Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your home when you get older......

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Default Your home when you get older......

Hi, I’m asking for my wife and her brother.

Their father ( my father in law) is quiet sick and has been told that it is no longer safer or him to live alone and that a nursing home is paramount to a quality of life, even if it is expected to be short lived. He has been given only a few months.

My wife has been making enquirers into nursing homes.

Now, my question, his house, because he has a home the cost of the nursing home goes up. If he didn’t have a home then it would be about 85% of his pension.

He has been told all sorts of things from he has to sell his house to they take $250K as security till he passes.

My wife has the thought that to protect his house ( and yes their inheritance) that he could sign his home over to her and her brother.

I don’t think it is that easy.

Has anyone been in this predicament before?

Thanks for looking in.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

gifts - sale etc are calculated over a 5 yr period .

so even if its signed over to them now it will be 5 yrs till its
    not considered an asset.

The $250k deposit can be kissed good buy once its paid over because
    you will get jack back.

They are so evil when my wife's father passed they had the audacity to bill
    for another month because they are legally allowed to and say its to fill
    the bed but he passed in his sleep and that very same day a new person was
    in the bed. They kept sending the bills and even a debt collector who i gave the address
    that he was in at coffs, the next day he came back and said mate that's a cemetery
    yeah but he is there did he pay because my name aint XXXX and fked if i will

• The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (26-04-19),enf (26-04-19),hazman (28-04-19),LeroyPatrol (02-05-19),lsemmens (27-04-19),Mr 672A (27-04-19),OSIRUS (26-04-19),porkop (26-04-19),VroomVroom (29-04-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

they hate mortgages on property so if he has one they wont be keen on having a go at the assset

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

porkop (26-04-19)

Thanks

I’d love to hear an explanation of how this system is fair.

You work hard and pay taxes all your life. You save and do without so that you can own your house outright.. then when you go into a nursing home, the home says “we’re taking the money from the sale of your home and putting it in our bank without paying interest, but don’t worry: your family get the money back after you die”.

Meantime, the guy who has sponged off the taxpayer and been nothing but a parasite on society is in the next room, still getting a free ride, just as he has done his whole life.

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (26-04-19),hazman (28-04-19),hinekadon (26-04-19),Keith (26-04-19),LeroyPatrol (02-05-19),OSIRUS (26-04-19),porkop (26-04-19),VroomVroom (29-04-19)

Premium Lager

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post

Meantime, the guy who has sponged off the taxpayer and been nothing but a parasite on society is in the next room, still getting a free ride, just as he has done his whole life.
    Couldn’t agree more. Shits me to death!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

enf (26-04-19),hazman (28-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Unfortunately my mother is in a 'nursing' home (severe parkinsons) as my father is too old/ill to look after her

You REALLY need to check out every 'nursing' home you are considering, as thoroughly as you can, because they are not all equally bad.................but mostly bad from my experience

I would rather put a bullet in my brain than to be committed to one of these institutions

The nursing home racket is a great little earner to the very few overseas ppl who own most of these homes in AU, and very few spend more than $5.00 a day feeding the inmates

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    Couldn’t agree more. Shits me to death!
    I'm sorry for your situation porkop, I really am. My brother and I were lucky in that my mother was able to live at home until the end largely due to Legacy. We did start the nursing home route, but she just took a day to say "f*ck that!!!" (not the words she used, but the sentiment is accurate.)

My brother and my family were even thinking of starting a rotor system of taking turns living with her should it have become necessary. Even though she and my brother lived in Perth and we are on the other side of the country.

These people deserve better. They lived productive lives and fought wars so we can have the freedom to be weak and allow our society to self destruct (but that's a different story).

It's a crime that they are treated this way. Blow ins and bludgers get a better deal.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (27-04-19),hazman (28-04-19),OSIRUS (26-04-19),porkop (26-04-19),shred (26-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    My brother and my family were even thinking of starting a rotor system of taking turns living with her should it have become necessary. Even though she and my brother lived in Perth and we are on the other side of the country.

These people deserve better. They lived productive lives and fought wars so we can have the freedom to be weak and allow our society to self destruct (but that's a different story).

It's a crime that they are treated this way. Blow ins and bludgers get a better deal.
    With my father inlaw we looked around and found out how criminal it all is so made
    the decision we would look after him until we couldnt.

wer arranged help through ACAT and various other mobs but in the end we were living on
    a few hours sleep a day and he became to much to look after.But we did make sure
    that he had nothing when it was time for the nursing home and no matter what they tried we were
    legally beyond the 5 yr limit so they could not rape us.

In saying they could not rape us they still did but not as bad.

medication must be bought and administered through them and by them at a rate bill gates could not afford.
    you could not take in your personal fan you had to rent one from them at a cost of a new one per week
    you could not take in a tv you had to rent

you can see where i am going with the story

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

enf (26-04-19),hazman (28-04-19),LeroyPatrol (02-05-19),OSIRUS (26-04-19),porkop (26-04-19),shred (26-04-19),VroomVroom (29-04-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    With my father inlaw we looked around and found out how criminal it all is so made
    the decision we would look after him until we couldnt.

wer arranged help through ACAT and various other mobs but in the end we were living on
    a few hours sleep a day and he became to much to look after.But we did make sure
    that he had nothing when it was time for the nursing home and no matter what they tried we were
    legally beyond the 5 yr limit so they could not rape us.

In saying they could not rape us they still did but not as bad.

medication must be bought and administered through them and by them at a rate bill gates could not afford.
    you could not take in your personal fan you had to rent one from them at a cost of a new one per week
    you could not take in a tv you had to rent

you can see where i am going with the story
    I assume that there were complications other than physical here. If not, then I apologise to you fandtm666.

Both of my parents were totally cognizant until the end. War service by my father served them well in that regard, so I guess they got something.

It's still a f*cking disgrace what goes on.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I assume that there were complications other than physical here. If not, then I apologise to you fandtm666.

Both of my parents were totally cognizant until the end. War service by my father served them well in that regard, so I guess they got something.

It's still a f*cking disgrace what goes on.
    yes he suffered from dementia and all the associated issues that come with it.

would need constant looking after but at the end of the day we felt better in ourselves
    knowing we did all we could and yes the money side of it all did cross our minds
    because we thought it revolting how they treat people and prey like vultures on the needy.

The only thing i have come to realise is that there are 2 professions i loath

nursing homes and funeral homes they are disgusting vultures who pray on the vulnerable
    and do so with a smile.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 26-04-19 at 09:41 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (27-04-19),enf (26-04-19),OSIRUS (26-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Speak to an accountant about means testing.
    I do not know the law or rules, but a good accountant will know.

Personally, I'd completely resist it. There are plenty of personal monitoring tech items.
    There used to be a company back in the 80's that made fall detectors. It was a rather simple electromechanical detector back then that used 27MHz and an automatic phone dialer.
    If the person fell over the unit would beep and they had 10 seconds to press a button on the pendant to reset the unit else it would dial a list of phone numbers and play a message for help. They could also press the button and hold it in an emergency even if they had no fall.

These days there would be many products which do something similar.
    I would also think that there are community services like meals on wheels that do regular welfare checks etc.

I'd also consider renting out the house and using the rent to pay the nursing home.
    I have no doubt that the nursing home has a lovely range of special fees to help them extract every last cent from your purse.

Accountant is the guy I'd be talking to first then social services.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (02-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

My mother-in-law had to go into a home in Sydney at end-of-life.
    My wife flew up to Sydney and, with one of her siblings, spent two weeks traipsing all over Sydney looking at prospective homes.
    Meantime, back at the ranch, I did a lot of research on the ‘net.
    The wife found an enormous variation in the quality of facilities between homes…..with a direct correlation between said quality and the price of entry.
    It’s one of those industries where cheap ain’t good.

One thing we both found…her from the foot-slogging, and me from the reading, was that there was one organisation that should be avoided at all costs. It’s a crowd whose headquarters are based somewhere in Italy.

The family eventually settled on the Moran facility at Sylvania.
    The Moran crowd had a bad rap some years back, but the son took over from the old man a while back and has now won international awards for the quality of their facilities and care, particularly the new stuff he’s been building the last few years.
    The wife described Sylvania as being a geriatric Club Med.

The family were totally satisfied with the level of care provided….the MILs house in Sydney had to be sold to pay the bond ……a figure that would make your eyes water, but which is fully refunded on death or departure.
    The MIL died before the house sale completed, and the much smaller deposit which had been paid to get her into the facility was refunded promptly and without fuss. Not sure what State you’re in, but NSW has got some pretty tight rules around the financial aspects of this stuff.

If your father-in-law has only months to go, you may find yourself in much the same situation. You pay a deposit to get the individual into the facility, but by the time the house has been sold and settled, the full bond payment is no longer necessary.

I agree with others that the train has probably already left the station regards any attempt to get the house out of his name.
    Not sure which department is involved, but I think you will find that there is a Government organisation that will provide you with plenty of help and advice in this matter. A quick chat with the family solicitor would be a good idea as well.

The MIL was ex-service (WW2) and Legacy were absolutely brilliant from the time her husband died some years prior right through to the end.

It’s a tough call…but bear this in mind….if you try do it on the cheap, and it all goes pear-shape, the cost, both financial and emotional, will most likely far outweigh the higher cost of a better facility.

And if your State laws are anything like the NSW laws, your wife should have nothing to worry about in respect of her inheritance.

Good luck.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

allover (27-04-19),enf (26-04-19),fandtm666 (27-04-19),hazman (28-04-19),OSIRUS (27-04-19),Tiny (29-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

As long as a family member lives at the property it is excluded.
    Make sure someone moves in.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (02-05-19),VroomVroom (29-04-19)

Thanks

I think this is unfair. Have you tried to find a good lawyer who could advise you on this issue?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    Income and assets assessment for aged care home costs

The value of your former family home

Part of the value of your former family home may be counted in your assets assessment, but not in all cases. It won’t be counted as an asset if:

your partner or dependent children is living there, or

a carer eligible for an Australian Government income support payment has been living there for at least two years, or

a close relative who is eligible for an Australian Government income support payment has been living there for at least five years.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (27-04-19),enf (27-04-19),fandtm666 (27-04-19),OSIRUS (27-04-19),Tiny (29-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

This site has been promoted heavily on Sydney radios stations of late -

It does have some good information, flow charts and plans which may assist.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

enf (27-04-19),porkop (27-04-19),shred (27-04-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    gifts - sale etc are calculated over a 5 yr period .

so even if its signed over to them now it will be 5 yrs till its
    not considered an asset.

The $250k deposit can be kissed good buy once its paid over because
    you will get jack back.

They are so evil when my wife's father passed they had the audacity to bill
    for another month because they are legally allowed to and say its to fill
    the bed but he passed in his sleep and that very same day a new person was
    in the bed. They kept sending the bills and even a debt collector who i gave the address
    that he was in at coffs, the next day he came back and said mate that's a cemetery
    yeah but he is there did he pay because my name aint XXXX and fked if i will
    Nursing Homes for the old are the Scum of the Earth. I had my Auntie go to one and she stupidly signed her house over (fast and smooth Talking)after we told here NOT TO SIGN ANYTHING before you talk to us and she was conned and passed away 9 months later and it took 5 years to get some yes some of the money back. They had a Hide to charge repairs of a leaking Tap around $250, Change a Light globe that was blown when she walked in (duel light in the Kitchen) around $380 for a 60 cent globe. They bough up a List as long as a runway for thing that need to be repaired or owning so by this they did not need to refund much. SCUM OF THE EARTH and no doubt most are like this today$$$$$$$$$ that it $$$$$$$.
    And the second SCUM of the Earth are the Lawyers, their Lawyers as they protect them, surly they now what they are doing is wrong, Again $$$$$$$ For them too.
    Anyone that does go to a Nursing Home MAKE sure you family take a VIDEO inside (they have sign there NO VIDEO ALLOWED on this Premises. Video even inside the toilet because they will charge you $680- or $780 (i forgot but it was a lot) to replace a chipped porcelain toilet bowl, and over $5000 to replace the Stain carpet which my sister said it was there the first day when my auntie moved in. I bet if you give them the money for this they would fix NOTHING and sucker the next person that dies and give their family the same bill.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

hazman (28-04-19),OSIRUS (27-04-19),william10 (27-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    I think u will find If another family member has been living in the home for the past 5 years and or was a primary carer for the person going to a nursing home they can stay and the house is excluded from the assets test

Best Check with Centerlink

Premium Lager

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sergino View Post
    I think this is unfair. Have you tried to find a good lawyer who could advise you on this issue?
    My opinion of lawyers isn’t particularly good!

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (27-04-19),enf (27-04-19),hazman (28-04-19),Mr 672A (27-04-19),william10 (27-04-19)

Thanks

+1
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast