Thread: Beware ATO Data Matching Fail

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Default Beware ATO Data Matching Fail

Just want to write to give a heads up to all taxpayers on here, this has just happened to me but if it has happened to one then I'm sure its happened/happening to thousands.

I received a letter today from the ATO saying that I owe them approx. $820 from my 2016-2017 Tax Assessment as I had claimed my wife's half of the Private Health Rebate, before I explain, I will outline the circumstances;

I work full time, my wife doesn't work, and never has. I pay for private health cover both Hospital and Extras for us both but don't claim the rebate up front but rather claim at tax time, and for years have claimed for both her share and mine.

I contacted the ATO Call Centre where I spoke to a woman there, outlined what was in the letter (of course she had a copy on her screen anyway) and explained that they are incorrect, that I am entitled to claim my wife's share of the rebate as she doesn't work. This is where it gets interesting, she disagreed, told me the mistake was I should have put "Tax Claim Code E" and not "Tax Claim Code D", I explained that "Code E" means my wife is claiming my share of the rebate (which of course she isn't) and that I would in fact have to pay back another $820 on top of what they are already claiming I owe if I was to amend my return, we disagreed for several minutes, I asked several times for the issue to be escalated until she finally agreed to speak with somebody, so on hold I go for several more minutes.

When she finally gets back to me, she admits I haven't done anything wrong, that I am correct, "Code D" is the correct code for claiming my wife's share of the rebate, and that my Return for 2016-2017 was correct and that the case will be closed and a letter written to say as such.

Now the excuse given for me receiving the letter, bearing in mind that this just comes from a call centre worker, is that there is an issue with the Data Matching system where it doesn't recognise the fact that my wife doesn't work!!!

So I ask how many thousands of people would be in a situation where their Spouse doesn't work but they do, they pay Private Health cover and claim the rebate for themselves and their spouse? How many have received a letter like mine?

I don't want this thread to be a debate about the pros and cons of a rebate or Private Health Cover or Call centres for that matter, I am interested if this has happened to anybody else in similar circumstances or if others have similar/same circumstances and have received nothing.

As I said, if they have tried it on with one, how many more thousands are falling foul of the same issue.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

admin (20-03-19),eaglem (09-03-19),enf (08-03-19),irritant (09-03-19),Keith (09-03-19),LeroyPatrol (08-03-19),OSIRUS (20-03-19),Tiny (08-03-19),VroomVroom (11-03-19)

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

There is no way to know Al. And I hope it is the end of the matter.

But don't be surprised if there is a duplicate letter on the way soon. Large gov't departments quite often have two arms doing this shit. ATO data matching has been going on for eons, going back to before I was last in government employ (not ATO), and that was 2001. It's what happens when computers are the be all and end all of decision making.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (08-03-19),eaglem (09-03-19),irritant (08-03-19),Tiny (08-03-19),tristen (08-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    It's what happens when computers are the be all and end all of decision making.
    Also when there are too many people employed to do the job one person could have done, and then they don't communicate with one another.
    Last edited by irritant; 08-03-19 at 06:04 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mohs View Post
    Also when there are too many people employed to do the job one person could have done, and then they don't communicate with one another.
    Not so much here now DM. Job shedding and outsourcing have removed many humans from the payroll, and replaced them with workstations occupied by the odd human. Thus the computer controlled false saving means less training for the human and therefore less decision making.

Too much outcry about personnel by a largely ignorant public led to too many job losses and the use of technology to take up the slack...

It is what it is.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (09-03-19),irritant (09-03-19),tristen (08-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Sounds a bit like the centrelink debt recovery with computers sending out the letters to people who are innocent. Is the gov getting desperate for funds?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (08-03-19),irritant (15-03-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes Leroy, and no. Well, not this government specifically but the ATO itself which rolls through whatever government is screwing us over. Seen desperate for funds? Wait till the next fools take over.

This has been going on for 20 years or so, maybe more. The reason it has come to our attention is Al has been flagged by a mindless computer.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (08-03-19),eaglem (09-03-19),irritant (15-03-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

That's how the govt makes up their "shortfall" send this sort of crap out to thousands and wait for the money to start rolling in, because nobody knows that the govt have stuffed up......again
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (08-03-19),irritant (15-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    That's how the govt makes up their "shortfall" send this sort of crap out to thousands and wait for the money to start rolling in, because nobody knows that the govt have stuffed up......again
    Yep, hence the reason for me posting it here, although the reason given by the ATO would appear to be BS as I would think thousands if not tens of thousands out of some 13.5 million taxpayers would be flagged for exactly the same reason.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

irritant (15-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Oh crap, I shouldn't have read this

Cheers
    Ted (Al)

irritant (15-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post

Isn't it technically illegal to say Mr so-and-so, head of this-and-that sent you a letter, when in fact it was a machine?

Probably some clause that clears them with this, but it is still intriguing legally speaking.

Thanks

So basically the court has said that at ny time the ATO can effectively change their mind about what you do or don't owe, despite them giving you written advice prior.

There was mention in the article that as there was no "mental" decision involved then the letter was deemed to be incorrect. Does this mean then that any letter automatically generated by the ATO systems may now be safely ignored by us punters. A precedent has now been set, so in my mind any automated correspondence from ATO should be considered void until it is proven to be correct.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to madtech For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (09-03-19),alpha0ne (09-03-19),hinekadon (09-03-19),irritant (09-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madtech View Post
    So basically the court has said that at ny time the ATO can effectively change their mind about what you do or don't owe, despite them giving you written advice prior.

There was mention in the article that as there was no "mental" decision involved then the letter was deemed to be incorrect. Does this mean then that any letter automatically generated by the ATO systems may now be safely ignored by us punters. A precedent has now been set, so in my mind any automated correspondence from ATO should be considered void until it is proven to be correct.
    Yeah, we need DB44 for this one, the way I'm reading it Gov departments can't be held accountable for computer generated errors and if that is the case I think we are all f#cked. I don't know how they can make such a decision, I agree with Justice Kerr who said in his dissenting judgement "the majority's decision "would turn on its head fundamental principles of administrative law" and cause "confusion" for Australian taxpayers."

Amen to that but does us no good....
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (09-03-19),irritant (09-03-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Confusion is their bread and butter....

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

irritant (09-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Oh F#ck!!!
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 19-03-19 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Stuffed the image up
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

enf (19-03-19)

Thanks

Oh F#ck!!!
    cant read it

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (19-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Appeal

Talk to your local liar (politician)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Appeal

Talk to your local liar (politician)
    No Need for appeal the way i read it they have admitted that they were
    wrong and he was right in the first instance when he did his return

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (21-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Only just read this thread. I won't comment until I read the full Federal Court decision. I've just opened a nice coldie so as alluring as the prospect may be of reading a tax case, I'll pass for the moment. But I will get to it. Any day now.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    No Need for appeal the way i read it they have admitted that they were
    wrong and he was right in the first instance when he did his return
    Yes, correct, but the exclamation was for what I received compared to the bloke in enf’s link, no signature in the signature block, in other words after the High Courts majority decision, not worth the paper it’s printed on, just another computer generated piece of useless rubbish.
    I actually certainly hope not, I think the letter I received was pretty clear, and even apologising for the “inconvenience”, but I had to argue like hell before they would even start to listen, it shouldn’t be like that, but nevertheless it is.
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 21-03-19 at 04:53 AM.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes, correct, but the exclamation was for what I received compared to the bloke in enf’s link, no signature in the signature block, in other words after the High Courts majority decision, not worth the paper it’s printed on, just another computer generated piece of useless rubbish.
    I actually certainly hope not, I think the letter I received was pretty clear, and even apologising for the “inconvenience”, but I had to argue like hell before they would even start to listen, it shouldn’t be like that, but nevertheless it is.
    I'm stunned that you even GOT to speak to anyone.....last time I tried I nearly died waiting.