Thread: Kitchen appliance reccommendations

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Default Kitchen appliance reccommendations

Its time to replace our kitchen along with all of the appliances , so i am seeking reccommendations of which brands to buy and which to avoid. Looking at buying a whole package really , but will buy individual components if need be.

reliability , parts availability / cost , easy repair and longish term life (10 y + ) are the main things i'm looking for , not high performance

appliances required will be -

Microwave , just a standard one
    Fridge , normal single door , separate freezer , approx 400L
    underbench oven , 600mm , either pryolitic or one i have to clean normally
    cooktop , electric , standard 4 element black glass ceramic surface
    dishwasher , standard 14 place underbench
    rangehood , will probably go with a slide out led light model.

the brands available in town from the limited number of retailers are -

Electrolux
    Chef
    Westinghouse
    Bosch
    Omega
    Smeg
    Ariston
    Fisher and Paykel
    ASKO
    AEG

Most brands are 1 year warranty except for Bosch which is 2 years and Ariston 5 years.

Ive bought some of these in the past with mixed results. EG - my first Chef stove , bought in 1988 lasted for over 20 years no issues but the one that replaced it needed simmerstats and wiring loom replaced under warranty in the first 12 months. so replaced that with F&P which is still going well. Done some online research and Ariston is poorly ranked despite 5 yr warranty.

any ideas / experiences ? good or bad ?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I have to go through this pain this year also

A few years ago i posted about Dishwashers and spent a ridiculous amount of time researching which one to get
    Came down to 3:

Bosch (German), on price and performance $850
    Miele, on hopeful build quality and long service life, and its super quite $1850

and ASKO was recommended by an Appliance Repair Man when i called for his advise
    (considering he spends his life fixing appliances)
    His reasoning was ASKO only has 1 logic board, where as Miele have 3

We purchased the Miele
    That was 5 years ago and its been flawless and whisper quite
    (In saying that, the Bosch was a close second and there is nothing to say it wouldn't be just as good)
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (04-03-19)

Thanks

I do like the Bosch stuff , but despite being a German brand and all , they are made in Turkey!! a third world shit hole.

Banned
    Thanks

Recommend you go for an induction cooktop. Response is amazing and control is very fine. Only problem is the need for magnetic base appliances for the induction to work. I have had two, different brands, and both are still working well. One is about 8 years old and the other is about 3 years old.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gordonwh40 For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (12-03-19),lsemmens (04-03-19),VroomVroom (04-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    I do like the Bosch stuff , but despite being a German brand and all , they are made in Turkey!! a third world shit hole.
    Not all of them
    Some in Thailand, some Turkey, some in Germany
    (why i mentioned the German built one)

I have a post on here about the dishwashers, somewhere.

As for all your other needs, i think it is hard to pick on brand these days
    It is very unlike 30 years ago.
    (I still have our families cooktop and oven, its been in 3 houses!!!
    It would be 35 years old and it still works fine. Its had 1 oven element and 1 thermostat in all that time and i use it every day)

Ringing a Appliance Repairer might be a thought... Ask him what he thinks these days

As i mentioned, i to will be getting new appliance when the new kitchen goes in
    I have no idea what i'll get, but it will probably be a balance between Price and Quality if possible

I would suggest you steer clear of any appliance made for used by any of the major house building companies (metricon, simonds, etc)
    They have been the only appliances i have seen problems with, some not even 12 months old

Sadly i also remove top dollar appliances like Miele that have seen no use, purely because the owner wants to change the kitchen colour
    They just toss them
    Last edited by ol' boy; 04-03-19 at 10:53 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordonwh40 View Post
    Recommend you go for an induction cooktop. Response is amazing and control is very fine. Only problem is the need for magnetic base appliances for the induction to work. I have had two, different brands, and both are still working well. One is about 8 years old and the other is about 3 years old.
    I recommend a cooktop that does both. I don't have one but the mother in torture does and it's excellent.

My experience in buying by brand is that it's a crapshoot. More money means nothing in many cases.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Based on personal experience I would not buy a Bosch washing machine. This issues I had with it where not related to where it was built but a serious design flaw. The detergent actually corroded the spider away that holds the drum.
    I would steer clear from a Chef stove too. Not only those pathetic simmer stats back then but also the failing heating elements.

Pot limitations with induction stoves can be a problem, although old cast iron Woks and stew pots should still work. One that does both, great if cost does not matter...
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (04-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Mrs wants a new Kitchen as well. has settled on a design ( well hasn't changed it in a fortnight now so I take it has settled) and we are also looking at appliances.
    They aren't the problem though. She wants a manufactured stone benchtop. So far quoted have all come back in the $9k region. I don't mind spending the money on the kitchen and the re tiling the acre of floor and doing new lighting but I have HUGE problem with 9 effing grand for just the tops of the benches which is different to the cabinets themselves.

Laminate will be a fraction of the price and the new laminates as I have shwed her look just as good if not better. 5 years and stone tops will probably be out of fashion anyway. We have got the crap about lasting 20 years and.... BFD! I won't be here in 20 years and if the benchtop is I won't care.

Have to say I'm sick of the whole damn thing already and can tell it's only going to piss me off a whole lot more before it's done and then at the end I'll bet my arse she'll not be happy with something after we have dropped a min $35K on the exercise.
    Dunno what the options are other than laminate for the benchtop, she does not want wood but no way in hell i'm paying $9k+ just for the tops of the benches. If thats the price they are, fine, we'll look for something else or she can stay with the kitchen she has which is in good nick just she doe not like the colour mainly and now has it in her head she wants something new.

A couple of friends have warned mo off induction benchtops for a variety of reasons. I am told like all induction type things they use more power for the heat they provide as well.
    We are going for a gas stove with electric oven which is supposed to be the best.
    Another ripoff seems to be exhaust fans for over the stove. Because she wants a feature design that is made from cabinets the fan will be totally hidden. Seems just the guts of the things costs more than a polished stailess hood. When you look at the things they are a frame with a blower behind some filters which you can buy as replacements for $30 ea. I can buy industrial fans For $100 so where the $500 and up to over $1000 comes in, stuffed if I know.

I don't mind paying for quality but I get pissed when i'm getting bent over paying for nothing special with price gouging markups on it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (04-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    They aren't the problem though. She wants a manufactured stone benchtop. So far quoted have all come back in the $9k region. I don't mind spending the money on the kitchen and the re tiling the acre of floor and doing new lighting but I have HUGE problem with 9 effing grand for just the tops of the benches which is different to the cabinets themselves.

Some of the jobs i do, the stone tops are $22k just for the kitchen, then more for bathroom and laundry
    I know it is off topic, but i know for a fact cabinet makers really loaded the stone masons price, so try direct with a stone mason
    My cabinet maker doubles it for customers.

Back on topic

My current stove (35 years old) is Westinghouse
    My fridge is Westinghouse
    My rangehood was a "Robinhood", it lasted 32 years

My washing machines have been F&P top loader, been happy enough that when the first one died, i bought another.
    Its been going 10 years+

I have to add, that all the new appliances i install now, weigh nothing, all feel cheap and flimsy.

And i personally HATE induction cook tops
    Power hungry pricks of things!!!

Second scratch or dent places???
    Have a read on Product Review
    Package deals?

Not sure if you can trust this, but it seems to match my own findings over the years
    Last edited by ol' boy; 04-03-19 at 11:53 AM.

VroomVroom (04-03-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Theres always the easy way become a hedonist then theres no problem

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I would heartily recommend an induction cooktop!!! The aforementioned qualifiers regarding cookware included. We had to sell our Cordon Bleau cookware but I won't willingly go back.

I can also recommend as a good site to source your goods. We purchased out Electrolux cooktop from them. The model I ordered was damaged when they went to ship, so they offered a free upgrade. The upgrade was only listed at several hundred dollars more. I am very happy.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

after my experience with a top of the line bosch dishwasher i would not recommend them 2 days after the warranty expired they did not want to know about it 2 expensive service calls they still could not fix it wanted to take it into the workshop but would give no indication on the hourly charges i sent it to the tip and bought a Lg had no problems with it must be close to 3yrs old now

• The Following User Says Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (05-03-19)

Thanks

Ok ive been to the local appliance repairer - he has Bosch in his own house , at a good price point , and the dishwasher is the only item he has had to work on , replacing the water inlet solenoid. As like many brands they are all fine for the first few years then issues arise , which keeps him in business . Cockroach infestations are the prime cause for dishwasher replacements so its worth spraying around it regularly with a sticky surface spray.
    He wouldnt use Ariston as its exclusive to Hardly Normal and he wouldnt piss on them due to poor service and high parts costs. Smeg parts prices are ridiculous

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (05-03-19),tristen (05-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I would have thought Bosch are a good middle ground choice

It would seem by this customer review page that the dishwashers are the weak point, as well the service department

I doubt others are much better though
    EDIT: i just read all other reviews, looks like a bunch of whingers
    Last edited by ol' boy; 05-03-19 at 08:19 AM.

VroomVroom (05-03-19)

Thanks

yeah looks like Bosch are the go. plenty of spares available on ebay for them too

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (05-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Its time to replace our kitchen along with all of the appliances , so i am seeking recommendations of which brands to buy and which to avoid. Looking at buying a whole package really , but will buy individual components if need be.

reliability , parts availability / cost , easy repair and longish term life (10 y + ) are the main things i'm looking for , not high performance

appliances required will be -

the brands available in town from the limited number of retailers are -

Electrolux
    Chef
    Westinghouse
    Bosch
    Omega
    Smeg
    Ariston
    Fisher and Paykel
    ASKO
    AEG

Most brands are 1 year warranty except for Bosch which is 2 years and Ariston 5 years.

Ive bought some of these in the past with mixed results. EG - my first Chef stove , bought in 1988 lasted for over 20 years no issues but the one that replaced it needed simmerstats and wiring loom replaced under warranty in the first 12 months. so replaced that with F&P which is still going well. Done some online research and Ariston is poorly ranked despite 5 yr warranty.

any ideas / experiences ? good or bad ?
    Firstly, parts availability on appliances will always be limited in this age of application specific microcontrollers and soft-touch control.
    Spare parts is no longer a competitive industry. One can only purchase from the manufacturer, and once the supply dries up (or no one is buying them): NLA is the answer.

Microwave
    Just a Panasonic without doubt; the yardstick by which all others are measured. Not cheap, but the best on the market (unless they are a Midea OEM "made in China"). Everything else is crap and would have a lifespan of maximum three to five years.

Fridge , normal single door , separate freezer , approx 400L.
    Pick your price point in this market segment; ascetics are the main difference. All electronically controlled with R-600a HC refrigerant: flammable, low charge and runs in vacuum on suction.
    Lokrings, bundy tube, and inverter driven compressors. Life span: seven years if you're lucky.

underbench oven , 600mm , either pryolitic or one i have to clean normally
    cooktop , electric , standard 4 element black glass ceramic surface
    dishwasher , standard 14 place underbench
    rangehood , will probably go with a slide out led light model.
    No appliance today is economically repairable after five years, unless the end user is over 65 years old (this one will see me out!). It's the main reason I got out of domestic stuff and into commercial HAVC. Sick of the grief.

Bear in mind the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) will always take precedence over any manufacturer's express warranty; no matter what they say to the contrary.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (12-03-19),ol' boy (05-03-19),tristen (05-03-19),VroomVroom (06-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Going through the shed yesterday I came across our old sharp Microwave that we got as a wedding present 27 years ago. Last year it died and we were told was irreparable.
    I thought I'd strip it down for the megenetron and the timer. Upon opening it up, the first thing I see is a fuse holder... with a blown fuse.
    Was a weird type marked high voltage but I put another glass fuse I had in the the parts box and the thing fired right up. The Mrs tested it last night and says it works perfectly.
    So much for unrepairable!

Now Mrs wants to put it back in the kitchen and replace the replacement because the old sharp is about double the internal size and will work like a normal oven as well which they don't do now so we were told when we bought the new one. Although the new one is the highest power available, the old sharp still has a bit more grunt. I like the old Nixie display in the thing too.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

enf (07-03-19),lsemmens (07-03-19),VroomVroom (08-03-19)

• 07-04-21, 01:09 PM