Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My silly fridge

Thanks

Default My silly fridge

Had the service guy here a couple of weeks ago to fix our fridge under warranty ... purchased 10-01-2018 ... 2 year warranty.
    Temp went right up in the freezer and fridge sections.
    Air flow blocked cos it didn't defrost like it should.
    Not sure what they're doing to fix it yet , put in a claim for $130 worth of spoilt food to LG today.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Looks like the heater has gone. Yes, Fridges have heaters.
    If you turn it off and let that Ice melt and the thing works as it should when turned back on, at least for a week or so, will definitely be the heater.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (29-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

What was replaced and were there any error codes?
    Normally the cause of this type of ice build up is due to the location of the defrost terminate sensor. Fix is to relocate it so the defrost has longer to reach the top of the evaporator. I'm assuming this is a side-by-side model.
    Even though the product is designed for tropical use ("T" in the climate class on the compliance plate), they do suffer from ice accumulation in humid environments; i.e. "Mid North Coast NSW".
    The defrost element is at the very bottom of the evaporator and termination will occur at around 5° C or after sixty minutes.
    Is it now functional?
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following User Says Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (29-04-19)

Thanks

I can't look at it cos it's still under warranty. No error codes, and yes it's working properly at the moment but I can't see inside the back panel to know if ice is forming again.
    Service guy knock off all the ice. He said the defrost sensor needs to be moved but when the cracks were discovered he said he was going to hit up LG for a new fridge. I don't think he touch anything for that reason.
    I rang the service mob a week or so later to find out what LG is going to do. They reckon LG said to just tape over the cracks and I think he's supposed to be coming back to do something about the icing issue.
    When I sent LG that email for claim of perished food, I also added : "The 2 cracks are in the freezer lining which is a single piece internal plastic moulding of the entire freezer section. This panel forms part of the integral structure of the refrigerator and has now been downgrade by the cracks. This panel is load bearing for the shelves and the many Kg of food placed on them and is also load bearing for the evaporator mounted to it. I believe the refrigerator in its present state is structurally unsound and should be replaced with a new one under warranty and at no cost to me."

Just gotta wait to hear back.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 30-04-19 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks

The fact of the matter is the Fridge is less than 18 months old. by consumer law it is reasonable to expect a Fridge to last more than 18 months without defects of any kind. As the problems now were caused by a fault of the unit and cant be properly fixed, I would say you are well within consumer rights to get a replacement and that's the route I'd be going if you get any sort of run around.

I have had a few things I have bought over the last 5 years go tits up at about the 15-18 Month mark and never had any problems getting replacements. One was an LG TV and they came got it and issued a credit where I got it ( JB Hi Fry) so we could get another. This worked out well as we said we lost the recipt so they issued it at the retail price even though a friend who works there got it at staff discount so we could get a bigger set. Fair compensation for the mucking round.

I'd also be pushing a health position if they give any grief. You don't know what is in the insulation or what could get in the cracks and breed where you can't clean it out.

In my experience you shouldn't have a lot of problem getting a replacement but they all seem to want to know you are serious before handing them out. Definitely email everything so you have a record of what has been said/ asked for and see how you go.

I know damn well what i'd be saying if they suggested a patch up with tape on an 18 month old fridge!!

loopyloo (30-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    The fact of the matter is the Fridge is less than 18 months old. by consumer law it is reasonable to expect a Fridge to last more than 18 months without defects of any kind. As the problems now were caused by a fault of the unit and cant be properly fixed, I would say you are well within consumer rights to get a replacement and that's the route I'd be going if you get any sort of run around.

I have had a few things I have bought over the last 5 years go tits up at about the 15-18 Month mark and never had any problems getting replacements. One was an LG TV and they came got it and issued a credit where I got it ( JB Hi Fry) so we could get another. This worked out well as we said we lost the recipt so they issued it at the retail price even though a friend who works there got it at staff discount so we could get a bigger set. Fair compensation for the mucking round.

I'd also be pushing a health position if they give any grief. You don't know what is in the insulation or what could get in the cracks and breed where you can't clean it out.

In my experience you shouldn't have a lot of problem getting a replacement but they all seem to want to know you are serious before handing them out. Definitely email everything so you have a record of what has been said/ asked for and see how you go.

I know damn well what i'd be saying if they suggested a patch up with tape on an 18 month old fridge!!
    Yeah I'll let them come back to me with a decision. The ball's in their court at the moment so that's their right.
    I happen to like LG products and have had no bad problems with them in the past, so I've not had the opportunity to test out LG on their warranties. Just hope they're sensible about it.
    If they don't want to supply a descent and permanent fix I'll go to the ACCC. I only hope that they will do something about it.
    The only descent and permanent fix I can see is a brand new one.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 30-04-19 at 01:46 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

Skepticist (30-04-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    Yeah I'll let them come back to me with a decision. The ball's in their court at the moment so that's their right.
    I happen to like LG products and have had no bad problems with them in the past, so I've not had the opportunity to test out LG on their warranties. Just hope they're sensible about it.
    If they don't want to supply a descent and permanent fix I'll go to the ACCC. I only hope that they will do something about it.
    The only descent and permanent fix I can see is a brand new one.
    Fair Trading is the one to contact. I contacted them a few years ago about a Sony TV (Sony like a lot of others give one year warranty) that developed a tint in the screen and Sony only wanted to repair it. It was a known fault and would return after a couple of years after their repair. I had documents to show this. The woman I spoke to at Fair Trading told me that although Sony only gives 12 months warranty, any electrical/whitegoods item must be expected to work for 3 years as designed, by Fair Trading law. I launched action by going online with Fair Trading, completing a questionaire regarding the problem and requesting a hearing. I then paid $36 (believe it is more now). Both I and Sony received a hearing date, and one week before the hearing, I received a call from Sony's repair people offering me a new TV in exchange for the faulty unit.
    So the point is, ring Fair Trading and explain the situation, they will advise you. Good luck.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

gulliver (01-05-19),loopyloo (01-05-19)

Thanks

My father had a Sony TV that got a line across it at the 1/3rd mark. Thing was 15 Months old. Went back to where he bought it and told them and the first reaction from the young gun sales guy was " It's 15 months old, you should have got extended warranty".

I looked and smiled at the guy and said you might get away with that with people like whim who don't know better but we can do this the polite civil way or I'll bring down a shit storm and you know well you won't win and I'll drag the place through the mud because that's the kind of mongeral I am. I said we both know very well a warranty means Jack, You don't pay 4 grand for a TV that shits itself in 15 Months. Now, which way we going to do this, the professional way or the other way?
    I could see by the look on his face that hit home.

I then smiled and said Right, so when are you going to get someone to look at it or you want me to bring in in tomorrow? They took the come look at it option but were none to quick about it so another visit to the manager with a " Oh, you are the one" and there was a guy there 3 days later who took The old set and the shop sent out someone with the new set and to install it a couple of days later.

Dad Since bought a bigger set for the Lounge room, need to look twice to see if I'm looking at the TV or out the window size of the thing but this time he decided to go for a Panasonic seeing the First Sony crapped out so quick.

Don't think it makes that much difference. they are all the same at similar price points and they can all be good or made on friday Jobs.
    We just bought a new washing machine and did get the additional 5 year warranty so if it craps out in the next 6 years I don't care. Might even " Develop" a fault at the 5.5 year mark yet.... you never know with these things !
    From what the repair guy said when he looked at the old one, might be lucky to get 5 years these days. :0(

loopyloo (01-05-19)

Thanks

I forgot about this thread.
    LG took a while but they ended up agreeing with me about the cracks in the panel.
    We were reimbursed for the spoiled food and they sent us a brand new fridge. In fact the one they sent is the next model up, basically an identical fridge but with an ice cube thingy added in.
    We are very happy with the new one. I keeps perfect temp, is totally silent, and the doors operate better. It's clear the other one was definitely faulty.
    There is a renewed confidence in buying LG products too.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (07-08-19),eeprommemory (14-08-19),hinekadon (07-08-19),LeroyPatrol (09-08-19),tristen (07-08-19)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Ah, that's a good outcome, Loopy.

Thanks very much for the update.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (08-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    I forgot about this thread.
    LG took a while but they ended up agreeing with me about the cracks in the panel.
    We were reimbursed for the spoiled food and they sent us a brand new fridge. In fact the one they sent is the next model up, basically an identical fridge but with an ice cube thingy added in.
    We are very happy with the new one. I keeps perfect temp, is totally silent, and the doors operate better. It's clear the other one was definitely faulty.
    There is a renewed confidence in buying LG products too.
    Glad you had an exceptional outcome with LG as they tried to screw me years ago with a front loader washing machine, eventually the retail shop that came to my rescue with a new washing machine (different brand)
    All I can say LG were the best a** h**** to deal with when it came to warranty as they lied and tried to con me, I vowed I would never purchase another LG product ever again.

Cheers

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ranger1 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (11-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
    Glad you had an exceptional outcome with LG as they tried to screw me years ago with a front loader washing machine, eventually the retail shop that came to my rescue with a new washing machine (different brand)
    All I can say LG were the best a** h**** to deal with when it came to warranty as they lied and tried to con me, I vowed I would never purchase another LG product ever again.

Cheers
    Actually, I know that the problem I had claiming a new fridge with LG in the beginning was caused by the service guys getting in the way. LG didn't believe the problem was so bad because the service guys told them they fixed it. It wasn't until I sent them the photos of the damage that they took my side.

I will continue to buy LG products because I really like them. They are generally good value for price and easier to fix. They don't break too soon like some and there's plenty of parts available. eg we had our last washing machine 18 years and only did one repair, a new pump. When the misses decided she wanted a bigger machine we sold the old one in perfect working order.
    We've had a lot of LG stuff over the years and the only thing we've had trouble with is the fridge in this thread.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (11-08-19),tristen (11-08-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

I have another story in regards to a Hoover washing machine. We'd had Hoover front loaders since our kids were babies in the early 80s. Come the mid 90s and we on our 3rd machine having worn the other two out. Literally! The "new" machine was out of warranty and the door latch kept failing, it appeared to be a design flaw. They replaced the machine with a brand new one with still the same problem. In the end they actually refunded our money, this was over twelve months past our warranty expiry. The only problem we had then, was, what machine to buy? Despite the problem I will still sing Hoover's praises, they went well beyond the call of duty to ensure we had a reliable machine. In the end we visited the local service agent and asked them what machines they rarely saw and purchased a F&P as a result. Interestingly enough this machine "failed" some six months later. Call to service agent who sent a tech out. He found a bagging needle had managed to find its way into the pump! One of my tribe had apparently found it on the way home from school and promptly forgotten that it was in a pocket. Ring said agent with profound apologies, and said "send us the bill as it was our fault". His response to SWMBO "Lady, if I see the bill, you won't!" We never did see that bill.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (12-08-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I bought a used Hoover front loader from a private seller late 80's for peanuts. It sounded like a turbo fan jet engine, that is why I liked it. Probably had 2000 revs which would have been pretty fast back then.
    I moved to Australia in 2001 and left it in Germany with the new owners of the house.
    Wish I took it with me.
    When I came back here we bought a new Simpson Top loader without knowing what a load of crap they are.
    Then finally a Bosch front loader that I have repaired at least 4 time now, total design flaw and I completely rebuilt the spider, which has now worked for over 6 years ever since.

Samsung Fridge fixed 5 times at least, including re-gassing with air duster.

I guess what you bought since y2k is like lotto.
    I know of people who were furious about their Life's (not so) Good washing machine and the audacity of the service agent, I think their call out fee was $180 alone.

Of course I only heard about all the complaints about Samsung Fridges after I bought ours.

...oh and my beer fridge is an old F&P freezer I picked up in a garage sale, which i modified to constant 5.5˚C temp. Surely 30 y/o by now but the rust is starting to bite in the inside, which is my fault from scraping the walls when I was sliding the kegs in.
    Dreading the day I might have to replace it.

More cool data:
    A wattmeter on the modified F&P Kegerator reveals an average of 110Wh per day, yes you are reading correctly: 0.11kWh !!! That is $14 A YEAR to enjoy perfectly served crafty beer every day, well if I had to pay for it. I do have to pay roughly $14 a year for the CO2.
    How much does a pint of beer in a Sydney club cost these days?

The Samsung side by side fridge uses 2.2kWh per day(on cool days).
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-08-19 at 11:34 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (12-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    I bought a used Hoover front loader from a private seller late 80's for peanuts.

When I came back here we bought a new Simpson Top loader without knowing what a load of crap they are.
    Just replaced our Simpson top loader a few months ago. Was a bit disappointed, thing was only 20 years old and never been touched. Seal leaked into the gearbox and stuffed the clutches. It's up the back and I reckon I could fix it if I get motivated.

Asked service guy I got out what was a good brand. He said Hoover, same as you have. I said that's a simpson. He beckoned me to the back of the machine and pointed to a label, HOOVER. He said they are all made by the same company and rattled off about 5 Brands. All one in the same.

Told us what machine to get and said it's got the same guts as the one you have only the controls now are electronic not mechanical. I know one side is up to par at least. Sure enough we get the thing and I'm looking at it and it's the same. I go get the soap dispenser thing out the middle of the agitator and it's Identical and fits right in. They have certainly been making the mechanicals a while now! Might be better to just swap the mechanical timer out the old one into the new one.

As for F&P washing machines, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Their Motors are great especially for making wind generators and alternators out of when the rest shits itself. Neighbour had a fetish for them and was always getting me to fix the things. Got friendly with the local parts guys who told me that every time the pump got blocked or there was a bit of a spike or sag in the voltage, it took out the board which was exactly what happens to hers.

In the end the daughter bought her a new one so she had extended warranty and the thing still shit itself. Their Permanent magnet motor design which eliminates the gearbox and separate motor is genius but the piss poor design of the control board is ridiculous. I honestly believe I could make something far better and more reliable out of an arduino . There just aren't that many inputs or outputs and any basic circuit design would incorporate more protection. The pump or level sensor go out on them and it takes the whole lot with it. You can get "re manufactured" boards but they are expressly sold with NO warranty because they know dam well what is going to happen.

Bit like the no longer made control board in my Ducted AC unit. Only repairer wants $250+ GST to change the known fault of the relays going out.
    Got them off the net for $15 for the set and de soldered the old ones and put the new ones in myself. Took longer to reconnect all the dam wires than it did to swap the relays.
    Have a couple of solar inverters the same. Relays die, stupid prices to replace them so they get thrown out. Thank you very much!

The guy that came out I spoke to spotted my ground mount solar array. He said the Hoovers controls were VERY sensitive to High voltage and he would turn the solar off when running the machine. Not going to happen but we have High line voltage here anyway, even at 3am when I have noticed there tends not to be a lot of sun in these parts. I Bought the 5 Yr warranty which was pretty cheap so I really don't care. If the thing makes it to 4.5 Years I may hook it up to my IMAG generator and give it a blast so I can get a new one.

Had a mate that used to cook a lot of his electronics in the microwave just before warranty was up on them so he could get a new one. 2 sec was all it took to fry any thing and of course never left a mark anywhere so was put down to a manufacturing fault and replaced.
    Only guy I ever knew to get a high end SLR camera replaced. Only camera they ever knew for the board, the shutter and the LCD to all go out on. Only thing they asked was if he had the thing near a CAT scan machine. :0)

loopyloo (12-08-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

That Simpson thing we got costed $550 back in the 2001 which today I would consider a rip off, but SWMBO needed it immediately. It definitely did not have a Hoover sticker in the back. It had a plastic drum that got holes in it pretty soon, that I kept fixing with fibreglass. The spin was only 600rpm but at least there is a lot sun here.
    You could almost wear some clothes straight out of the old hover front loader.
    Worst problem was the lint on the clothing with the Simpson. Some how the lint filter never worked properly even after replacement. The wash result was always disgusting.
    Maybe some other models might have been better but what we bought was utter crap.
    As I said what you buy after 2000 is always like a lottery ticket.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (12-08-19)

Thanks

Heres a tip, if you ever have to regas your frige it has a leak so dump it

• The Following User Says Thank You to HILLVIEW103 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (12-08-19)

Thanks

In reply to nomeat, have been using own co2 for years. Simply catch co2 from fermenter overnight into 20" tube. Pump into 9kg gas bottle using old fridge compressor. Lasts about 3 kegs. Gauges are old oxy/acet.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Mix For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (12-08-19),Uncle Fester (12-08-19)

Thanks

In reply to Hillview 103,. depends on size of leak. I have had fridges go for many years after topup of refrigerant. Don't use bullet fittings, they always leak. I solder Schrader valve into inlet line.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Mix For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (12-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mix View Post
    In reply to nomeat, have been using own co2 for years. Simply catch co2 from fermenter overnight into 20" tube. Pump into 9kg gas bottle using old fridge compressor. Lasts about 3 kegs. Gauges are old oxy/acet.
    Oh heck .... you're gonna have to explain that setup now....and with pictures

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (12-08-19),Uncle Fester (12-08-19)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast