Thread: FOXTEL satellite dish and FTA Korean TV

Thanks

Question FOXTEL satellite dish and FTA Korean TV

Hi All,

I知 seeking some advice with setting up satellite tv.
    We moved into our new home and there is already an existing Foxtel dish on the roof and cabling going into the lounge room. The dish is approximately 65cm in diameter. EDIT: Forgot to add that we are North of Brisbane in Moreton Bay region.

My wife is Korean and asked whether we could get some of the free to air channels from Korea, (mainly Ariang News). So being a good husband I知 wanting to set this up for her.
    So I naturally need some help and have some questions if anyone would be so kind to help me.

1. Is the 65cm (approx) dish big enough to receive a good signal from the Korean satellite.
    2. What kind of LNB do I need on the end? I have little understanding is it the KU band that I need?
    3: Do I need a particular decoder. I値l happy to spend some extra money to get something that will be quality and last, main thing it has to be compatible to get the Korean signal.

Thank You for your time and I appreciate any help you can provide.

Many Thanks
    -Pogo
    Last edited by Pogostilts; 07-06-19 at 08:45 AM.

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

go to lyngsat and see what available

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pogostilts View Post
    Hi All,

I知 seeking some advice with setting up satellite tv.
    We moved into our new home and there is already an existing Foxtel dish on the roof and cabling going into the lounge room. The dish is approximately 65cm in diameter. EDIT: Forgot to add that we are North of Brisbane in Moreton Bay region.

My wife is Korean and asked whether we could get some of the free to air channels from Korea, (mainly Ariang News). So being a good husband I知 wanting to set this up for her.
    So I naturally need some help and have some questions if anyone would be so kind to help me.

1. Is the 65cm (approx) dish big enough to receive a good signal from the Korean satellite.
    2. What kind of LNB do I need on the end? I have little understanding is it the KU band that I need?
    3: Do I need a particular decoder. I値l happy to spend some extra money to get something that will be quality and last, main thing it has to be compatible to get the Korean signal.

Thank You for your time and I appreciate any help you can provide.

Many Thanks
    -Pogo
    1/ Foxtel 65 cm dish is useless
    2/ CBand not KU
    3/ Any cheap Digital decoder will do but still let us know what you are buying.

I live not far from you and I get all the Korean channels and have been getting them for many,many years on Intelsat 19 CBand @ 166 Deg East but you need at least a cheap 2.3M prime focus dish CBAND Dish. I use a 1.8 Offset Prodelin High quality dish and it works ok but you can buy 4 x 2.3M prime focus dishes for the price of one Prodelin 1.8.You can get on Intelsat 19 CBand YTN and Arirang + O Channels and Running FTA
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 07-06-19 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks

Hi Mr 672A,

Thank You for that information. We'll need to delay getting a new dish until after some of our planned roof work is done (it's not in a good condition currently). And after I convince my spouse the money and effort will be worth it!

I think right now, we'd like make use of the existing dish.

Can you advise what I will need to do to watch some of the FTA channels (ABC, SBS etc) through the existing Foxtel dish?

1. I take it we might need to adjust where it is pointing, I've read its one of the Optus satellites?
    2. Will the default Foxtel LNB/Band be suitable to get the right FTA signal (CBand)?
    3. Can you reccommend a digital decoder that will get FTA channels and be suitable for Korean Tv in the future?
    4. Can I get all the FTA channels from the existing dish? I've read you need to apply for VAST to get them all.

Thank You,

-Pogo

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

If you have a decent internet connection iptv might be easier.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Hi Mr 672A,

Thank You for that information. We'll need to delay getting a new dish until after some of our planned roof work is done (it's not in a good condition currently). And after I convince my spouse the money and effort will be worth it!

Can you advise what I will need to do to watch some of the FTA channels (ABC, SBS etc) through the existing Foxtel dish?

1. I take it we might need to adjust where it is pointing, I've read its one of the Optus satellites?
    2. Will the default Foxtel LNB/Band be suitable to get the right FTA signal (CBand)?
    3. Can you reccommend a digital decoder that will get FTA channels and be suitable for Korean Tv in the future?
    4. Can I get all the FTA channels from the existing dish? I've read you need to apply for VAST to get them all.

Thank You,

-Pogo
    I hope you not getting you roof restored?

1/ Dish too small to get other satellites on KU
    2/ NO Foxtel is KU, CBand is another type of LNB
    3/ A box like this will do as it does BISS and Power Vu....
    4/ No, forget the 65 CM dish. Dont know about vast but you wont get any as you live in the Metro area

Thanks

Hi,
    Probably looking at getting the top cleaned and cracks sealed and repairing it痴 either that or a brand new roof and gutters.

So basically the foxtel dish is only good for getting foxtel and nothing else?

Thank You

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

$2 for a 3 day test.....

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

gulliver (08-06-19)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Thank You,

-Pogo
    For FTA channels, best if you have terrestrial reception, way cheaper. If not, I have answered your points below.

1: no adjustment; should already be on C1 & D3.
    2: Yes for Ku band FTA via VAST.
    3: No, the VAST certified boxes only do VAST, (Viewer Access Satellite Television), caveat being that if you can get a VAST CAM & card, then the box you choose may do both. That's beyond my level of help.
    4: Yes, if you are in a blackspot area, you can apply for VAST & use the existing dish. If you are not in a certified blackspot area then a Travellers authorisation is possible.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Hi All, thank you for your replies.

I'm thinking now that iptv is probably easier for us at the moment, thank you hoe.

Thank you to Mr 672A for your comment about roof restoration, after browsing some forums I'm inclined to think I can just clean up the roof and do my own work instead of paying a ton of money for someone else to do not very much at all.

Finally thank you to Tiny, your reply has given enough information to go down the VAST route .... if I'm planning to travel around etc.

Kind Regards,

Pogo

• The Following User Says Thank You to Pogostilts For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (09-06-19)