Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Media Player like WD but with Kodi and remote control app

  1. #1
    Member statesmanjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    370
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Reputation
    222

    Default Media Player like WD but with Kodi and remote control app

    I am looking for a media player that hosts Kodi but allows remote control through home wifi like my Western Digital media centre and its android compatible remote control app.
    My WD is located in my server room and is plugged into a DVB-T modulator and transmitted to all TV's in the house in 1080P as an additional TV channel. Works brilliantly.
    I can sit in any room and open the WD app on my mobile or tablet and have full control of the Media player via a great GUI on the tablet / phone. Connects to my WD in the server room via home wifi network.
    Unfortunately Kodi cannot be installed on a WD.
    Does anyone know of a media centre that hosts kodi and has an android compatible app that can connect to same wired/wireless network and allow remote control of media centre.



Look Here ->
  • #2
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,326
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 721 Times in 388 Posts
    Rep Power
    408
    Reputation
    12816

    Default Media Player like WD but with Kodi and remote control app

    Several years I switched my WD out for a Mi Box 3 to allow Kodi, etc. Havenít look back.

    I donít use it via the same remote method, itís plugged directly into an older TV. However it can be operated via remote control apps (such as Android TV app) that should operate in the way you need. It can connect to your network either wired (will need a USB to LAN adaptor) or wireless (both 2+5GHz).

    The Mi Box ĎSí is out now, for under $100, and is the successor to the 3. Definitely worth a look.

    Edit: Heís a link to deal from another post on this forum:
    Last edited by peteramjet; 24-02-19 at 08:41 AM.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

    statesmanjeff (24-02-19)

  • #3
    Senior Member
    Philquad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    nelson bay
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,759
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 730 Posts
    Rep Power
    570
    Reputation
    15318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statesmanjeff View Post
    I am looking for a media player that hosts Kodi but allows remote control through home wifi like my Western Digital media centre and its android compatible remote control app.
    My WD is located in my server room and is plugged into a DVB-T modulator and transmitted to all TV's in the house in 1080P as an additional TV channel. Works brilliantly.
    I can sit in any room and open the WD app on my mobile or tablet and have full control of the Media player via a great GUI on the tablet / phone. Connects to my WD in the server room via home wifi network.
    Unfortunately Kodi cannot be installed on a WD.
    Does anyone know of a media centre that hosts kodi and has an android compatible app that can connect to same wired/wireless network and allow remote control of media centre.
    yea you grab 1 of these
    then put teamviewer on it

    why do we need the NBN ? because the copper network is constipated & needs fibre

  • The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

    Guiseppe (25-02-19),statesmanjeff (24-02-19)

  • #4
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, NE.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,477
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked 502 Times in 347 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Reputation
    6838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    yea you grab 1 of these
    then put teamviewer on it

    How do you rate these Phil ?

  • #5
    Senior Member
    Philquad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    nelson bay
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,759
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 730 Posts
    Rep Power
    570
    Reputation
    15318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loanrangiel View Post
    How do you rate these Phil ?
    cheap & nasty, but, for $50
    some have kodi netflux etc built in, which is great as you can factory reset if if it stuffs up, no need to add apps
    altho i hate kodi, over rated, never works properly & they call cams blu-ray

    these work really good with usb thingys, hdds or sticks, x265 is a must on it, turns 2gb vids into 700mb < check on specs)
    remotes are a bit crappy, but they work.

    they dont network very good, you can but its slow going.
    overall 7/10
    why do we need the NBN ? because the copper network is constipated & needs fibre

  • The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

    Guiseppe (01-03-19),loanrangiel (27-02-19)

  • #6
    Member statesmanjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    370
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Reputation
    222

    Default

    Found a free remote appropriately called Android remote. Just waiting for the Media player to arrive. I think i have solved my problems.
    1 media centre in the server room, transmitted to all the TV's as another HD tv Channel via DVB-T modulator and controlled in any room with wifi access.
    Can finally chuck out the useless WD media centre

  • #7
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,326
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 721 Times in 388 Posts
    Rep Power
    408
    Reputation
    12816

    Default

    What media player did you end up going with statesmanjeff?

  • #8
    Member h8fg4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    365
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 97 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    177
    Reputation
    1424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statesmanjeff View Post
    Found a free remote appropriately called Android remote. Just waiting for the Media player to arrive. I think i have solved my problems.
    1 media centre in the server room, transmitted to all the TV's as another HD tv Channel via DVB-T modulator and controlled in any room with wifi access.
    Can finally chuck out the useless WD media centre

    What DVB-T modulator do u use and or can anyone recommend a good one

  • #9
    Member statesmanjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    370
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Reputation
    222

    Default

    I went with the MXQ PRO 4k media centre that Philquad recommend above. It should arrive today. The DVB-T modulator is
    . There is a thread in the terrestrial TV forum about modulators.
    The modulator is working a charm and 1080p is good. I feed it back into the house using a 2 way splitter in reverse, antenna on one side, modulator on the other then straight into a 4 way splitter off to each room. So far I have tested the modulator with a satellite decoder, western digital media player, Blue ray player and a google chromecast. Everything except the chromecast worked perfectly. The MXQ pro has chromecast built in so im not too fussed. I have no idea why the chromecast did not work.
    Last edited by statesmanjeff; 01-03-19 at 02:36 PM.

  • The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to statesmanjeff For This Useful Post:

    Guiseppe (02-03-19),h8fg4 (03-03-19)

  • #10
    Senior Member
    Guiseppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,340
    Thanks
    853
    Thanked 327 Times in 214 Posts
    Rep Power
    264
    Reputation
    5504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statesmanjeff View Post
    On special till about 19:00 AEDT today.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

    "What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

  • Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •