Thread: Mistakes on $50 Note. What A Joke.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

Default Mistakes on $50 Note. What A Joke.

Bwahahahaha...how many times were they proof checked I wonder...FFS.

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (10-05-19),mkhannah (09-05-19)

Look Here ->

Thanks

I was looking for the extra "zero" on my notes

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

eaglem (10-05-19),enf (09-05-19),hazman (11-05-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

It's making international news.

At least the yanks can have a giggle to briefly take their minds of the political sh!tfight over there.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Must be the same person that is displaying petrol prices, they seem to be wrong also
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (10-05-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

No the petrol prices are about right:

The yellow and green note, which is worth around US$35,
    Maybe they should just reprint our $50 with the comment: "It is actually only worth $35", to keep us reminded where our economy is heading.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (11-05-19),eaglem (10-05-19),Guiseppe (11-05-19),gulliver (10-05-19),hinekadon (09-05-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

If they fix the error on the note .... and notes printed later do not have the error ....

I would suggest anyone who has one of the notes with the error (in very good condition i.e no folds tears dirty marks etc ...)

should put it away it may be worth a lot more to banknote collectors in years to come
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Learjet (17-05-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Sadly, Osirius the round 50c coin is more likely to be a better investment, there are way too many of them in circulation and people like yourself think that they are on a winner, but, in reality any collector who is serious would have already latched onto a mint unused one. People also hung onto the old $1 and $2 notes in the hope of a ROI and, typically, find that they are worth more at the local store than they are to a collector.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Default Mistakes on $50 Note. What A Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    should put it away it may be worth a lot more to banknote collectors in years to come
    Already going for $700...

Last edited by peteramjet; 10-05-19 at 10:41 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

enf (10-05-19),Keith (11-05-19),OSIRUS (11-05-19),Uncle Fester (11-05-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks

And no bids yet.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    And no bids yet.
    Buy it now.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

If they fix the error on the note .... and notes printed later do not have the error ....

I would suggest anyone who has one of the notes with the error (in very good condition i.e no folds tears dirty marks etc ...)

They stated in the reports that the bills will NOT be taken out of circulation so are millions of them.
    Collectors are after things that are RARE.
    Certain serial numbers like so called radar numbers and low volume prints of errors that were found quickly are in demand.

Yes 50c rounds contain a lot of silver so they are worth a fair bit more than all the other scrap metal and toilet paper we call money.

LOL at that Ebay listing, "Only 400Million printed"
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-05-19 at 01:27 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Correct, 3 round fifty cent coins make up 1 ounce of silver. The selling price of round fifty cent coins is based on silver prices not on rarity. Anybody who hoards any of these fifty dollar notes will lose in the long run. They will only be worth fifty dollars in the future, but the buying value of the note then will be less, so the hoarder loses.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

enf (12-05-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

The People who are making a killing on the new $50 at the moment are the ones that have the AA18 (first prefix serial numbers) and are in CFU (Crisp Flat Uncirculated) condition as well as having the error which makes them highly collectible

I have seen people selling these on ebay for $84 and upwards

True other new $50 notes with other less important serial numbers and in less collectible condition with the error may only be worth face value for many years unless not many are saved by collectors
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 12-05-19 at 12:41 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I'm not sure some people understand the bigger picture here.

Money (cash) is like a loan taken out by the government. They have to repay that loan when they take that money out of circulation.
    Now that might mean they print a new note. Pay out the existing loan with a new loan.

But if that note is lost or taken out of circulation, the government never has to pay it back. It's $50 free money to the government.
    Money isn't always what is printed on it as face value.

If the government can convince people to hoard cash for decades, (thinking their $50 note will be worth $500 in the future) when the future does come and they decide to sell the note only to discover it is only worth $50 (because so many of the error note exists) that they decide it's just simpler to spend it.
    But inflation has made $50 worth less over that period of time. The note runs back into circulation and then out again to the government.
    $50 in 2019 is worth $40 in 2029 when the note re-enters circulation and then is recovered. That's $10 the government never had to pay back.
    It's not as good as the $50, but as they say in the alley behind the Oxford Hotel, $10 is $10.

What is the most common Australian banknote in circulation?
    It's the $50 note, followed by (half) the $100. Together they make up more than two thirds of the notes (not the value) in circulation.
    There is almost twice as many $100 notes as there are $5 notes. Yet you hardly ever see the $100 notes.
    Try asking a bank for $100 notes when you withdraw a large sum of cash. They usually have to resort to $50 notes.

What does that tell you about the Australian economy?

I love giving conspiracy nutters the $100 note story. You can it causes a minor seizure as their brain pushes small square pegs into large round holes and wonders why they fit?
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (13-05-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

The People who are making a killing on the new $50 at the moment are the ones that have the AA18 (first prefix serial numbers) and are in CFU (Crisp Flat Uncirculated) condition as well as having the error which makes them highly collectible

I have seen people selling these on ebay for $84 and upwards

True other new $50 notes with other less important serial numbers and in less collectible condition with the error may only be worth face value for many years unless not many are saved by collectors
    Correct with the AA prefix. First and last prefix do get more than face value, and that value is less if the serial number isn't in the low numbers or near the end of the production run for the last prefix, but sometimes it is not worth the effort to hold onto and sell these types of notes. With the Ebay sales, I wouldn't call that a killing, as Ebay charge 10% and paypal charge 2.9% and a static fee. So 13% of $84 is just under $11 meaning $73 sale, if it does actually sell. With packaging and running to the post office, it really isn't worth it.
    Last edited by Keith; 14-05-19 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I find it amusing that the new notes are disappearing from circulation really fast.
    I've only seen one since the announcement and I've had about $600 in 50's pass through my hands, all of them old notes.

It's a bit like $1 mules. The price seems to have settled back to $700-$800 on ebay for them. They were as high as $1500, which was a bit ridiculous given how many were minted.
    Even the non-mules are now worth more than $1. There were 7.5 million 2000 one dollar coins minted that weren't special marks (not mules) And yet 1987 $1 coins are rarer.
    There are only 200,000 of them in existence and some of them were accidentally minted in 22ct gold.

So by this logic.... hoard those shiny $50 notes.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.