Thread: Congratulations on self moderation

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Congratulations on self moderation

The way Austech is moderated has changed vastly over the last decade.

Previously a team of moderators was required to basically "follow the action" non stop dealing with a range of issues. This was taxing, its not much fun adjudicating fights all day and moderator burn out was a problem. Although we are not as busy as then (primarily due to the major decline of the Satellite tv industry....but we have gained a lot in recent times in Communications), Austech, primarily through long term established members, now operates on mainly self moderation.

Spam is almost instantly reported by members and dealt with promptly. Longer term members, knowing how the site runs, will occasionally give us a "heads up" on a thread that's about to have a problem. Most post reports are valid, ie, someone is breaking the rules. We do get post reports that we don't take action on for a number of reasons, sometimes the report is basically because someone doesn't like what someone said, or our opinion is that someone is not breaking rules.

Regardless, a lot of threads particularly in General Chat, are on difficult current affair topics of which there are always people who support either side of a debate. Despite this, the amount we have to moderate is realistically quite small for the amount of content. Although we are not as hard in our rules as Whirlpool forums for example, the amount of moderation they have to do is astounding. As an example, would be out of control. Looking at the current 2 pages, it shows me that in general there is some good conversation and discussion.

So basically, I am saying well done and thank you for the general good standard of behavior. Of course some will say "what about this, what about that" - there will always be arguments as long as 2 people have a different opinion and its how people go about presenting that argument that matters. I will never censor General Chat simply because growing leftist social policy demands it and firmly believe that the words of l, who wrote the phrase "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

DB44 (21-03-19),gulliver (24-03-19),hinekadon (22-03-19),LeroyPatrol (23-03-19),lsemmens (22-03-19),mtv (22-03-19),ol' boy (21-03-19),shred (21-03-19),Tiny (22-03-19),tristen (21-03-19),WhiteOx (22-03-19)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I'm glad to see you've finally found a back pain solution admin
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I'm glad to see you've finally found a back pain solution admin
    Austech ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (22-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Austech ?
    Yeah, i was just reminiscing back to the days when coming off your back pain medication at about the same time as a heated Austech thread always made for some spectacular administrative work
    Was meant in humour
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-03-19 at 05:00 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Yeah, i was just reminiscing back to the days when coming off your back pain medication at about the same time as a heated Austech thread always made for some spectacular administrative work
    Was meant in humour
    Made me laugh!

I agree, one of the reasons I hang around here is the civilised discussion on many topics. Of course, some comments, could be classed as offensive to me, but, that does not make them offensive in their own right. I'm pleased to see that we can discuss a topic like intelligent people and agree to disagree without descending into the name calling and backbiting of other, less civilised, people.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...