Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Motors to Sell Holden

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    ...but what else has been good in recent years ?
    Would be interesting to know.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    And that is exactly what the majority of the Australian public did not want and GMH continued to ignore that, along with Ford - hence why they extinct now.
    Yes, I agree. Market preferences/ demands shifted and they kept building cars like they always had.

Commodores and falcons may have been OK as part of the line up along with other home built offerings but I don't think they should have been the mainstays.
    That said, ford had the 4 Cyl falcon and I don't think that flew too well either.

I have only ever owned a couple of Euros and they were a Fking reliability Disaster. wasn't just mine either. Friends had the same problems with the same cars and when we all switched to other euros, things got no better. It was always niggly little pissy things that were usualy not hard to fix but just never ended. you'd do one thing and think I'll do this while im at it just in case and the next day it would be something else. I don't see they are any more reliable now than the last of the home growns or the jap/ Koreans.
    One mate bought a new alfa, the other a Fiat. Life changing decisions. The problems were endless as was the stress and cost. One bought a turbo falcon and never looked back and the other went for a Camry and is on about his 3rd now.

The worst thing you can buy however is anything American.

I have a well heeled cousin that owns several Stealerships. He couldn't get out of the Chrysler/ Jeeps fast enough. Another guy I know is an accessory fitter for different dealerships. Reckons you can watch the jeeps coming back on tow trucks every 30 min all day every day. Cousin replaced Jeep with Kia and deeply regrets it. Regrets he didn't take them on in the first place instead of the jeep crap. He reckoned they cost his reputation as a dealer a lot of credibility.

Straw that broke that camels back was when he gave the Mrs a brand new Jeep they went through before they handed it over and it broke down next day while she was in the middle of no where. Sent someone out to get her in another one and they didn't make it either. Put the start of wrapping up the franchise into practice the next day and gave the Mrs a used C63 to keep her off his back for a while.

Brother in law was asked to work interstate for a month and part of the deal sweetner was a new mustang to drive while he was there.
    He's a Ford guy through and through but reckoned it was a POS and his sprint would leave the thing for dead in comfort and handling. Said it was like a bowl of porridge in the corners and the only thing about it was it looked nice. Gave the thing back thinking he had got a lemon and got another one and it was exactly the same. Put a dent in his alligence. Gave the 2nd one back after a fortnight and bought himself a very nice territory he found up there and drove it back for the Mrs and gave her older territory to the newly licensed son.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (14-02-19),VroomVroom (14-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    but what else has been good in recent years ?
    I'll chime in here as well - my experiences with my new 2.8 Prado have not been wonderful either , and they used to be a good car once. Ive had the battery , timing chains , DPF , fuel filter housing , transfer case shift forks , heater hoses and airbag sensors replaced under warranty so far. 3 times on a tow truck back to dealer. The paint is amazingly thin crap and now some of the door locks are stuffed. At least Toyota have been ok with warranty issues but its taken some "insistance" or pestering.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (14-02-19),ol' boy (14-02-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Oh what a feeling!

And on the Holden front, didn't real Holden die years ago?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 14-02-19 at 01:01 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Dont want to get into a sh!tfight here but the build quality, reliability, peformance of my VEII SS was excellent and comparable to any of my friends with Euros and Asians. We all compared them and there was practically no difference except mine had a tow ball and could tow theirs.

You can screw performance out of ANYTHING, but long term RELIABLE performance is a different kettle of fish. I'd back mine to get there every time on a long drive on Aussie country roads. I did trips to Perth...all over WA, QLD rural and it never let me down. Well, except for the head on with a Mazda that is.

The VF Redline I now own had a recall after engine failure, so It's not as good in that regard, although a Christmas thrash all over Qld afterward, and it's been perfect.

"Sorry but my Euro car is far more reliable than any Holden, has better build quality " Crap.

Oh, I'll probably buy a euro next time ..... but that was the plan anyway, although the Stinger appeals.
    We own a VF 2017 Redline and I bet your problem was the your rockers and they were known for this and it was a easy fix. Some has electric power steeling failure due to poor harness connection close to the box itself otherwise this the six speed man and the 6.2 ltr engine was indestructible. The only thing I hate is THE STALE MYLINK Sat Nav Maps which inclused the Speed and red Light Cameras. Gruuuuuuuh!!
    I only have Holden all my Life, I still have two Monaro's, One VR shopping car. I knew this was going to happen. Fu.k GM As they drain the Money out of Holden when the VE was in full production and this.
    By the way Australian has the Most different makes and models of any car of any country in the World but only has 23 mil people living here. I blame our Politicians for Holden demise.
    Our Vr Comm I purchase it when it was a demo 25 years ago and has done now around 340,000K on the clock still the original eng and auto + the diff. All I have changed in 25 years is Spark plugs, Leads, Coil Pack, brake pads, air cleaners, 2 radiators, one water pump, windscreen wipers and that about it. euro Cars Argggghhh My Neighbours owns a Audi, He has spend $15000 in the last two years to keep it on the road.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 15-02-19 at 10:07 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (18-02-19)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12