Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Election 18th May

Thanks

Did anyone else see the ABC News on Wednesday night? One of Shorten's "battler" blue collar workers at the Gladstone Ports was having a winge about Labor's tax increases for those on more than $250k a year.

The worker told Mr Shorten some of the group earned $250,000 a year because they worked at night.

In a part of the conversation picked up by television microphones, Mr Shorten replied: "We’re going to look at that."
    Geez, I know doing night shift is tough, but what planet are these people on? This sort of greed makes Australian businesses who are forced to rely on the shipping industry unable to compete with overseas producers and manufacturers. No wonder the only things Australia seems to produce these days are rocks dug out of the ground and coffee!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (28-04-19)

Thanks

I heard something on the radio the other day, apparently Bill Shorten has promised to restore penalty rates within 100 days if elected. The issue I have with this statement is that penalty rates etc are set bu Fair Work, which is an independent body, independent of the government, at least in theory.
    This means one of 2 things
    a/ Bill has no idea of how this things work - if he is that ignorant after being a labor leader then he is too dumb to be elected
    or
    b/ Bill is lying through his teeth in an attempt to con votes. If this is the case he is a dead set liar & not worth electing.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madtech For This Useful Post:

eaglem (29-04-19),lsemmens (27-04-19)

Thanks

Penalty rates should be set by state Govts - not by Fairwork. Fairwork is supposed to independent of the Govt but in reality it's a proxy Govt department.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

eaglem (29-04-19),enf (25-04-19),hinekadon (25-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    Penalty rates should be set by state Govts - not by Fairwork. Fairwork is supposed to independent of the Govt but in reality it's a proxy Govt department.
    We live in a 24/7 World, like it or not.
    There should be no mandated penalty rates.
    Overtime is another matter.
    People who choose to accept work at non Monday / Friday / 9 to 5 times do it because it suits there lifestyle.
    If the Business needs to attract employees, they will offer above award wages and incentives.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (27-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    People who choose to accept work at non Monday / Friday / 9 to 5 times do it because it suits there lifestyle.
    If the Business needs to attract employees, they will offer above award wages and incentives.
    Happily, most people don't agree with you.

Because we don't live in a 24/7 world. There's no such thing. Many people who work weekends do so because their employer requires them to. It's not a lifestyle choice.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (26-04-19),alpha0ne (26-04-19),Keith (26-04-19),Uncle Fester (28-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,916 Posts

?.... Many people who work weekends do so because their employer requires them to. It's not a lifestyle choice.
    Totally agree PZ, and in a lot of cases if those people (mostly young, but not always) don’t agree to work the weekends then they don’t get the job or are soon out of one, so they have to sacrifice their weekends for others leisure and enjoyment, they should be compensated accordingly. Just my view.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

exited (26-04-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Totally agree PZ, and in a lot of cases if those people (mostly young, but not always) don’t agree to work the weekends then they don’t get the job or are soon out of one, so they have to sacrifice their weekends for others leisure and enjoyment, they should be compensated accordingly. Just my view.
    I worked shift work for 35 years and had standard penalty rates for most of that time.

Having said that, I disagree Al. No one forces you to work a particular job. You DON'T sacrifice your weekends for others either. You work for money, that's all. I loved it because I could work without annoying suits around to give you their uninformed directions.

When workchoices came along I didn't hesitate for a second in trading away penalty rates for a fixed loading. It was a no brainer and I ended up way better off. BUT, I had the ability to negotiate these things. Not all do.

And lets not forget the substandard penalty deals negotiated by the next PM and his union for cash. For him to take the holier than though route on this issue is just hypocrisy personified. The only attitude that our current crop of leaders and prospects seem to excel at.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (29-04-19),lsemmens (27-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    We live in a 24/7 world because of penalty rates. People like to catch that train to their social events on weekends or to the relo's place for Christmas Day? They can due to penalty rates. I hate working weekends and public holidays but do it due to the penalty rates. Vast majority of non 9 to 5 workers do it due to penalty rates. It's quite comical you mention no penalty rates but in the same breath say "If the Business needs to attract employees, they will offer above award wages and incentives." Aren't penalty rates an incentive? You also mention overtime is another matter. I gather from what you have said that you are a 9 to 5 worker who does the occasional overtime. So I don't agree with what you have said.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (26-04-19),exited (29-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I worked shift work for 35 years and had standard penalty rates for most of that time.

Having said that, I disagree Al. No one forces you to work a particular job. You DON'T sacrifice your weekends for others either. You work for money, that's all. I loved it because I could work without annoying suits around to give you their uninformed directions.

When workchoices came along I didn't hesitate for a second in trading away penalty rates for a fixed loading. It was a no brainer and I ended up way better off. BUT, I had the ability to negotiate these things. Not all do.

And lets not forget the substandard penalty deals negotiated by the next PM and his union for cash. For him to take the holier than though route on this issue is just hypocrisy personified. An only attitude that our current crop of leaders and prospects seem to excel at.
    As I said enf, that’s my view, and like you and others of our age, most could pick and choose what jobs (and the conditions) we elected to do, this day and age, and more so the younger generation, they don’t have much or even any choice of jobs, to remove their penalty rates for weekend work so that those who employ them have a higher profit margin is no more than taking advantage of those in a weaker position, I realise this is not the case in all situations, and again, just my view.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

enf (26-04-19),exited (29-04-19),Keith (26-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madtech View Post
    The issue I have with this statement is that penalty rates etc are set bu Fair Work, which is an independent body, independent of the government, at least in theory.

brahahahahahahahaha, I believe in honest governance too

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

eaglem (29-04-19),enf (26-04-19),hinekadon (26-04-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I have worked shift work and non shift work over the years. Yes, Penalty rates did make it attractive, however, in my last job on shift work, I was on salary so there was no advantage to working nights or weekends. For that fact, the kids working under me were earning twice as much on Public hols than I did. I loved shift work and would happily have continued in that job had their management style not conflicted with my own. The salary was not that attractive so I ended up returning to the 9-5 workforce for better wages AND conditions. I still like shift work, and, if I were to return to the workforce, I'd happily work shifts.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

enf (27-04-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

I love working at night because that was when I am most creative and because I did creative work and was my own boss (before I had wife and kids)
    this worked out perfect for me.

But what we did in the past and the situation today has 0.zilch in common.

Today former full time salary jobs have been converted to casual and I suspect a lot of the 'created' 1 million jobs the LNP keeps bloating on about comes from this conversion.
    Of course Turnbull/ScoMo have nothing to do with this, it is the freedom of businesses to decide this.
    So in today's world you have to work whenever the fvck the boss tells you or they won't ask you again, ever!

So in my case if I were asked to start working at 6:00am I would get fired for incompetence because I can't even figure out how make my own bed at that time.
    I am just braindead.
    Historically I have failed almost every exam at 8:00am.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-04-19 at 11:26 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    I love working at night because that was when I am most creative and because I did creative work and was my own boss (before I had wife and kids)
    this worked out perfect for me.

But what we did in the past and the situation today has 0.zilch in common.

Today former full time salary jobs have been converted to casual and I suspect a lot of the 'created' 1 million jobs the LNP keeps bloating on about comes from this conversion.
    Of course Turnbull/ScoMo have nothing to do with this, it is the freedom of businesses to decide this.
    So in today's world you have to work whenever the fvck the boss tells you or they won't ask you again, ever!

So in my case if I were asked to start working at 6:00am I would get fired for incompetence because I can't even figure out how make my own bed at that time.
    I am just braindead.
    Historically I have failed almost every exam at 8:00am.
    Oh FFS nomeat. Labor only whine at election time. Once elected they do nothing to help anyone but themselves. Neither side has a clue how to approach a modernising and increasingly automated industrial economy.

I sure don't. But the one thing I AM certain of is that THEY don't either. Just roll on and blame the coalition for every evil if it floats your boat, but nothing will change.

This is a punish the coalition for their actions election, nothing more. If the ALP don't sh!t it in (and I think they will) they all need shooting. We'll just have to all live with the left wing economic lunacy.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Oh FFS nomeat. Labor only whine at election time. Once elected they do nothing to help anyone but themselves. Neither side has a clue how to approach a modernising and increasingly automated industrial economy.

I sure don't. But the one thing I AM certain of is that THEY don't either. Just roll on and blame the coalition for every evil if it floats your boat, but nothing will change.

This is a punish the coalition for their actions election, nothing more. If the ALP don't sh!t it in (and I think they will) they all need shooting. We'll just have to all live with the left wing economic lunacy.

FFS Enf, you didn't understood a word of what I wrote or are you so obsessed to twist things to suit your anti-everything-nomeat-writes opinions?

Where did I mention anywhere the Labor party?
    I didn't blame the LNP for anything but their gloating, which is what ALL pollies excel at.
    I also CLEARLY stated that Turmbull/ScoMo have nothing to do with the new Casual workforce age but the industry/businesses created that.

This was a response to above comments, including yours, that people have a choice of work or when they want to work like it was in the past but
    these days they clearly do NOT.

I did not mention a word about penalty rates, if I agree or disagree to them.
    Technically I think penalty rates are not the answer. People should have a choice to find work that suits their needs and to their best abilities.

But if it makes you happy I will NOW blame the LNP for something:
    I blame the Coalition for stuffing up the NBN and being puppets for the rich.
    Has anybody calculated what reducing the 49% tax bracket to 30% is going to cost us?
    If Shorten had a BRAIN he would calculate that for 10 years and throw that figure at the people.

FYI I am not voting Labor but an independent who vowed he will not make deals with anybody.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

One more thing.
    The reserve bank is pretty sour about the low wage growth, low inflation situation that is spiralling our economy down.
    Rather than USA style QE that printed money and gave it to the banks and investment houses, a bank, I think it was Citi Bank suggested giving it to the people to give them buying power to feed it into the economy directly. They recon this could be backed by bonds that do no need to be re-payed.
    This is not a Labor policy but it reminds me of Rudd's helicopter money that you all hated but it did help keep us out of recession at the GFC so I assume Labor would back it and LNP would not.
    The situation, according the the reserve bank seems more difficult today as we have no margin to lower interest rates much further.

Opinions?

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (29-04-19)

Thanks

Polling has narrowed to ALP 51 / 49 Coalition.

One Nation 4%, Greens 9%, Clive Palmer 5%.

FFS, Clive Palmer at 5% after all his BS ? LOL.

Thanks

Clives vote shows just how on the nose the major parties are...... no I am not a Clive supporter, in my opinion all politicians are low life, lying, self serving scum

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madtech For This Useful Post:

enf (29-04-19),hinekadon (29-04-19),Jma (29-04-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Massive amounts of money PZ. He's polling strongly in the seats of the workers he cheated apparently. Go figure.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

exited (29-04-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

This election is going to be way closer than it should be. Not because the Libs are doing fantastically well but, seriously, does the Labor party have one brain cell? Who, in their right mind would want Bill Shorten as PM? Sadly, elections are not won by the leaders, but by the local members. If your local pollie is doing a good job, then you are more likely going to re-elect him than trying another pollie. If, of course, your local member is one of those that seems to disappear whenever there is work to be done, that WILL be reflected at the polls and the Leasership of the alternates might make a difference.

I was a Labor supporter in my youth. Now, they just positively scare me! Almost as much as Pauline Pantsdown, Clive Handjob, and the Greeds.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Rather than USA style QE that printed money and gave it to the banks and investment houses, a bank, I think it was Citi Bank suggested giving it to the people to give them buying power to feed it into the economy directly. They recon this could be backed by bonds that do no need to be re-payed.
    Nearly all the magic money the fed printed went to share buybacks/overstimulate the ponzie scheme that is the share market which WILL lead to a far worse crash than the last bank induced disaster

Re the silly idea as to giving the lower class's the money...............................ARE YOU INSANE !!!!!!!....................how will 'they' prop up the share market if all the magic money goes to the rabble................who would just squander it all on food/paying bills/healthcare/the mortgage/a new truck

• Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast