Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS to stop working ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Just Jumped through the hoops to update my Tom tom.
    Supposedly all good now. I'll have 400 Km to test it when I drive home tomorrow night. Given the cops never miss an opportunity to revenue raise under the Guise of safety, always good to have an accurate speedo and a record of max speed if needed.

That pales into comparison with trying to keep up with the every sprawling suburbs and continually changing roads around western Shith..... Sydney atm.

Thanks

12 year old S90i which has served me faithfully until now with third party mapping appears to have fallen victim.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Don't know if there will be an update for it but mine was luckily returned to full functioning order thankfully.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Seems some of the older NNG (iGO) software that runs on WindowsCE has been affected by this rollover.
    I have iGO8.3.4.102680 and Primo 2.4 and both are affected.
    If using the satellites to sync time & date it causes a few issues, Primo reverts to GMT time with a date of 1999.
    iGO8 the time keeps jumping around all over the place every few seconds.
    And the devices themselves, separate from the iGO software, are showing current years as 2080, 2099 etc. etc. and change everytime they're reset, never seeming to go below about the year 2060.
    Disabling the satellite time sync & setting the time manually seems to sort it out for now, navigation etc. still seems to function ok.

One exception is is OziExplorerCE software, on all the same devices it shows the time & date correctly every time.

EDIT:
    It's only the el-cheapo Chinese WinCE devices I have that seem to have these issues, the more expensive Navig[8]r WinCE devices appear to work fine.
    Last edited by Jma; 03-06-19 at 05:31 PM. Reason: More Info

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

MrRadio (04-06-19),Tiny (03-06-19)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Looking a bit like it's also caused an issue or two with my old Garmin GPS 60.
    It connects to satellites fine, shows the correct date/time, navigates properly etc. etc. but I noticed today when taking it with me on a 300+ k run with 30 or so stops along the way it's trip meter parameter of 'stopped time' no longer works as it should.
    When pulled up now & viewing the map screen it's constantly changing orientation every second as if it's still moving slowly & the speed indicator shows anywhere between zero & about 0.5 kph most of the time it's stationary.

At the end of a nearly 7 hour journey with many stops the trip data showed a total time and moving time exactly the same, and the stopped time was 00:00, the trip meter used to be very accurate for showing moving stopped and total times etc..
    I also noticed on the GPS page the position/location accuracy has changed, all the years I've used the 60's it's never shown lower than about 5 metres for location accuracy, now after it's been connected for a while it shows accuracy of 1 metre and stays at that.
    Will report back after I get some free time to do more testing of the 60 and my other devices to see what works correctly & what doesn't

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    Looking a bit like it's also caused an issue or two with my old Garmin GPS 60.
    Hmm, my old 2008 model Garmin E-Trex Vista (which would be a few years older than the GPS 60) is working Ok as far as I know, but you got me curious, so I'll take it with me today & see if it behaves like yours or not.
    I'll report back.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Jma (05-06-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Most units (various brands) still 'work' but accuracy is the issue... out by up to 500 metres.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Most units (various brands) still 'work' but accuracy is the issue... out by up to 500 metres.
    Wow! 500m.
    just did a walk with my old Garmin E-Trex Vista, all fields working correctly; accuracy got down to 3m which is best it can do, varied depending on tree coverage, back out to 16m, then clear sky 3m.
    Moving time, stopped time & total time, all made sense to me. .
    Appears to be as accurate as it's capable of, following the map trails & back to home waypoint.

@Jma, maybe you try a firmware update.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Jma (05-06-19)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    @Jma, maybe you try a firmware update.
    It's already the latest, dated 2006.
    Tried it anyway overwriting what was on there, no go, still does the same thing.
    Unfortunately I need the trip meter's times to be accurate, and apart from this new glitch with the time stopped the rest of it seems to work ok as always.
    The Montana 610 I bought last year played up like this after the rollover too, but a firmware update sorted it out.
    Pretty disappointing actually, the old monochrome screen 60's can run all day with the screen always sunlight readable on a single pair of AA batteries, while the Montana is in some ways a better unit, it is bigger, heavier, a battery hog unless the screen is turned down that low it's basically useless in sunlight, and for some stupid reason Garmin made it pretty much impossible to reset the overall Odometer, whereas it can be reset easily with the 60's, independantly of the trip odometer

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

It's already the latest, dated 2006.
    Tried it anyway overwriting what was on there, no go, still does the same thing.
    As the GPS 60 is a later motel than my Etrex I would think it must be something other than the rollover that's caused it.

So you could try a Reset to factory on it which will clear any erroneous data that may be causing the issue.
    Unfortunately it will also erase any user stored data & settings. You could back up your data (tracks & waypoints) before resetting though.

Reset to Factory for Garmin GPS 60 & many others can be found at the link below & will also tell you how to proceed after a reset.

Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Jma (05-06-19),tristen (05-06-19)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Thank you Tiny, looks like a factory reset might have solved it's issue/s.
    Appears the time stopped parameter is working as expected again now, will test it out properly tomorrow.
    I went to bookmark that link & discovered I'd already done so sometime in the past...no idea when, long enough ago to forget about it apparently.
    The factory firmware it comes with appears to be the latest

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

Tiny (06-06-19)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

All good today

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

All good today
    Awesome, I love happy endings.
    Cheers, Tiny

Jma (06-06-19)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12