Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Telstra Cable Speed bumped to 100mbps

  1. #1
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    1,430
    Thanks
    1,642
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 670 Posts
    Rep Power
    649
    Reputation
    24948

    Default Telstra Cable Speed bumped to 100mbps

    When I signed up it was 25. Shortly upped to 50. Now to 100. Delighted to receive this in my email:

    We want to ensure you're getting the best possible speeds available at your place. That's why we're giving you Standard Speed on your Internet Plan. Standard Speed is now up to 100mbps at no extra cost.
    Well done Telstra! Of course, I couldn't resist visiting speedtest.net. 98.52 download and 4.86 upload. Through a VPN!
    Would be happy to stick with cable. Not looking forward to lower speeds or higher costs on the NBN.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

    hinekadon (10-04-19),OSIRUS (13-04-19)



Look Here ->
  • #2
    LSemmens
    lsemmens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rural South OZ
    Posts
    8,261
    Thanks
    7,594
    Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,377 Posts
    Rep Power
    2121
    Reputation
    87580

    Default

    I WISH!!!! 22.5 up.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

  • #3
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    1,430
    Thanks
    1,642
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 670 Posts
    Rep Power
    649
    Reputation
    24948

    Default

    Just checked latest NBN availability. Build has commenced availability is projected from June. I'll be hurrying to do that! My speed will halve for the same cost.

  • #4
    Premium Lager

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,648
    Thanks
    1,488
    Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Rep Power
    1004
    Reputation
    35335

    Default

    mmmmhh Has technology changed to allow this increase in speed or was it all just smoke and mirrors in the beginning???
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

  • #5
    Premium Lager

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,648
    Thanks
    1,488
    Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Rep Power
    1004
    Reputation
    35335

    Default

    I cant complain at my NBN speed

    44.1 down

    15.7 up

    sure beats the good old days of 2400 bps dial up!!!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

  • The Following User Says Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

    DB44 (12-04-19)

  • #6
    LSemmens
    lsemmens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rural South OZ
    Posts
    8,261
    Thanks
    7,594
    Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,377 Posts
    Rep Power
    2121
    Reputation
    87580

    Default

    Whoops, I meant 22.5 down! 7.5up
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

  • The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

    DB44 (12-04-19)

  • #7
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    1,430
    Thanks
    1,642
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 670 Posts
    Rep Power
    649
    Reputation
    24948

    Default

    It is an interesting gesture from Telstra. I'm imagining as more and more shift to NBN there is plenty of excess capacity on the cable. And they want me to stick with them as my provider when I do make the switch to NBN. Certainly I am feeling very favourably disposed towards them at the moment.

  • #8
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,144
    Thanks
    1,625
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 848 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Reputation
    24748

    Default

    No DB44, they are hoping you will stick with them for another 18 months after NBN becomes available so they can make more profit and continue to shaft you than if they supply you with NBN
    But the logic is if you go NBN you will pay more for less. the question you have to ask yourself is why are they only doing it now?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

  • #9
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    1,430
    Thanks
    1,642
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 670 Posts
    Rep Power
    649
    Reputation
    24948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    No DB44, they are hoping you will stick with them for another 18 months after NBN becomes available so they can make more profit and continue to shaft you than if they supply you with NBN
    But the logic is if you go NBN you will pay more for less. the question you have to ask yourself is why are they only doing it now?
    Thanks for the post but I don't think I'm following you. I've been on a competitive plan since I joined them. Yes, I would much rather they had upgraded me to 100mbps immediately I joined them at no cost. But even had they been shafting me in the past, I'm getting a great deal now. I hope I can stay with Telstra Cable at 100mbps download for 18 months after NBN is available. Because for that time I will be getting 100mbps download for a price which would get me only 50mbps on the NBN. And quite possibly less if I'm one of the unlucky 1/3rd with sub-par speeds. I would likely get better upload speeds on NBN but I don't care about that.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

    allover (13-04-19)

  • #10
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,399
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 803 Times in 429 Posts
    Rep Power
    448
    Reputation
    14456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    Because for that time I will be getting 100mbps download for a price which would get me only 50mbps on the NBN. And quite possibly less if I'm one of the unlucky 1/3rd with sub-par speeds. I would likely get better upload speeds on NBN but I don't care about that.
    You briefly pointed to this, but It’s often forgotten by others. While you may be getting 100Mbps download speed with Telstra cable, you are only getting up to 5Mbps upload.

    If for the same price you can get 50Mbps down and 20Mbps up on NBN, I would consider that equivalent value. Especially with the increasing usage of ‘cloud’ storage, backups, etc.

    Still waiting for the NBN here, and while I currently get 100Mbps down (with Optus), I would gladly halve my download speed to get 20Mbps upload.

  • #11
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    1,430
    Thanks
    1,642
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 670 Posts
    Rep Power
    649
    Reputation
    24948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    You briefly pointed to this, but It’s often forgotten by others. While you may be getting 100Mbps download speed with Telstra cable, you are only getting up to 5Mbps upload.

    If for the same price you can get 50Mbps down and 20Mbps up on NBN, I would consider that equivalent value. Especially with the increasing usage of ‘cloud’ storage, backups, etc.

    Still waiting for the NBN here, and while I currently get 100Mbps down (with Optus), I would gladly halve my download speed to get 20Mbps upload.
    I certainly see where you are coming from and don't disagree. It's a matter of how we use our connections. Upload speed is not that important to me given my particular usage. But it is certainly important to my nephew who likes to stream his gameplay on Twitch or Youtube. It would be nice to have a choice. Or even better. Given the amount of money taxpayer's have spent on the NBN we should be getting both!

  • Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •