Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How's you Telstra internet ?

Thanks

Default How's you Telstra internet ?

Hi guys, We need to change to a different ISP. Just wondering if it's worth transitioning to telstra (or not)
    If you're with telstra for internet/home phone, what's your experience?
    Do you get good speeds rated/actual, service reliability and what are they like at fixing problems ?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Telstra phone/internert has been good for me for many years.

Still on ADSL2+ but generally get reliably good data rates on it. (Still waiting on NBN)

As for service..... very poor. All their support is based in Manila, the staff have little idea of their scripted responses to customer-reported faults.

Australian contracted techs are equally frustrated by the poor communication (pun intended) with Manila.

If your area is still served by Telstra street cable (Eg: not NBN) using another carrier adds to the problems as any faults have to go through that carrier first, then passed onto Telstra Manila, then back to tech contractors in Australia.

Fond memories of reporting a fault one day and often having it fixed the same day, speaking to Australian call centre staff and often speaking directly to the Telstra-employed tech who would be coming to repair the fault.

What often could be solved in a day, usually now takes several days, weeks, or even months.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (15-05-19),loopyloo (10-05-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

+1 to MTV.

I'm with Telstra in a rural area. All the carriers use telstra backbone, and in many cases, when on DSL, telstra DSLAMS too. Now I'm on wireless broadband with an aerial on the roof. Still telstra as I'm not sure if anyone else services our area yet.

In the past I was with Internode but for the aforementioned issues I'd probably still be with them. If you can, ensure that your provider cannot duck shove to the backbone provider whatever you choose. Otherwise it becomes "have you checked x" and when you ring x they ask "have you checked y" then the bunfight begins.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (10-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

Agreed, Telstra's fault service is utter crapola these days. Our phone line goes crackly every time it rains, and goes completely dead if there's been enough rain, regular as clockwork.

Last time it died they guaranteed to fix it within 7 days (their standard response), then that 7 days came and went with still no service (including internet) and when I rang them again I was guaranteed it would be fixed within ANOTHER 7 days, a deadline which they wouldn't move forward even with the amount of abuse I gave them, and then of course a technician didn't turn up until the 7th day and fixed it within about 5 minutes (even though he seemed to barely understand English).

So I rang back their call centre to complain, gave them another load of abuse about being without a phone or the internet for 2 weeks when it only took 5 minutes to fix and was told we'd be credited for half our monthly bill, which never happened despite several more phone calls over the following months, eventually I just gave up, which of course is what they were counting on!

As above, we're on an old copper network and we've been told that our area won't be getting NBN (land-based) coverage in the foreseeable future as we're in a rural area that's too sparsely populated, so going with another land-line provider would just make matters worse.

And unfortunately we're in the shadow of a big hill with the only LTE tower near us so wireless is practicably out of the question, yet we're still far enough within the footprint so as not to be eligible for the rebate on satellite!

Andrew

• The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (10-05-19)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Cable 100/5 = $90 inc phone which only receives calls from canvassers
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

DB44 (10-05-19),loopyloo (10-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

mines ok, got a $1000 credit off them last yr as my fttn only pulled 20mb not 25mb
    & i noticed my speeds up to 30 now

been with many isp's over 18 yrs, dial up, adsl, adsl2, ended back with telstra mainly for phone service
    have been on a bundle nbn\foxtel\phone with them for few yrs now, actually cheaper then foxtel\cheapo isp's
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (10-05-19)

Thanks

Was thinking seriously about going back to Westnet but reviews show they have gone to crap, same reviews for iinet. It's really hard to find an honest ISP.

We are not happy with what happened to us.
    Have been with Skymesh for quite a while. Good price, excellent fast internet and the home phone through uni-v port of the NBN box. ....but
    I was informed by them a few months ago that their internet services were bought out by a company called Superloop and that we would be moved to them and otherwise nothing else would change.

Last Friday I received a call from Superloop, that's the first time they contacted me. I was told the internet would be switched over to them that evening. They also said the home phone would not be in operation for a couple of weeks and in the mean time they would call forward any calls to my mobile. That's a bit inconvenient because it meant the 5 phones I have rigged up in our home were out and I'd have to carry my mobile everywhere. Its battery is getting old and need constant charging now. So I agreed to put up with it since they said they wouldn't charge for the phone at this time.

Late Friday night the internet ceased and Superloop were impossible to contact. (it seems everyone else was on the phone to them too)
    Tuesday I finally got through and got the internet working again. When I enquired about the home phone this time I was told it would be at least 6 weeks and more likely 3 month before they would have the home phone system rigged up. That's when I started getting cranky.
    During both of these calls I asked for info about my account, online password setup, billing info etc to be sent to me but still haven't received anything.

So a third call was made. That's when I found out the home phone when they get it going will be flamin' voip and they don't even do email.

I'm really quite peaved !
    Last edited by loopyloo; 11-05-19 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks

maybe

loopyloo (11-05-19)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I had occasion to threaten Telstra with legal action, when it took three weeks to repair a line fault that left a chonically ill friend, (for whom I excercised power of attorney), without a working telephone service.

Personally, I used Telstra for many years and found that their response to fault locating and fixing was woeful.

Even Telstra technicians agreed that the quality of Telstra's service left much to be desired.

My complaints to Telstra executives fell on deaf ears. They appeared to have no interest.

My complaint to the telecommunications ombudsman finally got results.

I have been with Exetel, (who use the Optus network), now for six years or so (both telephone and internet), and find that their service and pricing is excellent.

I have had no complaints whatsoever since I changed providors.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (11-05-19)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

I'm still on ADSL though I've used iPrimus in western Queensland since about 2003, most of the time they've been able to beat Telstra on prices/data even though Telstra owns the infrastructure.
    Similar problems in the past as Bigfella237 with rain around, took them over 3 months to sort that out a couple of years ago.
    Seems ok nowdays, 200 mls a month or so ago didn't cause any issues.
    Their techs like blaming the user's equipment for a lot of problems, and try the 'we can't help if you use Linux' crap occasionally, even if that same equipment/OS works fine at another location.
    Eventually they send a Telstra tech around if things can't be solved by them at their end, with the promise you'll be charged a couple of hundred dollars if the tech finds something is wrong with your equipment.
    NBN seems to be another matter, some people out this way are sick of it not working properly, I'm still on ADSL until I have no choice later this year, hopefully by then it's issues might be sorted.

EDIT:
    Speeds are usually ok, 16Mbps down & 1 Mbps up on a 20/1 plan about 2 k's from the exchange.
    Last edited by Jma; 10-05-19 at 11:47 PM. Reason: More Info

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (11-05-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

I have fttn with Telstra, $99 gives me unlimited 50/20 and Foxtel minimum package. The smartmodem they gave me goes into 4G wireless mode (6mbs down, 1mb up) if my service drops out. Also for home phone you can either plug your phone into the modem or plug it into a bluetooth box that plugs into any power socket so you can have your phone wherever you want. Can't complain. Had a fault recently whereby first call to Telstra was met with "your wireless in your home is causing your fault". Second call, the woman organised a techy to come out the next day. He was an NBN techy and said any faults are fixed by them now. Fixed the problem. I'm happy with Telstra. Oh, been connected now 9 months, speeds are still the same as when I was connected, 46-48 down, 16-18 up, 120 odd metres from the node.
    Last edited by Keith; 11-05-19 at 12:30 PM.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (11-05-19),william10 (11-05-19)

Thanks

What's the "speed boost" with Telstra internet all about ?
    Last edited by loopyloo; 12-05-19 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks

just a way to siphon more cash from you
    their speeds didnt meet the advertised speed a while ago, they got in trouble for this
    so they renamed it to basic, standard, say, fast, 12mb, 25mb & 50mb but mostly never achievable
    altho, mine now hits 30, couldnt get past 23 before so they either upped my plan or i have nfi
    its either a slow 50 or a fast 25, long as it works.

loopyloo (13-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    just a way to siphon more cash from you
    their speeds didnt meet the advertised speed a while ago, they got in trouble for this
    so they renamed it to basic, standard, say, fast, 12mb, 25mb & 50mb but mostly never achievable
    altho, mine now hits 30, couldnt get past 23 before so they either upped my plan or i have nfi
    its either a slow 50 or a fast 25, long as it works.
    We have fttp here so should be just as fast as we had with skymesh, if telstra are doing their job properly..
    I rang em the other day and found out they only have 2 plans. $70 100GB tier 25 and a $90 unlimited tier 50. I asked how come there's no tier 100 and got the reply just add speed boost to the unlimited to get tier 100. $120 makes that pretty expensive.

I'm also curious ... The modem has a sim so it can do wireless as well so if the lines are down you can still get internet wirelessly. Great idea but is that to cover their arse ? How often does Telstras NBN service go down ?
    Last edited by loopyloo; 13-05-19 at 08:39 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,947 Posts

the speed boost also gets you priority at times when the nbn is congested, saturday night etc.

the telstra modems have 4g backup, mine rarely needs it. the gen2 telstra modem works with the 'landline', the gen one does not....

i reboot mine every couple of weeks, it generally only disconnects then.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (13-05-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    We have fttp here so should be just as fast as we had with skymesh, if telstra are doing their job properly..
    I rang em the other day and found out they only have 2 plans. $70 100GB tier 25 and a $90 unlimited tier 50. I asked how come there's no tier 100 and got the reply just add speed boost to the unlimited to get tier 100. $120 makes that pretty expensive.

I'm also curious ... The modem has a sim so it can do wireless as well so if the lines are down you can still get internet wirelessly. Great idea but is that to cover their arse ? How often does Telstras NBN service go down ?
    No such thing as Telstra NBN sorry to say. NBN belongs to NBNco. Telstra pays to resell the service (middleman) same as all the other providers. You will see my post above when I said my NBN service was playing up, I rang Telstra and they arranged for a techy to come out. He was from NBNco and told me any NBN issues, NBN techy's attend. For Telstra ADSL etc, they are still owned by Telstra and a Telstra techy will come out. And the 4G backup is good as once a month I get an email saying work will be conducted on the NBN (by NBNco) and I may lose service. This is at night so no big deal and my service is not interrupted. The 4G back up is just a selling point for Telstra and I'll pay the couple of dollars extra for the service I receive. And to answer your last question, my Telstra service has not gone down since switching to the NBN, but the NBN went down once and was fixed the day after I reported it. My speeds are consistent even in the evening /nighttime.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (15-05-19),loopyloo (17-05-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post

So a third call was made. That's when I found out the home phone when they get it going will be flamin' voip and they don't even do email.

I'm really quite peaved !
    All calls over FTTP are VOIP.

I use MyNetPhone who honoured my Pennytel account and pay almost nothing, usually less than a dollar a month, proper local phone number too. That deal is not available for new customers though.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-05-19 at 09:21 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (17-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    No such thing as Telstra NBN sorry to say. NBN belongs to NBNco. Telstra pays to resell the service (middleman) same as all the other providers. You will see my post above when I said my NBN service was playing up, I rang Telstra and they arranged for a techy to come out. He was from NBNco and told me any NBN issues, NBN techy's attend. For Telstra ADSL etc, they are still owned by Telstra and a Telstra techy will come out. And the 4G backup is good as once a month I get an email saying work will be conducted on the NBN (by NBNco) and I may lose service. This is at night so no big deal and my service is not interrupted. The 4G back up is just a selling point for Telstra and I'll pay the couple of dollars extra for the service I receive. And to answer your last question, my Telstra service has not gone down since switching to the NBN, but the NBN went down once and was fixed the day after I reported it. My speeds are consistent even in the evening /nighttime.
    Yes I'm aware that NBN co is a separate identity. That's why I put "Telstras NBN service", meaning not Telstras adsl or phone or satellite etc.
    Telstra has had a bad reputation for disconnecting and trying to get it fixed so that scares me a bit ( a woman I know was without phone or internet for 2 months because of Telstras incompetence ), but considering so many other telcos have gone bad I've decided to give Telstra a go.
    They'd better not let me down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    All calls over FTTP are VOIP.
    Yes they are all voip technically, but one connection type uses a netphone or voip phone (whatever you like to call it) plugged into your modem/router, and the other uses the uni-v connector on the NBN box.
    The voip phone can have long delay, echo, modulation and all sorts of spacey sounds whereas uni-v makes for a totally natural sounding phone. We were connected via uni-v before and you couldn't tell it from a normal phone. Another thing with voip phone, if the internet goes down so does the phone. With uni-v the phone runs separate to the internet. Also it's possible to have separate providers, eg: phone with Telstra and internet with Optus.

Only a few weeks ago my wife had a call from a friend. She said it was very difficult trying to understand what her friend was saying, then her friend told her she was on a voip phone.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 17-05-19 at 11:50 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Mate, I've had Telstra as my ISP for a few years now.
    I've also had & dealt with, iinet, Internode, TPG, My Republic, Exetel, Optus, Aussie BB just to mention a few.
    Although I do try to support the aforementioned underdogs, most of who provided a very good service... the Telstra network is hands-down the most rock solid network in terms of service.
    BUT.....this has just been my past experience.
    I support competition, but I've done Ping/Jitter & bandwidth tests across every network and always found Telstra outperforming the others.
    Perhaps not by much, but always consistently on top.
    My issue with Telstra has always been Cost and Data caps... not really an issue these days.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shark_Man For This Useful Post:

Keith (18-05-19),loopyloo (17-05-19)

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast