Thread: Telstra Cable Speed bumped to 100mbps

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Default Telstra Cable Speed bumped to 100mbps

When I signed up it was 25. Shortly upped to 50. Now to 100. Delighted to receive this in my email:

We want to ensure you're getting the best possible speeds available at your place. That's why we're giving you Standard Speed on your Internet Plan. Standard Speed is now up to 100mbps at no extra cost.
    Well done Telstra! Of course, I couldn't resist visiting speedtest.net. 98.52 download and 4.86 upload. Through a VPN!
    Would be happy to stick with cable. Not looking forward to lower speeds or higher costs on the NBN.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (10-04-19),OSIRUS (13-04-19)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

I WISH!!!! 22.5 up.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Just checked latest NBN availability. Build has commenced availability is projected from June. I'll be hurrying to do that! My speed will halve for the same cost.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

mmmmhh Has technology changed to allow this increase in speed or was it all just smoke and mirrors in the beginning???
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I cant complain at my NBN speed

44.1 down

15.7 up

sure beats the good old days of 2400 bps dial up!!!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

DB44 (12-04-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Whoops, I meant 22.5 down! 7.5up
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

DB44 (12-04-19)

Thanks

It is an interesting gesture from Telstra. I'm imagining as more and more shift to NBN there is plenty of excess capacity on the cable. And they want me to stick with them as my provider when I do make the switch to NBN. Certainly I am feeling very favourably disposed towards them at the moment.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

No DB44, they are hoping you will stick with them for another 18 months after NBN becomes available so they can make more profit and continue to shaft you than if they supply you with NBN
    But the logic is if you go NBN you will pay more for less. the question you have to ask yourself is why are they only doing it now?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    No DB44, they are hoping you will stick with them for another 18 months after NBN becomes available so they can make more profit and continue to shaft you than if they supply you with NBN
    But the logic is if you go NBN you will pay more for less. the question you have to ask yourself is why are they only doing it now?
    Thanks for the post but I don't think I'm following you. I've been on a competitive plan since I joined them. Yes, I would much rather they had upgraded me to 100mbps immediately I joined them at no cost. But even had they been shafting me in the past, I'm getting a great deal now. I hope I can stay with Telstra Cable at 100mbps download for 18 months after NBN is available. Because for that time I will be getting 100mbps download for a price which would get me only 50mbps on the NBN. And quite possibly less if I'm one of the unlucky 1/3rd with sub-par speeds. I would likely get better upload speeds on NBN but I don't care about that.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

allover (13-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    Because for that time I will be getting 100mbps download for a price which would get me only 50mbps on the NBN. And quite possibly less if I'm one of the unlucky 1/3rd with sub-par speeds. I would likely get better upload speeds on NBN but I don't care about that.
    You briefly pointed to this, but It’s often forgotten by others. While you may be getting 100Mbps download speed with Telstra cable, you are only getting up to 5Mbps upload.

If for the same price you can get 50Mbps down and 20Mbps up on NBN, I would consider that equivalent value. Especially with the increasing usage of ‘cloud’ storage, backups, etc.

Still waiting for the NBN here, and while I currently get 100Mbps down (with Optus), I would gladly halve my download speed to get 20Mbps upload.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    You briefly pointed to this, but It’s often forgotten by others. While you may be getting 100Mbps download speed with Telstra cable, you are only getting up to 5Mbps upload.

If for the same price you can get 50Mbps down and 20Mbps up on NBN, I would consider that equivalent value. Especially with the increasing usage of ‘cloud’ storage, backups, etc.

Still waiting for the NBN here, and while I currently get 100Mbps down (with Optus), I would gladly halve my download speed to get 20Mbps upload.
    I certainly see where you are coming from and don't disagree. It's a matter of how we use our connections. Upload speed is not that important to me given my particular usage. But it is certainly important to my nephew who likes to stream his gameplay on Twitch or Youtube. It would be nice to have a choice. Or even better. Given the amount of money taxpayer's have spent on the NBN we should be getting both!