Thread: It will always be Austar to me

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default It will always be Austar to me

I cancelled my service today after a very long time! 10-12yrs and in the end it was just the convenience of being able to share my card to the receivers around the house. But Mr Foxtel has decided he didn't want to help me when I was having problems with my old 4.1 card and was trying to force an IQ4 on me. I did have an installer arrive last Friday but he didn't want to install it in the lounge and said it had to go where the active point was originally installed. I said no, cya later. I tried calling up Foxtel support again but they aren't technical and button push and if something doesn't work a new box is their answer. At the end of the day the only reason Foxtel still exists is because of sport. All the other channels had a lot of repeats and ads like fta.

Anyway I only watch MotoGP, World Superbikes and F1. What have people used to stream these services and from where?

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

cmoore (26-03-19),efab (26-03-19),hazman (26-03-19),irritant (25-03-19),OSIRUS (31-03-19)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Ditto. I think Foxtel have about 2million customers which ain’t a big % compared with the US that has 70% on cable and sat.

Foxtel is sooooo expensive, partially this is caused by the greed of the various movie studios and distributors, so Fox have to try and make a profit. If they cut the price by 2/3 and then generate 3 times as many customers.

Galaxy in the old days, for those old enough to remember died because of piracy and the main fact they had to pay for each receiver as they had not leased them like current providers. So they needed to wait 5 years before they could start to make a profit.

I am the same Sports is the main thing that I watch. Kayo has now become a possible alternative for me since NBN has come my way.

Streaming will kill them off.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cmoore For This Useful Post:

DB44 (26-03-19),hazman (26-03-19),irritant (26-03-19),LeroyPatrol (26-03-19),OSIRUS (31-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Anyway I only watch MotoGP, World Superbikes and F1. What have people used to stream these services and from where?

Leroy
    Kayosports. I use AppleTV4, Foxtel Now & Mi android TV box, but will run in a browser or a heap of other devices. It is just Fox Sports package (without Eurosport). Costs $25/mth no contract, and you can get a free 14 day trial.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

irritant (26-03-19),LeroyPatrol (26-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    Kayosports. I use AppleTV4, Foxtel Now & Mi android TV box, but will run in a browser or a heap of other devices. It is just Fox Sports package (without Eurosport). Costs $25/mth no contract, and you can get a free 14 day trial.
    Is this $25 to just stream foxsports? How do you get it to a TV and is it HD?

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

irritant (26-03-19)

Thanks

I don’t get Foxtel at all. I understand free to air TV: I pay nothing and in return, I have to endure advertisements. That’s the deal. Fine.

I pay my $9.99 a month to Netflix and I get more movies and TV series than I can possibly watch. I can see them any time I like, watch them when I’m away from home in a hotel room, watch in bed on an iPad and so on. There are absolutely no ads. Fair enough: I pay, so there should be no advertising.

Foxtel want me to pay $60 per month (more for decent content) AND they want to shove advertising down my neck. Who on earth would think that’s a fair deal! My name is Billy Stunt, not Silly C...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

irritant (26-03-19),LeroyPatrol (26-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Kayo is brilliant. Kayo Kodi plugin is even more brilliant. I can combine all of Foxtel's sports channels (except Eurosport) with my FTA channels in one place. I pay $25 per month. All content is full HD 1080p. Channel changing is very quick, quicker than most IPTV channels. My 50/20 NBN connection handles it fine. My dad has a 25/10 connection which also handles it fine.

Only let down is the whole AFL rights thing. I have to go to the on-demand list of events and pick the live game rather than watch it on Fox Footy. I also get Seven/7mate feeds with ads instead of the Fox Footy feed without ads sometimes. But otherwise the services are identical to what you get on Foxtel Satellite.

Last edited by Smacca; 26-03-19 at 08:10 PM.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

hazman (27-03-19),irritant (26-03-19),LeroyPatrol (26-03-19),OSIRUS (31-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Is this $25 to just stream foxsports? How do you get it to a TV and is it HD?
    Yes $25 for up to 2 simultaneous devices (some like ATV4 can do split screens with up to 4 channels at the same time). You can install the app on Apple or Android and use a HDMI connection for those that support it, or stream via Air Play or ChromeCast. All channels are HD.

I gave up Foxtel Satellite in 2017 when Foxtel Now became available, and bought the Fox Now box and A couple of Fetch boxes. I suffered through Foxtel Now's SD broadcasts last year and the crap interface in the box, consoling myself with the savings ($39/mth + $13/mth for Fetch v $106/mth). Kayo has given me an extra $14/mth and all in HD. The interface is still a bit clunky (no EPG) but is miles ahead of Fox Now. I use the Now box in the bedroom to watch Kayo, but use an ATV4 in the lounge and a MXQ pro in the rumpus room running in Kodi.

I would say that the cheapest way into Kayo on your TV would be the Vodaphone TV box which is now $72 or an cheap Kodi box.
    Last edited by jgm; 27-03-19 at 01:06 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

irritant (27-03-19),LeroyPatrol (27-03-19),Smacca (27-03-19)

Thanks

Well I've been having a bit of a play. I tried the Kayo Sports trial. Wow it's very good. With my current internet speed I had to use SD mostly but at least I can watch content but if everything is good like it was yesterday morning I could watch it in HD and the pics are great!
    So I decided to buy a Xiaomi MI BOX S Android 8.1 Smart 4K Mi TV Box HDR Google Cast. It's supposed to arrive Wed or Thurs. I might get one of those Vodaphone boxes as well as they are cheap. I'll prob need to do the TV's in both rooms!
    While I was at it I tried Netflix and that streamed quite well with little to no buffering.

Thanks for the heads up fellas.

Leroy

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Smacca (01-04-19)

Thanks

Check out the Whirlpool group on Kayo in Kodi. Kayo seems to run a bit better within Kodi than running their own interface.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (01-04-19)