Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repco are now asking for your rego when purchasing parts

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diydad View Post

if this is the trend that cops monitor what you purchase, i say goodbye to repco.

big brother is watching closely
    Go back into Repco with the cops Rego then
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    "Australia's First" they say, bahahahaha Toyota been doing it for at least a year, probably a lot longer
    The Microcat software for Toyota Parts from Infomedia Ltd had rego and VIN lookup AT LEAST 15 YEARS AGO, probably longer (I just can't remember the date).

It used warranty data from Toyota's TELUS system to look up rego and customer details, as well as VIN decoding, but obviously that only applied to Toyota vehicles.

So this is certainly nothing new, but the topic of this thread is whether government agencies have access to point of sale data, not parts lookup. Why they would even bother is beyond me but in this age of AI scanning and collecting information about everything it certainly wouldn't surprise me?

Andrew

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (18-04-19),ol' boy (18-04-19),shred (18-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

After reading some of these, i have NO idea why you would even go to Repco, they is consistently the most $$$ in the game

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    I can tell you 100% that police are looking for all sorts of stuff, especially when walking upto a car at night, they look through the rear window to see how many heads on board, to see if those heads are reaching for things, hiding things. They stand behind the B pillar to avoid being shot. Just an every day thing that has to be considered.

And if they happen to see car parts on the back seat, good observation skills, no deep dark conspiracy that big brother is watching.
    100% right, last time i was pulled over was at night with the Mrs, he asked how i was going while his flashlight was quickly jumping around from behind the back seat of the ute to the center console to around the foot wells, obviously looking for a tell tale sign of something that was not supposed to be there.

Sort of came to my head why police are cracking down on dark window tint....its hard for them to see whats going on and in the car, from weapons to a bag of weed or a few tablets, maybe a glass pipe, even to talking on the phone while driving.

I have also noticed that police as our customers just naturally tend to be looking around and very observant, their eyes are always scanning the workshop looking for something thats not supposed to be there, those wearing guns always tend to have their hand nearby to it.

Unsure if its training or too long on the job paranoia.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    After reading some of these, i have NO idea why you would even go to Repco, they is consistently the most $$$ in the game

GPC Asia (they are actually Yanks) own Repco, RDA, R&E Autoparts, Ashdown Ingram, Motors Specs and last i heard bought a large chunk of Spares Box.

Similar story with Bursons, AAD, Autobarn, ABS, Auto Pro, all owned by the Babcor Corporation.

All have their own price structure, none carry the same prices.

You do realize that for example Bursons will by parts from AAD, basically keeping the money inside the same group.

The local Repco store does not sell RDA even through they are owned by the same group, however the store manager is always referring Brake customers to my door when they dont have stock knowing we represent their sister company.

They would rather that, than the customer to walk into Bursons, therefore GPC losing a sale to Babcor.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

ammlione (24-04-19),enf (19-04-19),hinekadon (19-04-19),ol' boy (19-04-19),VroomVroom (19-04-19)

Thanks

it's a good thing - they can get the actual right parts for your car - there are variations on parts within a build generation, their database gets you the right parts. Put down the pipe, lower the paranoia level, the monkey has this...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bitstuffer View Post
    it's a good thing - they can get the actual right parts for your car - there are variations on parts within a build generation, their database gets you the right parts.
    So does a VIN. That is all they can refer back to for the info. When I was chasing a part and offered them that, they wanted the rego.
    I'll remain paranoid because it has served me well for a long time and prevented me getting the same bit in the arse a lot of others have whom scoffed at my concerns for different things.

I don't believe any company only keeps info to be helpful to the customer these days, there is always an ultimate motive in targeting you for advertising and selling info they have on you to other organisations.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    So does a VIN. ......
    Agreed! A rego can, and does, get changed. The VIN always follows the car!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Only on Saturday I went to Repco for parts and the Lady over the Counter was serving so I asked her for a Clutch Pressure plate kit for a 2009 VE V6 Commodore sedan. She asked for the Rego, I said Its unregestered as I got the car cheap and fixing it up, She asked for the VIN, I gave her the VIN, She asked was it a Sedan or Station Wagon or ute, I said Sedan, Hummm I originally told her the car was a Sedan, Maybe she Forgot, then she asked me is the Car a Manual or Automatic,,,,, after this I asked her kindly to ask another person that worked there to help her as I told her you should not be working over the counter because I never heard such a stupid question.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

george65 (03-07-19),lsemmens (03-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Only on Saturday I went to Repco for parts and the Lady over the Counter was serving so I asked her for a Clutch Pressure plate kit for a 2009 VE V6 Commodore sedan. She asked for the Rego, I said Its unregestered as I got the car cheap and fixing it up, She asked for the VIN, I gave her the VIN, She asked was it a Sedan or Station Wagon or ute, I said Sedan, Hummm I originally told her the car was a Sedan, Maybe she Forgot, then she asked me is the Car a Manual or Automatic,,,,, after this I asked her kindly to ask another person that worked there to help her as I told her you should not be working over the counter because I never heard such a stupid question.
    I dont generally Use Repco for anything but oil specials (and all the workers at my local know that) But the other day I forgot to lookup the oil I needed Just so I could try there Rego theory . Mmm that didnt go well :-) I gave them the rego number and it came back as a 2007 Kia carnival 2.7 litre (not bad its actually a carnival) Just its 2008 3.8 litre and its a grand carnival. After I suggested it was incorrect she then argued with me that the system is never wrong .Mmmm I said Im a mechanic of 30 years I know my cars and then refused to look up the model I asked for. (not a problem for me) but how many customers get given the wrong parts because of this ,

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carjackma For This Useful Post:

ammlione (04-07-19),Mr 672A (10-07-19),Tiny (03-07-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carjackma View Post
    I dont generally Use Repco for anything but oil specials (and all the workers at my local know that) But the other day I forgot to lookup the oil I needed Just so I could try there Rego theory . Mmm that didnt go well :-) I gave them the rego number and it came back as a 2007 Kia carnival 2.7 litre (not bad its actually a carnival) Just its 2008 3.8 litre and its a grand carnival. After I suggested it was incorrect she then argued with me that the system is never wrong .Mmmm I said Im a mechanic of 30 years I know my cars and then refused to look up the model I asked for. (not a problem for me) but how many customers get given the wrong parts because of this ,
    I reckon less than when the customer use to give the details of the car. But the girl should not have argued when you highlighted the mistake. My missus works for Repco and I just asked her about what you have posted. She said there are glitches and mistakes with the system because it is a new system, BUT, the girl should have went with what you told her. Whilst they use the system for every sale for parts, it is very helpful for the limited english or no idea customer who getting the required info is like pulling teeth. Missus said she still uses the old ways when the customer knows what he/she is talking about. When I told her the girl who served you argued the point, she said that's against branch policy and she would receive an arse kicking if you spoke with the store manager or took it higher.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

• The Following User Says Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

carjackma (10-07-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carjackma View Post
    20 odd years ago whilst I was living in Sydney I needed a Clutch Cable for a HQ Monaro so I went to Nepean Spares at St Marys and a lady served me and she also asked me "IS IT A AUTO OR A MANUAL, Hummmmmmm Unbelievable.
    On Saturday Whilst I was watching a feed (Can say where but I expect others on this site was watching it) A Woman said, woman are becoming more involved in Motor sports, female now own teams racing teams, and are Mechanics, they are commentators, and wont be long where we will take over, yes something like that, I got a shock what I heard. Jesus "H" Christ What in the F..k is going on, We have Muslims trying to take over now we have Females trying to do the same thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    the girl who served you argued the point, she said that's against branch policy and she would receive an arse kicking if you spoke with the store manager or took it higher.
    If it was the other way around the Girl would have complained and the man will be sacked and charged by the Police with Sex Crimes. Most Men today do not Complain and walk away laughing but most Women today if they can they will sink you.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12