another member of the talkgroup is transmitting. All the voice side per site is still for the moment P25 conventional itself it's the tracking that's not conventional.

Non affil scan doesn't track which is why it works for a 3k rather it just scans all the voice channels that could be used waiting for a hit.
    Now it makes sense, thanks for clearing that up, not sure their is nac for them not one I can find, I'll try and put it in, but will problem need your help, I struggled with putting in pmr

Premium Member
    Thanks

Not sure what you call a little whilst as the only gov department running TDMA compatible radios atm that I'm aware of is SES. Interesting thing here I've already had an ex SES radio sold off and come across my desk by the buyer and in typical government style it still had more info than it should programmed into it.
    Sure give it 5 years it will likely be TDMA (phase 2) but I wouldn't expect it in the next 2 to 3. Expect a mass purge of Motorola XTL/XTS gear if and when it happens though frankly they don't have the need to change over as our capitals aren't exactly like la or ny.

Um, the ambos are running phase 2 compliant radios state wide in the form of Tait TM and TP 9400's. Not sure if you've seen the changes but it's all but done.
    Even the RFS are running APX 8000's in some areas on trial until the rollout starts.

Phase 2 is coming much sooner than you think.

Cheers
    Last edited by VK2MRC; 17-02-19 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks

So I've sort of worked it out, but one questions I've got is, for the scan list of all the talk frequencies of the repeaters in various locations, in each personality do I need to add the talkgroup ID for the stationi want to listen for each repeater personality or just the personality with scan enabled? Seems locigal the second option but don't know. I'm guessing for the repeater personality I just add frequency and set to astro and nothing else. But for the personality with scan enabled, what do I put as frequency and I put the tgid into this one? Sorry but I'm completely new to it all.

Thanks

It's up to you how you set it up but I'd likely have put a site per zone. I believe you will have to do the TGID in ASTRO to avoid the hear all.

Now as for the phase 2 upgrade, I'm actually typing this whilst sitting in the communications room here of the local rural fire service district (have a shift today) and in the rack is still XTL5000s and the handheld on my desk here is an XTS5000. Just because the client radios are becoming P2 doesn't mean the repeaters will be for a bit as they simply aren't needed for most sites. Also a lot of brigades have Tait TP9100's they need replacing which will be a very big job. GRN is due here by 2020 and only the links are licensed thus far no CC's or VC's so if it does come straight in P2 I'll have to seek a 996P2 scanner or something for the car until I can afford my APX8000 lime green and do whatever in the house.

Thanks

It's up to you how you set it up but I'd likely have put a site per zone. I believe you will have to do the TGID in ASTRO to avoid the hear all.

Now as for the phase 2 upgrade, I'm actually typing this whilst sitting in the communications room here of the local rural fire service district (have a shift today) and in the rack is still XTL5000s and the handheld on my desk here is an XTS5000. Just because the client radios are becoming P2 doesn't mean the repeaters will be for a bit as they simply aren't needed for most sites. Also a lot of brigades have Tait TP9100's they need replacing which will be a very big job. GRN is due here by 2020 and only the links are licensed thus far no CC's or VC's so if it does come straight in P2 I'll have to seek a 996P2 scanner or something for the car until I can afford my APX8000 lime green and do whatever in the house.
    Yes I am planning to do that, but what I don't get is which personality does the frequency go on and which does the tgid go in, because their are multiple frequencies to choose from for each tower, or do I just pick one frequency? Then assign the same frequency to each tgid in that region/zone

Thanks

I haven't played with the xts3k so not 100% but I believe it's more like the Jedi to program?

If like the Jedi then each channel in zone would need a corresponding single entity personality to itself (APX does this as well unfortunately) but if more like the XTS2500 & XTS5000 then each site/zone could have it's own personality. You set your personalities as needed and select in one of the last tabs (2.5 & 5k) called ASTRO IIRC that you will be using "talkgroups". Set your frequencies in the zone for each site and setup your scan group for each site then attach that scan group number in the personality to lock it in place. Then in the ASTRO menu section in conventional IIRC you add your talkgroups and names for them in the lists there. Hope this helps.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast