Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian Analog TV on air until 2013

Thanks

Default Australian Analog TV on air until 2013

This information is courtisty of AustralianIT

THE federal Government has moved to cement 2013 as the new date for the switch-off of Australia's analog TV signals in a bill introduced to parliament yesterday.

The Howard government set 2009 as the original end date for analog TV signals, but that had to be altered when it became clear people were not ready.

About 40 per cent of Australian homes now have free-to-air digital TV, meaning the Government must still convince people in about 4.2 million homes to upgrade their TV sets to digital.

The bill also gives the Government the option of varying switch-off dates in some markets by three to six months if problems emerge.

"These dates are not appropriate for a smooth transition to digital-only television," Communications Minister Stephen Conroy said.

The law would also give the minister powers to determine which local market areas could be switched over, the dates for the switchover, and a window period of up to six months for it to take place.

"This will mean that, if appropriate, some areas could switch off analog earlier than currently permitted,'' he said.

Debate on the Broadcasting Legislation Amendment (Digital Television Switch-over) Bill 2008 was adjourned.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Well that may be all well and good if the amendment is passed in its proposed form, and not subjected to further meddling by either current or future governments once it has been assented to.

Careful reading seems to reveal an out in that the turnoff can be delayed in a local market or licence area, at the minister's discretion and under certain technical or engineering difficulties, for more than 3 months. This would imply that 31 December 2013 may not be the day of final analogue shutdown in all areas.

If you are interested, have a look at the proposed legislation here:

Thanks

It is pretty funny that some so called HD channels in western victoria are not.
    I can get some of them on my SD mediastar, they even have the HD logo sometimes.
    We are being scammed
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

It' all took complicated for some people and that's why they haven't upgraded their tv's or bought a STB. Throw into the mix all the resolutions of HD and SD and people just throw their arms up and walk out the stores.
    There should of been one std and that being HD and that's it. When all the stations finally begin multicasting on the SD and HD channels there's going to be people that will need to again buy a HD TV or STB becasue they only receive SD. As a result a lot of unhappy campers.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

This isn't actually the second date change... its more like the 3rd or 4th time they have changed it.

It's turning into a joke!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Can you wonder why no one is clamouring for digital when untill recently there were no program guides for the extra channels.LeroyPatrol has hit on another major problem relating to customer confusion and adding to that there are a huge number of CRT's out there working away and most people think putting on a digital box is just a waste of money except for the extra channels but theres bugger all on them anyway.I still wonder just how interested the TV channels are in changing over by their seemingly lacklustre promotion of digital and getting signal problem areas sorted out.

Thanks

Half the program guides on air are wrong anyway.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

It's all a mess...have been sitting here with digital for nearly 2 years, and the regional stations show none of the the alternatestuff that is on the city HD.We have an endless HD demo loop on southern cross 10, 7 digital often no signal when HD shows unavailable. It should be the the govt pushing the technology by enforcing each broadcaster to implement the full suite of channels on upgrade, rather than providing a Mickey Mouse mix like we have now.

Thanks

I would have thought turning off the analouge signals would have been a good way to get the other 60% of australians to make the move

I've noticed theres alot on the HD channels, even during prime time that isn't even broadcast in 5.1. Most of the sports and other live events are also terribly pixelated.

Personally I'd like to see some decent over the air EPG info, maybe even an xml feed for PVR's.

Thanks

Some country folk are going to get nothing

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

here in kalgoorlie, we only have abc and sbs via digital........

bit of a joke really, considering the money this places brings in to the australian economy, and the amount of plasma/lcd screens here...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozisat View Post
    Some country folk are going to get nothing
    Hmmm...Yes very good point...if the digi signal doesn't get to you, and analogue turned off....your really rs...Aurora needs a remake and restyled into a freeview system for the likes of those affected....can't see it happening though....one rule for the city, another for the bush.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    Hmmm...Yes very good point...if the digi signal doesn't get to you, and analogue turned off....your really rs...Aurora needs a remake and restyled into a freeview system for the likes of those affected....can't see it happening though....one rule for the city, another for the bush.
    A number of you have this 100% correct. Digital does not have the same penetration or reliability (as analogue) in marginal areas.

Yes I think one viable solution is a revamp of Aurora along the lines of Freeview ..... to satisfy the basic needs of regional areas.

So ..... please get of your butts and start bothering the appropriate Pollies with clear and logical arguments in favour of a radical re-think.

Thanks

All the bloody FTA channels should be on a satellite/s unencrypted.
    All so simple.
    Can't see the problem

Banned
    Thanks

As Farmsky suggested, here is a copy of the letter I sent to my local member...

RE RURAL TELEVISION RECEPTION

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxx ,

I am a constituent of yours, and as my address notes, I live in xxxxx NSW 24xx.

I am unsure if you are aware, but both analogue and digital television in the xxxxx Valley area is poorly received, and unwatchable to many viewers.

I like others, was forced at a large expense, to install my personal satellite receivers and dishes, and subscribe to Aurora TV, a regional satellite service provided to rural Australians ( provided by Federal Government funding) whom have no other alternative to watch television.

On Aurora TV, I receive ABC, SBS, Imparja and Central 7, as I am based in the Eastern states of Australia. Those viewers in Western Australia receive ABC, SBS, WIN and GWN. Viewers in different states cannot access the other states services.

For your information, a link to this service is here……

Recently, ImparjaTV (now a channel 9 affiliate) has announced a change to the service conditions, please see this link

As an authorized subscriber for over 13 years, I am now at the mercy of having this signal revoked. Please see section 3, which I quote…

“Imparja is the commercial TV service for remote Central and Eastern Australia. It is unlawful for us to provide a broadcast service outside our licence area and particularly into any capital city and any part of WA. To this end Imparja seeks precise address information from all applicants for reception of its satellite service, and will only activate smartcards for viewers who are within its licence area.

I use an approved smartcard to receive their service, however the Aurora service is advising that new version smartcards are about to be issued, replacing the old version smartcards. When I receive this card, I will be required to contact each broadcaster to have this new smartcard activated. Unfortunately, Imparja TV will now refuse to renew my subscription (free for regional viewers) as I am technically out of their licensed viewing area. I was originally authorized for viewing, as my site has been designated as “blackspot”, and under previous governmental rulings, I was able to access their signals, as local TV reception is too poor to use. It is likely that Central 7 could also invoke this ruling, and I will lose all commercial television.

I also pay a monthly subscription to Austar PayTV, but they do not carry the fta commercial TV rebroadcasts on their channels, unlike Foxtel, whom do provide a full rebroadcast of all the fta commercial channels on their PayTV platform. Again, as there is a duopoly arrangement between Foxtel and Austar, I cannot change to Foxtel for the channels, as they have barred this arrangement. I am stuck with Austar, on a limited service, with no flexibility in choice of required provider. I have written to the ACCC about this monopoly, but all to no avail.

Can you please advise what alternative is now available to regional Australians like me, who are now going to be refused the right to watch commercial television, as all other Australians can do?

It appears plainly evident, that rural Australians are not fairly catered for by either the digital terrestrial broadcasters, the government provided Aurora service, or the approved paytv providers, in that there is no flexibility to go to any other service to receive that same television service that all other Australians take for granted.

Perhaps Australia needs to model their regional providers with the Freeview services available to viewers in New Zealand, in that all channels are available fta either via terrestrial services, or via fta satellite reception?

Any assistance that you can provide in ensuring my right to receive a fair and reasonable television reception would be appreciated.

Thank you

xxxxxxxxx

Thanks

Thanks viewer

Thanks

Don't forget that digital is often broadcast at lower power levels compared to the analogue transmissions.
    Its done to protect the adjacent analogue channel (s).
    And yeah a Satellite Freeview would be great. It could be built on Optus D1 adding to the existing ABC and SBS digital services.

Thanks

Digital signals are usually broadcast at a power level one quarter of analogue as this is the equivalent power level of an analogue transmission.

There are situations where because of co-channel or adjacent channel interference, the digital level is even lower, as dryfry points out.

I also believe there are a couple of digital transmitter sites in Australia where the digital power is more than half the equivalent analogue power, one is in Tasmania somewhere but I can't recall where the other one is.

A lot of people are under the mistaken belief that when the analogue tx's are turned off, the digital power will be increased. This would only occur if the power is already reduced under a licence condition that would no longer exist once the analogue transmissions cease.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Viewer, I have been arguing your approach for years,even to suggesting to pay a fee to see FTA via satelitte but my understanding is that the regional commecial channels argue they would lose their advertising from their local area if say the 3 FTA channels originated in a capitol city with that advertising but then C7 has adds for Mt Isa and Alice Springs for specials at Coles which I aint driving a 1000 ks to save 4 cents on a loaf of bread so I dont see that as a valid aguement.
    But it could be done as they are doing now with Aurora by being classed as a 'Blackspot' area.
    But I fully support your letter and I intend to fill in the blanks and send it on to my local federal member.
    I dont know where the border is for other states but in NSW, nothing exists west of Parramatta either state or federal.
    My Federal electorate area didnt exist untill the last election so I fronted the prospective member and told him what I could but I think he had bigger fish to fry, I dont even know where his electorate office is or if he has a website.

Thanks

Default analogue tv being switched off

Hi, I need to ask, does this also mean we can't use set top boxes with analogue tvs anymore? Please please let me know asap. Cheers

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast