Thread: Icom IC-2000 Forced Narrow Disable?

Thanks

Default Icom IC-2000 Forced Narrow Disable?

Hello guys, Has anyone tried to disable the Forced Narrow function on a IC-F2000 radio? I am using CPS version 1.3 with a F2000S (limited keypad and display) and no matter what I do to write to the radio to turn off Forced Narrow, upon re-reading it always comes back as still ON. This even happens with the Force Narrow Change option set firmly to Enable. I also tried the hint on the help section that states that one can toggle the status of the Force Narrow Change option between Enable/Disable by turning off the radio, then at the same time pressing the P1 and PTT keys and turning the radio back on, but it does not make any difference and the radio just seems to boot normally. The operation does not seem to be having any effect over the actual Forced Narrow function either. Forced Narrow Change: Enable= allows channel set to W to use 25K. Disable= Not allowed, Forced Narrow in effect overrides any BW setting on the channel parameter window. Another thing I tried just in case is to change the CPS Model type from LMR to PMR, but it always jumps back to LMR upon reading the radio. Any ideas please? Much appreciated if someone would have any hints or suggestions.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

If the 2000 is like the 3161 it depended on the firmware version. After a certain version there was no way to change it.

Thanks

Thanks for the info US RADIOMAN, it makes sense. If Forced Narrow is hardcoded into the radio firmware there is nothing that can be done to the CPS on a Hex editor to change it, short of reflashing the radio. It seems its mostly a thing of the "digital" series radios with display and keypad. Simple radios like the IC-F3003/4003 still take Wide BW without any fuss at all. Thing is Icom does not really segment their production into geographical regions like for example Motorola does, and they are still selling a lot of equipment to countries in Latin America, Caribbean, etc. So the exporters of Icom equipment to these regions, which I assume is still a very sizeable slice of total sales for Icom America, are not happy with this inflexibility, and Icom is so far not providing a workable solution for these exceptions either. The FCC should have absolutely no saying on what bandwidth a radio should operate if it is destined to be operated outside the US. I guess if they don't relent, some other mid-tier brand like Kenwood, Vertex, etc might take over all those sales to those overseas markets. Anyway, if anybody else thinks there is still a chance, or has any additional information, please feel free to send in your comments.