Thread: 2009 TK Barina won't fire thinking immobiliser

Thanks

Default 2009 TK Barina won't fire thinking immobiliser

So my boys Barina got a flat battery, and now even with fully charged battery it won't fire up. Cranks over perfectly, plenty of spark.

The immobilizer light flashes on the dash, key remote locks and unlocks doors

If I tip a bit of petrol down the intake it'll fire up on that but it's not injecting fuel. The fuel pump has been replaced (Mr RACQ man thought it was that and a new one was ordered before tests were done)

Got a Tech2 clone and no codes show

Has anyone got any ideas before I put it on a trailer and tow it 200km to a dealer?

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Its common for immobiliser units to disable the fuel injectors ( when the immobiliser is active ) so if the immobiliser light is still on that appears to be the problem. The immobiliser chip inside the key is separate to the module which controls the door locks and alarm.

maybe try removing all the ECU fuses and hope it resets itself. If you have the spare key available you can try that. Maybe a mobile locksmith can clone the faulty key , not sure

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes witch will cause all ECU's to reboot like hitting a reset button.

SS Dave

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (22-04-19)

Thanks

I tried disconnecting the battery overnight but didn't help. Also checked all the fuses (pulled fuse and checked continuity with multimeter)

Might see if the local mechanic can do something with his Snap-On tool tomorrow. But thinking being Holden it'll require their proprietary software.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Try this. it works with my sons Commodore.

Turn the ignition until the dash warning lights come on.
    With key still in the ignition, Press the unlock button and then start the car.

Thanks

Default Hi Barina Tk 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Farmworkerboy View Post
    So my boys Barina got a flat battery, and now even with fully charged battery it won't fire up. Cranks over perfectly, plenty of spark.

The immobilizer light flashes on the dash, key remote locks and unlocks doors

If I tip a bit of petrol down the intake it'll fire up on that but it's not injecting fuel. The fuel pump has been replaced (Mr RACQ man thought it was that and a new one was ordered before tests were done)

Got a Tech2 clone and no codes show

Has anyone got any ideas before I put it on a trailer and tow it 200km
    to a dealer?
    Would love to know how this resolved as I am having exactly the same problem

Thanks

So, after trying with the Tech2 and also the MDI with the GDS software I went to the wreckers and bought a "security set" which had ECU, keys, ignition barrel, locks, etc. And through some trial and error reprogramming the ECU, I learnt that the Tech2 programmed the new keys from the wreckers.

I reinstalled the original ECU, kept original ignition barrel and locks and reprogrammed the new transponder chip which I installed into the original key and everything was perfect.

Sorry for the long story, but all that was wrong was the key transponder chip had died. Knowing that now, it was a fairly easy fix, but at the time it had me stuffed and the local mechanic with his Snapon computer stuffed too. Hopefully it helps, if you have a second key try that.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Farmworkerboy For This Useful Post:

dashinson (29-08-20),hinekadon (30-08-20),mtv (29-08-20),puca (02-09-20),VroomVroom (31-08-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

I had a similar problem on my sons Honda S2000 a few years ago.

It had a battery and the car sat for a months this way getting resprayed at a panel shop, dropped a battery into it to start it months later when it was ready and they had the security key light on with no start, cranked but no fire.

After a few days and quite a bit of swearing I discovered that putting in a well charge battery and leaving they key in the ignition for a few hours in the accessory position then turning it off and then back on again did the trick, no more security light.

Almost like it had to learn the key was there.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I recently had a Subaru With an electrical problem that kept draining the battery.
    With a new battery the thing would crank but not start.

Eventually I discovered The thing had to be turned on. eft a few moments, Turned off again for a few moments that then it would start.

You could crank the thing all day but until it was turned off and left about 10 sec and then re tried, it would not fire. After that started as normal.