Thread: New DVD Disk won't play all episodes

Thanks

Exclamation New DVD Disk won't play all episodes

I just purchased the first season to Game of Thrones.

The 'play all' function does not play all episodes on all disks.

Initially I managed to watch all episodes by selecting them individually from the main menu but on another play through I cannot even access the disk main menu to select anything.

I have a Samsung Blu-ray player which is only 3-6 months old.
    Even though it can play all regions I always make sure I only buy Australian (local region 4) disks.

I have not had this issue with any other disks - I have always been able to select the main menu so that I can either choose an episode to play or select 'play all'. Even after a reset of the player it still retains the memory of where it was up to and won't allow me to access the main menu. It does not seem to do this with all of the disks in the set.

A couple of questions:
    1. Is the disk faulty or is the issue with my blue-ray player?
    2. How can I erase the memory on my player so that it starts at the beginning and not where it left off?

And for those of you who might suggest I go for live streaming or something similar - I do not like paying a monthly fee for a digital file that I will never own especially when the cost of digital downloads are as expensive as the physical disk. I much prefer to watch my movies and tv episodes from a physical disk on my tv. This also frees up my computer for other things while the disk is playing on my tv in the background. And, finally I don't always have or need internet access.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

are they real factory dvds or copies ?
    where did you buy them ?
    maybe you can rip & burn a copy yourself & see if its better.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

enf (28-04-19),tristen (25-04-19)

Thanks

I've had a similar problem where my blue ray player wont read some DVD's. I now have separate DVD and Blu ray rom in my PC, Rip everything to file and watch from there.

• The Following User Says Thank You to statesmanjeff For This Useful Post:

enf (28-04-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,858 Times in 9,044 Posts

It's my understanding that bluray lasers are different from DVD lasers and can result in these type of difficulties. I swapped my laptop bluray burner for a dvd burner, and bought an external USB bluray for that if I ever need it.

Haven't had a problem since.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

tristen (28-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Back in the days when I worked for a major manufacturer of AV & TV products, disc playability was a constant source of grief.
    We would always report every issue to the factory and they would continually roll out firmware updates. We would send the disc to the factory so they could apply a firmware fix.
    Sadly, some disc authoring does not adhere strictly to the standards, and equally manufacturers struggle to deal with deviations from the prescribed software standards.
    Report the issue to Samsung and make sure that your firmware is up to date (preferably by connecting to the internet).
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Whilst the responses are all useful info, keep in mind the OP hasn't visited the site since their 1 and only post.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (11-08-19),TVguy (11-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daani4 View Post
    I just purchased the first season to Game of Thrones.

The 'play all' function does not play all episodes on all disks.

Initially I managed to watch all episodes by selecting them individually from the main menu but on another play through I cannot even access the disk main menu to select anything.

I have a Samsung Blu-ray player which is only 3-6 months old.
    Even though it can play all regions I always make sure I only buy Australian (local region 4) disks.

I have not had this issue with any other disks - I have always been able to select the main menu so that I can either choose an episode to play or select 'play all'. Even after a reset of the player it still retains the memory of where it was up to and won't allow me to access the main menu. It does not seem to do this with all of the disks in the set.

A couple of questions:
    1. Is the disk faulty or is the issue with my blue-ray player?
    2. How can I erase the memory on my player so that it starts at the beginning and not where it left off?

And for those of you who might suggest I go for live streaming or something similar - I do not like paying a monthly fee for a digital file that I will never own especially when the cost of digital downloads are as expensive as the physical disk. I much prefer to watch my movies and tv episodes from a physical disk on my tv. This also frees up my computer for other things while the disk is playing on my tv in the background. And, finally I don't always have or need internet access.
    You have no issue with other disks, so it may be the disk faulty.
    To reset Samsung Blu-Ray player, a).Remove the disc if present from the Samsung Blu-ray player as reset will not work if there is any disc present in the player.
    b). A message saying "Not Available" will be displayed if there is no disc inside.

c). Power on your Blu-Ray player and set the TV input to the one where the player is connected. For example if the Blu-Ray player is connected to HDMI 1 slot, please select input as HDMI 1.

d). With no disc in the player, please press & hold the Play/Pause button on the front of the player for about 8 seconds or until "Resetting all settings to default values " message is displayed on the TV screen is displayed as the player power offs and resets.
    If you prefer physical disk and have a huge collection, you can use DVD ripping program like Handbrake (not able to handle some commercial DVDs), WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to copy them to digital files for easier access or for backup.

Thanks

I have had a similar issue with a DVD in my player and it was that for some reason my player couldn't play the second layer of that disc.

So I considered that to be an issue of player and disc not being compatible.