Thread: Old Literature/Satellite Material

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Default Old Literature/Satellite Material

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has old satellite TV literature/reading material that they would perhaps like to part with (I would purchase it from you).

I am in particular looking for things like the old World Satellite Almanac handbooks by Mark Long between the years of c. 1987/88 to 1997. Things like the World Satellite Annual (e.g. 1993) and the TELE-Satellite/TELE-Audiovision magazines would also be nice.

Also things like the supplementary transponder reports of the Almanac in-between the actual published books for example.

I am looking for old channel charts and things like that in particular, but I like the articles in the Almanac and TELE-satellite too.

I'm very keen finding out more on stuff like the old Intelsats V, VI, VII and Panamsats.

Cheers.

Look Here ->
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mohs View Post
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has old satellite TV literature/reading material that they would perhaps like to part with (I would purchase it from you).

Cheers.
    I had one of the book from Mark Long that weight a ton and was the size of a Phone book but some how I got misplaced of better still one of our Large boxes full of books and manuals got stolen when me moved from Sydney to Brisbane. Actually I think I had more than one as I purchased them from AV Comm (think that the name) from Sydney. Those were the days when we had no internet and had to rely on what was on that book or what AV comm sent out quarterly in his news report. If I remember AV Comm was owner by Garry Cratt or something like that.

If I remember those World Satellite Almanac were very expensive and would be a collectors dream today.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 08-05-19 at 09:40 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

irritant (09-05-19)

Thanks

Default Dick smith

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    I had one of the book from Mark Long that weight a ton and was the size of a Phone book but some how I got misplaced of better still one of our Large boxes full of books and manuals got stolen when me moved from Sydney to Brisbane. Actually I think I had more than one as I purchased them from AV Comm (think that the name) from Sydney. Those were the days when we had no internet and had to rely on what was on that book or what AV comm sent out quarterly in his news report. If I remember AV Comm was owner by Garry Cratt or something like that.

If I remember those World Satellite Almanac were very expensive and would be a collectors dream today.
    Dick smith had quite a few books in the day, there was very little that was australia based, most were US. Garry Cratt, ex dick smith employee if my memory was ok, of avcomm had a lot of information. My suggestion would be to look at the American radio history site and search through the electronics Australia archives,

You will find articles from Garry and info. I put up my first dish, 12 foot paraclipse, 85 deg LNA, chaparral feed with fibreglass dielectric to get RHCP, downconverter, and old winegard receiver. Got AFRTS off intelsat 4A over Guam. What fun that was...

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cqsatnet For This Useful Post:

hazman (10-05-19),hinekadon (08-05-19),irritant (09-05-19),Learjet (24-05-19),Mr 672A (09-05-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

That was the old days when you needed 12 dish to get the feeds on Intelsat @ 180 deg. Also the AFARTS feed that was on there on bmac that was eventually hacked. Yes those were the days as you have to wait 3 months before you found out they was a new feed as you had no internet, no blind scanning no nothing

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

hazman (10-05-19),irritant (09-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mohs View Post
    Hey guys,

I am in particular looking for things like the old World Satellite Almanac handbooks by Mark Long between the years of c. 1987/88 to 1997. Things like the World Satellite Annual (e.g. 1993) and the TELE-Satellite/TELE-Audiovision magazines would also be nice.

Also things like the supplementary transponder reports of the Almanac in-between the actual published books for example.

I am looking for old channel charts and things like that in particular, but I like the articles in the Almanac and TELE-satellite too.

I'm very keen finding out more on stuff like the old Intelsats V, VI, VII and Panamsats.

Cheers.
    Yes I have most of those books here, but I could not bring my self to part with them. They were the Holly Grail for Sat TV hobbyists in the late 80-90s. Mark Long was based in Thailand. I also have heaps of 80s US sat magazines stored away. I always thought when I get older in my old age I will read through them and reminisce he he. Now I am old I can not be F@@@@d, never though that the internet would be around then.

There was a thriving Sat Tv hobbyist community in Aust in the 90s. Av-conn and Garry Cratt brought it to mainstream when he wrote a multi part article in “Silicon Chip”. He made a killing from that in sales of surplus sat gear. This is how many people got started in the hobby. I can still remember access his BBS to get articles and software etc.

Satfacts and Bob Cooper came along. Bob was a pioneer US TV and Sat Dxer in the 60-70s who moved to NZ in the 90s. Some may remember “Space” a 10 part 30min Video broadcaster on Optus 3/D2 at the time, that showcased the hobby, sadly I have misplaced these video recordings, they were raw but great educational material for the Sat TV hobbyist.

I could waffle on for hours as this is my favourite part of the sat tv hobby, but I won’t bore you all.

Cheers

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cmoore For This Useful Post:

Cqsatnet (09-05-19),fred49au (10-05-19),hazman (10-05-19),irritant (09-05-19),LeroyPatrol (09-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    That was the old days when you needed 12 dish to get the feeds on Intelsat @ 180 deg. Also the AFARTS feed that was on there on bmac that was eventually hacked. Yes those were the days as you have to wait 3 months before you found out they was a new feed as you had no internet, no blind scanning no nothing
    Afrts didn't have bmac in those days, just clean analog. Was great fun, yes prior to Internet. Magazines and word of mouth. Social media was limited to how far your cb radio would travel..

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cqsatnet For This Useful Post:

hazman (10-05-19),irritant (10-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Do any of you guys still have the user manuals for the boxes like the UEC IRD 642 Aurora, UEC DSD 700, Pace DGT 400 and Panasat IRD 520?
    Last edited by irritant; 17-05-19 at 07:36 AM.

Thanks

Below was printed in Australia by Peter C. Lacey Services Pty Ltd, Frankston VIC 3199... Peter is still running his MATV CATV business.

Last edited by B52; 17-05-19 at 11:11 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B52 For This Useful Post:

irritant (17-05-19),Learjet (24-05-19)