Thread: Foxtel - Huge Debts, Masses are Leaving

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Foxtel - Huge Debts, Masses are Leaving

Where is the future of Foxtel going?

They are carrying huge debts, massive bail out packages about to mature.
    Streaming has arrived
    Netflix has arrived

The Sports that hold Foxtel up are now looking at leaving..... What is left?

100,000 people have left Foxtel in the first quarter of 2019.

No wonder people cant get a fast Telstra NBN, where is the money going?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-05-19 at 08:03 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

carjackma (31-05-19),DB44 (01-06-19),mkhannah (31-05-19),Mr 672A (01-06-19)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I've survived not having them since I cancelled a few months back. Actually I watch less crap and I mean crap. The movie channels were second rate.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

Greed killed it. We no longer have 5 tv channels, every second house has a streaming box and every second person has a family member or mate who can stream telstra afl/optus epl/vpn/foxtel go etc etc.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

carjackma (31-05-19),LeroyPatrol (31-05-19),Mr 672A (01-06-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Without a doubt, i'd use Foxtel for MotoGP, F1 and Supercars and that is it
    My TV viewing would now be;

70% YouTube
    10% Netflix
    10% Foxtel
    10% FTA

I can and have replaced my Motorsports need for Foxtel with other services over the passed 5 years.

Then you Google Foxtels current debts!!!
    With so many people leaving, so is the audience for these Sporting events/promotors.... How long will they put up with the declining numbers?

Even F1 has moved to YouTube (Highlights.... But it wont be long)

So many shows i used to watch on TV or DVD have now all gone to YouTube
    You can watch it anytime you want, on any device at any location
    You can directly communicate with the show or its hosts, ask questions, blah blah

And from what i have seen, those still contracted to FTA or Pay and losing out big time, as they are not allowed to present content on free platforms like YouTube a lot of the time.

If you didn't like AFL, NRL or Motorsports, there is no point even having Foxtel

Some interesting news reports:

Last edited by ol' boy; 31-05-19 at 09:26 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (01-06-19),LeroyPatrol (31-05-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkhannah View Post
    Greed killed it.
    I hate Foxtel mainly on what they were responsible for the demise Galaxy also the tricks they used to remove TARBS after TARBS decide to have a 15 Channel English Package manly from the US. Also Look how much you pay for Foxsmell compare what you get in the USA for half the Price. I think Mick Boulos will be thinking about this ans will be happy when foxsmell dies a slow death.

Premium Member
    Thanks

This article paints the picture nicely

News Corp confirmed that Foxtel – of which it owns 65 per cent, with Telstra holding the remaining 35 per cent – lost $417 million before taxes in 2018.

The disclosure came just days after News Corp's quarterly earnings report showed Foxtel shed about 100,000 subscribers from its traditional product in the first three months of this year

And it came shortly after The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age reported that News Corp was forced to lend Foxtel $300 million from its own balance sheet to cover debts maturing in April.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 01-06-19 at 11:34 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    100,000 people have left Foxtel in the first quarter of 2019.
    Wonder if they factored in numbers cancelling sat services and going with Kayo streaming for sports only.
    Apart from game of thrones which has finished, we all know sports keeps the service alive.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    The Sports that hold Foxtel up are now looking at leaving..... What is left?
    If AFL, NRL and Cricket Australia weren't so greedy for money, Foxtel would not have had majority of broadcasting rights.
    But if sports start leaving Foxtel, I hope FTA coverage increases.

With no byes per round, FTA have 2-3 games of 8 for NRL, and 3-4 games of 9 for AFL
    Cricket 2018/19 season. Did that exist? I must have passed out for 3mths, as I hardly seen any cricket on FTA.

Time will tell.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    Wonder if they factored in numbers cancelling sat services and going with Kayo streaming for sports only.
    Apart from game of thrones which has finished, we all know sports keeps the service alive.
    Yes, they did mention that
    I wonder if that could be the final strategy, move Foxtel to streaming completely, No Sat, No Cable
    So many hurdles to overcome if they did. 4K streaming.... Leroy is rooted
    Can't really see it becoming a streaming service only though
    Last edited by ol' boy; 01-06-19 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks

To be fair, it wasn't Foxtel who paid the BIG bucks for sport - it was the free to air channels. IIRC Foxtel paid about a third of what the free to airs paid. And the FTA's left most of the games to Foxtel so they could cherry pick those they thought would get the biggest audience numbers. Then they shot themselves in the foot by broadcasting in SD while Fox had them in HD. Also, they picked their games at the start of the season, and gambled that their chosen teams would be going well all through the season.

Fox is finally getting to grips with sport with Kayo, and they seem to be testing the waters by looking at separate pricing subscriptions for different sports. I wonder how much the Foxtel Now debacle cost them. They are still insisting that their restrictive pricing and packaging are not the major reasons for losing customers, and are in so much trouble with debt repayments, that they can't make major changes as it would not be possible to increase customer numbers quickly enough to overcome any major revenue shortfall.

The current agreements with the major sporting bodies have a few years to run, and the anti-siphoning laws are still in place. This could all change before they start the next round. It would be interesting to see one of the big streaming services getting in on the act.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I think I have a Poxtell Now account with my Hellstra TV box, last time I looked, there wasn't much to watch. Might have another look one day.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

DB44 (01-06-19)