Thread: Recycling ?

Thanks

Default Recycling ?

Hi all,

I have spent the last few days trying to discover which councils actually recycle and NOT just straight to landfill.

Gosford (NSW) council will not disclose if they do or don't - unanswered emails etc.

Does anyone here actually know how to discover the truth ?

Local papers are of no use.

TIA

Luv and kisses to all

Last edited by Ma_Baker; 10-03-19 at 08:40 AM.
    Buy cheap and pay often, - there is no substitute for stupidity.

You wipe your bum after each crap, why don't you clean your teeth after every meal?

There is no shame in being uneducated nor in being stupid.
    The true shame lies in knowing that you are and doing nothing about it.

Only the living worry about dying.

To the tobacco addicts - Smoke more and die sooner, so I can breathe fresh air. Thank you.

Education is the only sure cure for religion

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ma_Baker For This Useful Post:

eaglem (10-03-19)

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default Does anyone here actually know how to discover the truth ?

yep sure fire way is to go to their offices and ask to be shown the facility , then excuses and red faces !!!!!!lol

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (10-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Yup, all contacted then sub contracted.... Just like Powercor and Tree trimming, try and get as far removed as you can then just say our contractors to it (throw arms up in air)
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_Baker View Post
    Hi all,

I have spent the last few days trying to discover which councils actually recycle and NOT just straight to landfill.

Gosford (NSW) council will not disclose if they do or don't - unanswered emails etc.

Does anyone here actually know how to discover the truth ?
    According to their website:
    Central Coast Council was one of the first councils to introduce kerbside recycling. All of the Central Coast’s kerbside recycling is delivered to a materials recovery facility located at Somerby. The resulting commodities are sorted and transported to a range of markets both nationally and internationally for recycling into beneficial products.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

When it comes to recycling we have certainly gone extremely backwards.
    Many years ago there was a shop at the tip where you could buy goods that the tip considered sellable for a song.
    There was also a separate building material recycling place in an industrial area where I would find hardwood that could stand up to the integrity of steel beams and also a metal recycling facility where you could buy and also SELL!
    I once got $120 for a bunch of old lead acid batteries I collected.
    All three were valuable sources for my many projects and all three are long gone over 10 years ago.

Our 'wonderful' council also abolished kerb side collections, the last resort to grab something that might still be useable, with the B.S. excuse that 'scavengers' made it unsightly. That might have been sporadically in the lower end of town and not because of scavengers but they way ppl dumped it, but in the more prestigious areas where you could find all the goodies it all remained relatively tidy particularly because a lot was removed.
    Today you have to bring it to the tip yourself or pay each time $40 to have it collected by appointment and of course straight to landfill.

...and they certainly made no secret of it, patting themselves on the back about the great decision they made, all over the council friendly local rag.

In a world that is controlled by consumer idiots there is no room for recycle/re-use.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-03-19 at 10:48 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (11-03-19),hinekadon (11-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    According to their website:

I live on the only road to Woy Woy tip, is there a reason why all the recycling trucks drive into the tip before heading off to Somersby ?

I wonder.

Luv and Kisses as always.

PS. I believe "Kerbside recycling" is just the stuff that is left on the side of the road and commonly called "hard waste" TVs and furniture etc. It is NOT the waste that is put into the yellow bins.
    Last edited by Ma_Baker; 10-03-19 at 11:08 AM.

You wipe your bum after each crap, why don't you clean your teeth after every meal?

To the tobacco addicts - Smoke more and die sooner, so I can breathe fresh air. Thank you.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_Baker View Post
    I live on the only road to Woy Woy tip, is there a reason why all the recycling trucks drive into the tip before heading off to Somersby ?

I wonder.
    To pick up the recyclables one would suspect
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    To pick up the recyclables one would suspect
    If that was the case, they would have to leave via Unicorn Rd on the way to Rainbow recyclers, both of which ban entry to heavy goods vehicles.

Luv and Kisses as always.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I have connections in the waste industry. had one over today for lunch and we were talking about this.
    There are VERY few Councils recycling anything now in Sydney. Too much material stockipled up now and no one is buying it so it's becoming a hazzard and liability.
    Local council tried to fine me a few years back for putting non recyclables in the yellow bin. Rang and said I'd be taking it to court and calling brother in law whom was a manager for the company that got the contract and was involved in the negations to testify on my behalf.

Couple of days later got a letter saying they were dropping it this time but If I put non recyclables in the yellow bin again I would be fined.
    Yeah right.

It's been a big crock for years to appease the greenwashed but they don't want to spend the extra money to have the material sorted and made fit for recycling. Since the market has dropped for recycled material the waste companies don't want to know about it.

I have seen products like Fence posts that are made from Recycled plastic. Chip the stuff, heat it and put it through an extruder. Not a lot of refinement needed and contamination of one type of plastic with another is not a big problem. Also saw some Decking material made the same way and that costs a fortune. Surprising there is so much Raw material available which I assume would be worth little more than the cost of transport.

In a number of asian countries particularly, things like tyres and plastic are pyrolised and turned into oil, steel and carbon black. The process can be self sufficient.
    In other parts of the world the municipal waste is burned to power turbines to make power and the waste heat is used to warm buildings. I was told a while back that was looked at here but the green cult threw a hissy fit wanting all material recycled and had a sook about the typical C02 emissions so the idea was dropped. So much better idea to get nothing out of it at all and have it sitting in land fill where is gives off co2 and methane anyway.

There are a few places that capture the C02 and burn it in turbines to make power but for the most part it's all buried and wasted.

Always laugh when I go past a tip and see the sign that says " Resource Recovery Park" .

Yeah right.
    I get it, it's too expensive and probably uses more energy than it's worth but can't we just be honest and admit that while standing up to the whining snowflakes?
    Sorry, doesn't work. You don't like it then YOU do something productive and find a soloution and a viable use/ market.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (11-03-19),VroomVroom (11-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Local council tried to fine me a few years back for putting non recyclables in the yellow bin
    what a bunch of asswipes. They use RFID chips on the bins and cameras in the chute to see what goes down it. But - They have no proof that it was you that mixed the waste , it could have been a neighbour using your bin in the dark of night. you cannot lock the bins so how are you supposed to stop that.

similar thing happened to my neighbour , was blamed for contaminating a whole load. he went back through 3 weeks of he security footage to see that the driver had picked up the wrong bin !!.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (11-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Speaking of locks on bins

They did that around here to prevent cockatoos lifting the lids and spreading rubbish everywhere
    The old codgers at the local mens shed got $25K of our money to design a locking system that would unlock when the bin was upside down.

It was rolled out, caused much frustration to home owners, but the best part was the failing of the auto opening when upside down
    The truck driver had to unlock each bin with key before it was lifted....

You can imagine how long that lasted

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (11-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I can provide some confirmation to George's post. At Christmas time I was speaking with someone who was involved in that industry at a high level for many years. He also indicated it was a scandal and hardly anything was actually being recycled. Also, the market for recycled material has crashed, with countries that were taking it in the past no longer doing so. He also told of inspecting such a facility where they tried to misdirect him. After some probing questions they admitted no recycling was actually taking place. My guess is that most of this is ending up in landfill.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (11-03-19),VroomVroom (13-03-19)

Thanks

Default Update

Hi all,

Just a quick update on this topic.

I have just watched how Gosford Council handles hard waste, small cupboard, wardrobe, table and two chairs. (11 Mar 2019)

A garbage truck that opens from the back with a huge hydraulic ram inside.

Two blokes jump out of the truck and start throwing the furniture into the truck and then crushing it with the ram one item at a time.

Before you ask, ALL the items are still perfectly functional, possibly need a new coat of paint.

When they finished crushing everything they drove up the road straight to the tip.

Woy Woy tip NOT Somersby recycling plant.

Luv and Kisses to all

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ma_Baker For This Useful Post:

gulliver (12-03-19)