Thread: windows 10 recovery disk or usb disk or system image

Thanks

Default windows 10 recovery disk or usb disk or system image

Hi Guys

Scenario: if system is unable to boot, windows corrupted ,crashed completely.

1. Could you please clarify the difference between the Usb recovery disk and system repair disk created by the windows 10.
    And if I have my system image created already the do I really need these two disks as I mentioned above or system image created by windows is enough to reboot and recover your image. What is the difference between recovery disk and system repair disk?

2. If I create system image using third party software, then do you have to create repair disk or recovery disk via the same software as well, or the system image from third party software is enough to reboot and recover your full system as it is.
    3.Does system image itself is safe or you must have the recovery disk as well, please clarify.
    I heard that some version of windows have problems in restoring the image if created by windows 10, my version is 1809.
    At the moment I have got system image created by windows 10 and usb recovery disk.
    Also I have got system image and recovery usb disk created by Macrim 7 software as well.
    Both windows 10 created image and macrim image on the same external HD.
    So please advise what will be the correct method to keep everything safe and can I add other images to external HD on which I already had the image saved. Can I keep other data on the drive as well the images, will that interfere in case I need to restore image from this external HD.

Please advise on this as I am confused with all these options.
    I had bad experience recently where my windows were corrupted , I tried to use recovery manager options that came with my hp laptop , it couldn’t work and it deletes everything on my pc so I have to do fresh install windows 10 recently as my system crashed and I had no recovery disk available and the recovery partition in the system didn't work either and then have to install all the other software again, luckily I had my personal data backed up already.
    So I don’t want to go through that bad experience again and looking for a safe method to restore the whole image if this thing happens again and I won’t be able to boot and recover the system.

thanks.

TK

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

A recovery disk usually means a complete image of the operating system so it restores it to an "as installed" state. A repair disk usually only contains some system settings that may fix the system.

If your computer manufacturer gives you the option to make a system recovery set, do so!

Windows will break at some stage, and you will need the recovery option. Which brings me to the main point of all this. BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP. make sure you have a reliable backup of any critical data in the event of a system failure.

When I was using Windwoes I have/had an external drive with images of every piece of software that I had installed, along with activation keys/codes, usernames/passwords, email settings and the like. AND a separate drive with all of my data (i.e. documents, spreadsheets et al) stored on it.

I now use Linux and still need a settings/password file along with data backup, but that is it. FWIW updates all happen in the background without a "hurry up and wait". 99% of the software is also Free. OF course, I'm going to cop flack from other members here for that.

Oh! and Welcome to Austech, too.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

DB44 (26-03-19)

Thanks

I have had the same problem since I started using win 10, every time there is a power failure, updates or something windows wont reboot.

Windows 7 would most times run scandisk and fix itself but windows 10 seem to ignore all attempts to resolve errors and requires reloading.

I now use Macrium Reflect Free Version to "IMAGE" C:\drive so I can restore the operating system and apps within 15 minutes tops.

I have a 1gb partition on the drive and install windows 10 and all programs (apps) to that c:\ partition

I have all my data, documents pics etc on d:\ My Documents, I also have my Outlook Store Folder set to D:\ so my emails, passwords, bookmarks are stored there.

Using Macrium Reflect I can restore my image on c:\ without needing to restore all my data at the same time.

I can also image My Data separately is case of complete drive failure

Complete C:\ Image is around 40Gb so I usually keep a couple of Images as well

Just remember u are only as good as youre last backup

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by h8fg4 View Post
    I have had the same problem since I started using win 10, every time there is a power failure, updates or something windows wont reboot.

Windows 7 would most times run scandisk and fix itself but windows 10 seem to ignore all attempts to resolve errors and requires reloading.

I now use Macrium Reflect Free Version to "IMAGE" C:\drive so I can restore the operating system and apps within 15 minutes tops.

I have a 1gb partition on the drive and install windows 10 and all programs (apps) to that c:\ partition

I have all my data, documents pics etc on d:\ My Documents, I also have my Outlook Store Folder set to D:\ so my emails, passwords, bookmarks are stored there.

Using Macrium Reflect I can restore my image on c:\ without needing to restore all my data at the same time.

I can also image My Data separately is case of complete drive failure

Complete C:\ Image is around 40Gb so I usually keep a couple of Images as well

Just remember u are only as good as youre last backup
    even i have now mastered the art of recovery, that macrium is good stuff, as said, make a image of your os to recover & keep all else on different drive.
    mine also has the macrium option on boot up, i can choose windows or restore.

now, if the newbie isnt pulling my salami
    heres a repair disk for 7, also 8 & 10 separate,

but, if you are pulling our sausage, just remember, we have a certain set of skills here, we can track your ip through the firewall & into the node directly
    then you will be whipped with leather jackets, so be warned
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

Thanks for the making me understand the difference between recovery disk and the repair disk. Thanks for everyones input to my questions.

I don't keep any documents/spreadsheets, photos and videos on my pc, I only keep them on my external SSD so they are always backed up.

I have kept the activation keys , email folder, internet fav on the external SSD which I back up regularly. So when I lost my system the only hassle was for me
    to install all these software's again and to install the windows 10 as well , as I didn't have the recovery disk and system image and the recovery manager option for HP didn't work so my laptop was unusable at that time.

So now with the system is up and running and all software are installed , I have created the recovery usb disk and the system image using this macrim reflect as you guys have mentioned this software , now the question is in case my windows doesn't boot and I have to bring the image back. what will be the steps to follow.

Scenario 1. system doesn't boot as windows is corrupted.

1- Boot the pc with the usb recovery disk created by macrim.
    2. and then goes into the macrim menu to restore image and that will delete the corrupted image
    and replace it with the image saved on Exrernal HD, is that correct , please advise.

2nd Scenario

system can still boot as normal but the windows is corrupted and not working as the way it should work.

then what will be the steps:

- Just run Macrim software
    - Go to the restore option and select the image store on your external HD and follows the prompts to restore image
    and it will delete the corrupted image and replace it with the image stored.

Please advise if it this is correct.

thanks

Tauqeer

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    A recovery disk usually means a complete image of the operating system so it restores it to an "as installed" state. A repair disk usually only contains some system settings that may fix the system.

If your computer manufacturer gives you the option to make a system recovery set, do so!

Windows will break at some stage, and you will need the recovery option. Which brings me to the main point of all this. BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP. make sure you have a reliable backup of any critical data in the event of a system failure.

When I was using Windwoes I have/had an external drive with images of every piece of software that I had installed, along with activation keys/codes, usernames/passwords, email settings and the like. AND a separate drive with all of my data (i.e. documents, spreadsheets et al) stored on it.

I now use Linux and still need a settings/password file along with data backup, but that is it. FWIW updates all happen in the background without a "hurry up and wait". 99% of the software is also Free. OF course, I'm going to cop flack from other members here for that.

Oh! and Welcome to Austech, too.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I'll leave you in the capable hands of those who play with Windows.

Thanks

thats pretty well it my fury little friend

and, if you go to macrium, other tasks (see pic) create rescue media

click on the boot menu option, build
    then, you wont even need a usb rescue
    just pick it from the boot menu page, mecrium \ windows

Last edited by Philquad; 26-03-19 at 12:56 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

irritant (26-03-19)

Thanks

Hi Philquad

Thats what i did when i created the usb rescue disk , and created the backup image on the External HDD, so now I have got 02 things, one usb recovery stick and the HDD with the image file, so what i gather here
    is you want to create that rescue disk on the same external HDD where the image is, so I can only need that to boot the pc, is that what you are referring to, sorry if it didnt get you on this.
    Please advise.

thanks

Tauqeer

Thanks

you got me
    id say.if the image is on a external drive, thats ok
    but you can make a shortcut to it using the above method

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Tauqeer (26-03-19)

Thanks

Default created Macrim reflect rescue and image on the same external SSD Drive

Hi PhilQuad

I did partition my external SSD with some allocated space for creating rescue disk, formatted that partition as FAT32 , rest of the bigger portion
    is NTFS and the image is stored on that, so the fat32 has the resuce boot disk and the NTFS has the image stored, I verified the image as well.

Now I booted the system with the usb option , its booted and take me to the Marcim menu to to restore.

So now I don't have to keep separate usb disk and separate image, it can be booted and restore from same external drive.

thanks for your help.

Thanks

good work
    it doesnt matter how as long as you get there
    restoring to me is more about if windows screws up, i suppose if it were hard drive failure, you could install windows & macrium, then restore the image

LSemmens
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    restoring to me is more about when windows screws up,
    fixed that for you.....

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irritant (29-03-19)