Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CelFi Go signal amplifier but slow download rate

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default CelFi Go signal amplifier but slow download rate

I work on a remote minesite in NW QLD. My donga is located on the absolute fringe of the camp and I used to get 1 bar out of 5 on 3G so I purchased one of the Telstra CelFi signal amplifiers and now get 5 bars/5 however surfing the internet via a mobile phone is moderate to slow still. Getting the laptop to connect to the phone is also slow and can take 10 minutes or more. I am wondering if someone can explain what is going on here? Strong signal to phone, difficult to get wifi or hotspot connection - phone is an old apple 6 iphone. Computer is a brand new windows 10, super fast gamers build device. The celfi pro has a long external stick antenna that feeds the signal amplifier indoors, then that signal is distributed by a smaller antenna. On 3G amplified connection I can hold the 5 bar signal strength for maybe 150m from the amplifier.

Is this something to do with the freqency of 3 G V 4G as we do have 4 G and it works fine with that, even without amplifier.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Break it all down into parts....

1. Antenna separation is critical with the Cell Fi

2. Do a heap of Data Speed tests using ookla app on your phone.
    Maybe try in different locations etc

See what you are getting before we move to laptop
    Last edited by ol' boy; 16-04-19 at 08:00 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Frog3tree (17-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Break it all down into parts....

1. Antenna separation is critical with the Cell Fi

2. Do a heap of Data Speed tests using Okoola in your phone.

See what you are getting before we move to laptop
    OK, thanks,will have a look at it tonight when I get back to camp.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

3G is mainly used for voice and 4G for data, although later 4G-capable devices also provide voice. I suspect your older fruit phone may not.

There are also several different frequency 'bands' used within 3G and 4G and it's important to know which frequency bands are in use at your location and what your phone is capable of connecting on.

Also, are you connecting directly to a Telstra tower, or to a cell within your camp site?

How are you connecting your computer to the internet..... via wi-fi tethering to your phone?

As you say you have 4G available and it works fine.... based on what you have said so far, I would think connecting via 4G would be the solution, which may likely involve updating your phone.

I would strongly recommend getting one which includes ability to use the 4GX 700MHz band, which many remote areas are using these days.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Frog3tree (17-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks guys, based on your questions, I can clarify and give you better info, especially as not understanding what info you need.

I looked up the Telstra coverage overlay for this remote area, and there is a 4G zone, however it is more over the minesite itself, but does not extend to the accom village which is 30klm from the mine. The village has 3G only, however some guys claim they get 1 bar on 4G at the village, but its clearly shown as 3 G and my Iphone 5 - thought it was a 6 but model confirms its a 5, only ever gets 3G.

We have a tower on site at the mine which I believe has a micro wave link to Cloncurry 250klm away. There is also a tower at the village however Telstra will not upgrade the infrastructure as the population of 250 people does not warrant it, hence why we are sitting on 3G at the village.

Regards Download/Upload speeds, Phone only

At Minsite

Dn 4.82mbps, Up 0.40mbps - first reading
    Dn 8.2mbps, Up 0.81 second reading

Village

Dn 0.22mbps, Up 0.02mbps - phone only Celfi off, phone showing 1 bar

Dm 0.85mbps, Up 0.28mbps Celfi on, phone showing 5 bars

I connect the phone to the computer with a cable, switch everything on the phone, bluetooth, wifi mobile hotspot, unsure which method it is connecting by however suspect its wifi as the computer is detecting other computers and handsets in the immediate area of my donga - neighbours.

The sim card purchased was for the Next G service.

So, I hope that provides som more clues, look forward to your analysis and suggestions. Internal antenna is separated from external antenna by the full length of the internal antenna cable, so approx 3m. I have swapped out the small magnetic celfi antenna for a 1m long stick antenna, does not seem to affect performance, was hoping to pick up 4G like the other guys in camp, but only getting 3G

I have swapped the selector switch from 3G to Auto with no positive effect on the Celfi . I tried the 4GX band and nothing changed either .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    3G is mainly used for voice and 4G for data, although later 4G-capable devices also provide voice. I suspect your older fruit phone may not.

I would strongly recommend getting one which includes ability to use the 4GX 700MHz band, which many remote areas are using these days.
    Even though the iPhone 6 was released in 2014 it has full LTE support, including VoLTE. The AU version also covers band 28 (700MHz).

The OP mentions a ‘full’ 4G signal without the Cel-Fi. It may be the case the Cel-Fi is set up incorrectly and only rebroadcasting 3G and not 4G, causing issues - is it definitely the Telstra model? Is your iPhone set up correctly for both ‘Voice and Data’ in the 4G settings - if not it could be dropping voice calls on 4G?

If the 4G is working fine is there even a need for the Cel-Fi? If you get good 4G coverage there should be no need to have strong 3G coverage to get both voice and data.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

Frog3tree (17-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

The Iphone only ever receives in 3G - thats what is on the screen. i am at the mine now and the guy nest to me has his phone receiving on 4G. The instructions on the Celfi say it should be left on 3G for call quality and I only can receive a 3G signal on the phone. I am guessing if 4G was capable of being received the Celfi is going to amplify that signal, but even if it did I am not seeing 4G on my phone screen, as stated I have swapped around the settings on the Celfi unit. Yes, this is the genuine Telstra product with all the telstra optimised antennas etc. Phone is an iphone 5 also, so unsure if it can operate on 4G or not? 4G signals are achievable at the village however low strength, 1 bar out of 5, similar to what I an getting on 3G without the amplifier effect. I had a look on the phone in 'settings' however cannot see if there are any receiver preferences to allow it to be toggled to 4 G or not.

So in summary, poor 3G, poor 4g at the village, Celfi ampflication on 3G to 5 bars, slow upload and download speeds, phone appears to only receive on 3G. Maybe time to upgrade?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frog3tree View Post

I connect the phone to the computer with a cable, switch everything on the phone, bluetooth, wifi mobile hotspot, unsure which method it is connecting by however suspect its wifi as the computer is detecting other computers and handsets in the immediate area of my donga - neighbours.
    This!
    Select 1 method for connection to laptop and ONLY one.

USB: Best
    Wif:i Second Best
    BT: worst

Just connect using only 1 method
    Looks like you have sub 1Mb/s available at camp, you obviously can't improve what is not there.

If you want to get serious, start by getting a better directional antenna system

or

BTW, there is nothing wrong with 3G, i've used 3G mobile for my data and phone for the passed 6 years
    Speeds around 30Mb/s down...
    Just depends what is available from what tower

I have no interest in 4G
    Last edited by ol' boy; 17-04-19 at 08:47 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

This!
    Select 1 method for connection to laptop and ONLY one.

USB: Best
    Wif:i Second Best
    BT: worst

Just connect using only 1 method
    Looks like you have sub 1Mb/s available at camp, you obviously can't improve what is not there.

If you want to get serious, start by getting a better directional antenna system

BTW, there is nothing wrong with 3G, i've used 3G mobile for my data and phone for the passed 6 years
    Speeds at be 30Mb/s down...
    Just depends what is available from what tower

I have no interest in 4G

Thanks, maybe the phone is connecting to the laptop via the USB as it is connected for charging at the same time. The laptop indicates the alternate wifi connections avail, perhaps thats where i am confused.

What I am trying to understand is the relationship between the amplified signal from 1 bar to 5 bar and the slow download speeds - what exactly does the Celfi system do? I was expecting it to improve data transfer rates or is it a signal quality issue rather than quantity that I am getting? ir data V voice confusion at my end of understanding?

Premium Member
    Thanks

This is where all is not what it seems

You can have plenty of signal strength (Phone to Cell Fi) pumping out plenty of local strength, yup, connection is strong.... between those 2 bits of equipment
    But that is only 1 small part of the story.

Do a search of remote 3G/4G mobile coverage and antennas, it will all be explained there

I just read Cel Fi does not support MIMO, so there is that too..... You'll be stuck with a single antenna

Start here, a lot of questions are answered:
    Last edited by ol' boy; 17-04-19 at 08:52 AM.

Frog3tree (17-04-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You probably require a high-gain directional (yagi etc) antenna pointed at the 4G tower.

It's very difficult to give accurate advice without being there with signal measuring equipment.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Frog3tree (17-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks MTV, I have gone back to the CelFi dealer with your antennas suggested - funny all this was covered when I did the initial contact and have purchased mobile antennas also as the unit will be swapped out into the 4WD when I get done with the mines. Money wasnt a consideration, performance was the marker. Going to be a bit annoyed if i have a sub optimal system when the brief was clear ad performance orientated.

Premium Member
    Thanks

This is where all is not what it seems

You can have plenty of signal strength (Phone to Cell Fi) pumping out plenty of local strength, yup, connection is strong.... between those 2 bits of equipment
    But that is only 1 small part of the story.

Do a search of remote 3G/4G mobile coverage and antennas, it will all be explained there

I just read Cel Fi does not support MIMO, so there is that too..... You'll be stuck with a single antenna

Start here, a lot of questions are answered:
    Many thanks Oceanboy, I am waiting on a return call from the dealer to see what they can offer. the directional/Yagi is avail for about $170 so this might be an option, money not the focus, performance is. Sitting in a small box every night with crappy TV and crappy internet is a lonely existence!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default CelFi Go signal amplifier but slow download rate

Quote Originally Posted by Frog3tree View Post
    Phone is an iphone 5 also, so unsure if it can operate on 4G or not?

So in summary, poor 3G, poor 4g at the village, Celfi ampflication on 3G to 5 bars, slow upload and download speeds, phone appears to only receive on 3G. Maybe time to upgrade?
    iPhone 5 is not compatible with 4G as it does not include band 28. Essentially, it will only operate on 3G for voice and data. This is why you are only seeing ‘3G’ on your phone, despite being in a 4G area.

I would suggest the 3G data speeds there probably are not fantastic. Once this is repeated through the Cel-Fi unit it is degraded again. If then connecting to your computer the speed would again be reduced. This would explain your poor 3G speeds.

If you want to use 4G to its full potential it’s time for an upgrade.
    Last edited by peteramjet; 17-04-19 at 09:57 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

Frog3tree (17-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well you are getting a 4 times data speed improvement at camp
    What kind of improvement were you hoping for?

I think the unit is working as expected.

Frog3tree (17-04-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

you seem to think that if you amplify shit its not shit when it comes out which is bull shit , if you amplify a signal it is the same on the output just stronger to get a stronger signal you must collect more of it .MTV suggested a yagi type antenna good but that depends on the frequency its transmitted to you on, a parabolic is better at higher freqs but its harder to point and get going , 3g or 4g dont matter much if the signal is not there its not there period cheers don

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

Frog3tree (17-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well you are getting a 4 times data speed improvement at camp
    What kind of improvement were you hoping for?

I think the unit is working as expected.
    Referring to an earlier post, I would like to get something close to the download and upload speed achieved at the mine. ie DN 8.2 and UP 0.81

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    you seem to think that if you amplify shit its not shit when it comes out which is bull shit , if you amplify a signal it is the same on the output just stronger to get a stronger signal you must collect more of it .MTV suggested a yagi type antenna good but that depends on the frequency its transmitted to you on, a parabolic is better at higher freqs but its harder to point and get going , 3g or 4g dont matter much if the signal is not there its not there period cheers don
    Don, you have an interesting way with words and draw some equally interesting conclusions about what I am thinking. Thanks for your input. The question restated is to why I am not getting a fast download/upload rate if the signal strength is increased 5 fold - or are these totally unrelated?

Premium Member
    Thanks

As you say your phone will connect via the CelFi for 150meters
    I wonder how many other phones could be using your service

Or is your Mobile IMEI locked to the CelFi

As for expecting the same download and upload as it the mine site, there are some matters of physics you will need to overcome
    Last edited by ol' boy; 17-04-19 at 12:08 PM.

Frog3tree (17-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

As you say your phone will connect via the CelFi for 150meters
    I wonder how many other phones could be using your service

Or is your Mobile IMEI locked to the CelFi

As for expecting the same download and upload as it the mine site, there are some matters of physics you will need to overcome
    Thanks for that, i will have to log into my account to see if the IMEI is locked or not. I have opened a ticket with Celfi to try and get to the bottom of this as the information clearly states it will amplify weak signals and 'increase data speed dramatically"

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast