Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huawei Discussion Thread

South Australia, Planet Earth, The Galaxy
    Thanks

Question Huawei Discussion Thread

I'm sure as many of you have heard Google are no longer going to be working with Huawei. This is due to new international trade laws that have been set in the US that restrict US Based companies from intentionally distributing US technology to anything that can be related to the Chinese Government.

I've got a Huawei P20 Pro myself and from my knowledge anyone with a current device will still be able to obtain updates and be able to use the Google Play store still. However, I'm unsure if Google apps such as Gmail and Google Pay. I don't think Google know themselves yet either.

Was just wondering what others opinions were. If anyone's got any questions about their device feel free to ask and I'll help the best I can, although, I'm not an expert.
    The internet has given stupid people with stupid ideas the ability to use amazingly intelligent technology to reach other stupid people.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Huawei running Google products, you got he best of both worlds, China spying on you and America spying on you.
    I'm not sure how you can top that
    Last edited by ol' boy; 24-05-19 at 01:03 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (24-05-19),Nickod8090 (24-05-19),Tiny (24-05-19),Uncle Fester (24-05-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Oooh bad, bad Huawei, we must ban them everywhere for spying us ... so bloody what:

Scope of surveillance by public institutionsAs part of the broader it was revealed in September 2013 that the American and British intelligence agencies, the (NSA) and (GCHQ), respectively, have access to the user data on iPhone, BlackBerry, and Android devices. They are reportedly able to read almost all smartphone information, including SMS, location, emails, and notes.

Nickod8090, I started a thread about the Huawei ban in 'Security and Privacy" but it got hijacked by the rednecks. Lets see how long this one lasts

Just wondering if Huawei decided to go the open source path, if somebody who actually has some know how could see form the source code if they are REALLY spying on us, although they probably still can compile something hidden I guess.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Tiny (24-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Huawei running Google products, you got he best of both worlds, China spying on you and America spying on you.
    I'm not sure how you can top that
    Makes me laugh. USA are bagging China for supposedly spying on devices yet the US has the NSA that basically does the same thing. Not to mention at least china don't leak things like the balls-up when the NSA leaked the Eternal Blue vulnerability.

Yeah, I noticed that and hence made this one. Plus, the general public trying to find information are more likely to come here and hopefully this will prevent mass post appearing with the same thing if/when something does happen. I also hope this can stay on topic without turning into a political paintball fight, but we'll wait and see.
    The internet has given stupid people with stupid ideas the ability to use amazingly intelligent technology to reach other stupid people.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Nickod8090 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (24-05-19)

Thanks

i was thinking about getting the HUAWEI P30 Pro later this year but now looking
    at others available

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    at others available
    Awesome, that was what I was hoping
    The P30 might be available for dumping prices a year from now, even if Huawei claims support for existing phones remain, people will be unsure and stay clear like you.

I will then certainly swipe one. I don't use any Google apps, so much better out there.
    Never had a Google account, always installed from apk files.
    They would have to go to my provider to find out my name, at least I would be a person worthy of their interest.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (02-06-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

The ripple effect is happening......

Japan’s Panasonic said on Thursday it was halting business with Huawei, joining a growing list of firms distancing themselves.
    “We’ve stopped all business transactions with Huawei and its 68 group companies … that are subject to the US government ban,” Panasonic spokesman Joe Flynn said.
    British mobile network operator EE, owned by the BT Group, was due to bring Huawei’s first 5G phone to Britain in the coming months but that now looks to be in jeopardy.
    EE chief executive Marc Allera said that the company had “paused” the launch of Huawei’s 5G phones “until we get the information and confidence and the long-term security that our customers … are going to be supported”.
    The group also said it would phase out the use of Huawei equipment in the most sensitive “core” elements of its network infrastructure.
    Vodafone soon followed suit, announcing it was suspending pre-orders of Huawei 5G handsets.
    “We are pausing pre-orders for the Huawei Mate 20X in the UK. This is a temporary measure while uncertainty exists regarding new Huawei 5G devices,” a spokesperson said.
    Also

Huawei can’t officially use microSD cards in its phones going forward
    The company has been barred from the SD Association in latest fallout from US ban
    Last edited by ol' boy; 25-05-19 at 06:30 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

After thinking about this latest situation, it just dawned on me
    Every big nation throughout history has needed a War to make it successful

I think Trump is just replaying history and being another ignition point. Trade War, lets have one.
    It is already working, we are talking about it, big companies have made financial decisions about it, the media is rife with it.
    People on this website are already reconsidering what their next phone will be, now that Huawei seems like too much trouble.

But lets look back where it really started, it started with China
    China banned Facebook, China Banned YouTube, China banned Google... so what now, USA banned Huawei
    (for what ever reasons they wish to invent and present to the masses)
    Much the same as China does to its population

So instead of mature round table discussions, America is just doing to China, what China has done to them.
    It will be for someones gain, there is no doubt someone or many are the beneficiaries of this
    And my guess is, China needs an enemy to survive and America needs an enemy to survive.

Because Trump and the Chinese Government both use the same animosity and rhetoric to control the masses
    China (Governments control over the masses) would fall apart without a foreign enemy.

Trump, making America Great Again, even if its Mafia tactics, in the way of a 90 Day licence
    (Much like the way the Mafia might give you 90 Days to come up with the money or agree to their terms)

Trump, trying to get some control back of the biggest International Trade Route in the world today
    Using Google as his henchman as they have a vested interest in opening up China to them also.

But, has America bitten off more than they can chew, in 2 years will other emerging markets out strip them..... Game On.

Trump: I'll give you 90 days grace period.
    Huawei CEO: No need! We're ready.
    Trump: Give me 90 days to get ready then...

Arresting Meng Wanzhou (Ren's daughter and CFO of Hauwei) in Canada was a wrong move
    Has there been any evidence? The court system are up against it this time.
    As painting China in a poor light or embarrassing them will not go well.

Now, where is my Thread about the Linux Smartphone gone again, was at least 5 years ago
    Its a shame Open Source can't beat these monopolies
    Last edited by ol' boy; 25-05-19 at 11:52 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (25-05-19),Nickod8090 (25-05-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

So with this massive Trade War and Taraff tit for tat
    Is their an emerging market in being a middle man half way across the Pacific Ocean?

Thanks

Wink

After thinking about this latest situation, it just dawned on me
    Every big nation throughout history has needed a War to make it successful

I think Trump is just replaying history and being another ignition point. Trade War, lets have one.
    It is already working, we are talking about it, big companies have made financial decisions about it, the media is rife with it.
    People on this website are already reconsidering what their next phone will be, now that Huawei seems like too much trouble.

But lets look back where it really started, it started with China
    China banned Facebook, China Banned YouTube, China banned Google... so what now, USA banned Huawei
    (for what ever reasons they wish to invent and present to the masses)
    Much the same as China does to its population

So instead of mature round table discussions, America is just doing to China, what China has done to them.
    It will be for someones gain, there is no doubt someone or many are the beneficiaries of this
    And my guess is, China needs an enemy to survive and America needs an enemy to survive.

Because Trump and the Chinese Government both use the same animosity and rhetoric to control the masses
    China (Governments control over the masses) would fall apart without a foreign enemy.

Trump, making America Great Again, even if its Mafia tactics, in the way of a 90 Day licence
    (Much like the way the Mafia might give you 90 Days to come up with the money or agree to their terms)

Trump, trying to get some control back of the biggest International Trade Route in the world today
    Using Google as his henchman as they have a vested interest in opening up China to them also.

But, has America bitten off more than they can chew, in 2 years will other emerging markets out strip them..... Game On.

Trump: I'll give you 90 days grace period.
    Huawei CEO: No need! We're ready.
    Trump: Give me 90 days to get ready then...

Arresting Meng Wanzhou (Ren's daughter and CFO of Hauwei) in Canada was a wrong move
    Has there been any evidence? The court system are up against it this time.

Now, where is my Thread about the Linux Smartphone gone again, was at least 5 years ago
    Its a shame Open Source can't beat these monopolies
    Yeah, I suppose that's true in China banning Facebook and Such. However, USA is still doing it for the wrong motive in my opinion. It's not as a punishment for China, but more so USA can appear powerful and beat their chest infront of China.

People tend to forget what's made in China. From Medical to Automotive, if China seized those factories and prevented any of them from doing buisness with USA there would be a lot of buisnesses that would have no means of manafacturing anything and would go bankrupt pretty quickly.

Trump needs to realise that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    at others available
    I'd hold off. At this stage we don't know if some of the core functionalities we rely on such as Gmail and the use of an SD card will even work yet.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickod8090 View Post
    Yeah, I suppose that's true in China banning Facebook and Such. However, USA is still doing it for the wrong motive in my opinion. It's not as a punishment for China, but more so USA can appear powerful and beat their chest infront of China.
    Nar, Trump just wanted some Tariffs, but the USA also buy most of Chinas rare minerals
    That is the next loaded gun

You are right though, you have to look at who has the most to lose here
    And i don't think its China or Huawei anymore, that ship has sailed...

Although China need to eat, and they are heavily dependent of imported produce

End of the day, i'm probably full of shit, Huawei is hardly that big to have leverage over a whole country
    Maybe its all he had to work with. Google will lose out on one of the Biggest Phone seller in the world.
    I'm sure what ever is "apparently" in a Huawei that has them so concerned could be slipped in a OnePlus just as easy
    They are also sold in the USA

He is sure making a disturbance and getting in the media, which is what he loves
    Last edited by ol' boy; 25-05-19 at 02:46 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Some people have a sense of humour

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

carjackma (31-05-19),Guiseppe (02-06-19),lsemmens (26-05-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

It is interesting for a Country as proud as China and is controlled as China, that they haven't developed their own operating system?
    With their own App Store etc

Apple has one, no one else can use that
    Yet nearly every other phone on the world market users Android

If Trump got too disruptive, he is dealing with the wrong country when it comes to copying and cloning
    Plenty of the world doesn't want America knowing their info too

Thanks

Trump just wants products consumed in the US made in the US. What's so hard about that, we lost 80% of manufacturing here over the last 35-40 years mainly to China due to the likes of companies like Walmart. China's got more to lose than US, like someone said they have to eat, they need our energy products. I for one can do without the Cheap Chinese Crap (including radios that are not even type accepted) that arrives here and breaks or fails way before it's time. Stolen intellectual property is another big one, my agency's servers get hit with thousands of attempts a DAY trying to get in. They use Hacker methods to try and entice people with malware loaded pictures,software and the like.
    I will be happy to pay a little extra (10-15%) when some manufacturers finally start making electronic products here again.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by US RADIOMAN View Post
    Trump just wants products consumed in the US made in the US. What's so hard about that,
    He better ban Apple and Samsung then

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Not to mention just about every car on the road, and "oh no!!!!!" most of their guns!!!!!!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Simple, Xi just calls a total ban on rare earth exports to the USA.
    Trump's great country then can't deliver F-35s to us any more, can't build any guided missiles, no laser target systems, no smart phones...

Thanks

Quote'

They might be next.

Quote"
    Not to mention just about every car on the road,and guns.

BS most cars in America are American made or from parts from some other countries, but still MANUFACTURED here not China. Service parts yea, a main compliant of mine.I recently told my Ford Service Department that why should I buy parts from them when they are made from China and I could get them else where for less. I ended up going to an American supplier.
    Some guns are from overseas, but I am not aware of ANY made in Chine and sold here.

Quote"
    Simple, Xi just calls a total ban on rare earth exports to the USA.

There are ALWAYS alternate sources.

Quote"
    Trump's great country then can't deliver F-35s to us any more, can't build any guided missiles, no laser target systems, no smart phones.

Well then maybe you guys down under will have to start making your own products instead of paying the Chinese, you guys are a lot lot closer than we are so you will feel any trouble long before we do.

China is already cultivating Africa as a source of raw material, kinda like the British did 200 years ago and more. China has already said they want to replace America as the standard in financial markets. So beware

How would you like your rice Comrad.

Premium Member
    Thanks

If there is one thing China is known for, its "Playing the Long Game".....

You are correct US RADIOMAN, they have really taken advantage of many African countries.
    And between China and India, the USA is but a piss in a bucket as far as market size and potential growth, jeez Indonesia is almost as big as the USA now in population.

China started playing the "Long Game" years ago and i'd say its too late to stop now.
    Trump might be trying to slow down that rate (or gain back some control) or at least extract as much money out of them as he can, but the red mist has already won.

Huawei have taken to the US court system now

I think China holds all the cards though.... Lets remember who manufactures the iPhone, iPad and 50% of the worlds consumer electronics
    A single order from the Chinese Government to halt Apple products going to America would grab some attention.

Meanwhile, the USA continues its "Trial by Legislation", something which is prohibited in the US constitution

Even with Facebook and its data mining, facts/evidence was presented and the CEO was questioned.

Where is the proof this time?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-05-19 at 12:02 PM.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast