Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driver fined for passenger using latop

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Driver fined for passenger using latop

Far out, this is new one for me....
    The Mrs is always using her phone in the passenger seat, i had no idea that was illegal
    I've also set up the Australian Open Tennis on the tablet for her while i was driving

Last edited by ol' boy; 07-06-19 at 03:45 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (08-06-19)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

So all the animated signage and advertising billboards are exempt ??

Whatever you do.......................dont look @ the signage

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

eaglem (08-06-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

One might ask what fills the windscreen and centre console of a modern police vehicle...
    But that's ok, they are "Special"
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (08-06-19),gulliver (07-06-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    One might ask what fills the windscreen and centre console of a modern police vehicle...
    But that's ok, they are "Special"

Err...what fills the centre dash of almost every modern car !

A every "glass cockpit" is video display unit !
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The difference is DVD/TV is entertainment and can be distracting to the driver.

It's the reason why in-dash DVD players are (meant to be) not active when driving.

Thanks

If you find the fine not justifiable then read the blog
    I had my jaw dropped few times while reading it. It is hard not to call some of the rules just a simple money grab.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

george65 (08-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Yep, this is correct. The display unit should not be visible to the driver.

NSW Road rule
    299 Television receivers and visual display units in vehicles
    (1) A driver must not drive a vehicle that has a television receiver or visual display unit in or on the vehicle operating while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, if any part of the image on the screen:
    (a) is visible to the driver from the normal driving position, or
    (b) is likely to distract another driver.
    Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
    Note. Park is defined in the Dictionary, and vehicle is defined in rule 15.
    (2) This rule does not apply to the driver if:
    (a) the driver is driving a bus and the visual display unit is, or displays, a destination sign or other bus sign, or
    (aa) * * * * *
    (b) the visual display unit is used as a driver’s aid and either:
    (i) is an integrated part of the vehicle design, or
    (ii) is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle while being used, or
    (ba) the visual display unit is a mobile data terminal fitted to a police vehicle or an emergency vehicle, or
    (c) the driver or vehicle is exempt from this rule under another law of this jurisdiction.
    Examples of driver’s aids.
    1 Closed-circuit television security cameras.
    2 Dispatch systems.
    3 Navigational or intelligent highway and vehicle system equipment.
    4 Rearview screens.
    5 Ticket-issuing machines.
    6 Vehicle monitoring devices.
    Note 1. Bus, emergency vehicle and police vehicle are defined in the Dictionary.
    Note 2. Rule 299 (2) (aa) of the Australian Road Rules has not been reproduced in these Rules. The paragraph has been left blank in order to preserve uniformity of numbering with the Australian Road Rules.
    Note 3. Subrule (2) (b) is not uniform with the corresponding paragraph in rule 299 of the Australian Road Rules. Different rules may apply in other Australian jurisdictions.
    (3) For the purposes of subrule (2) (b) (ii), a visual display unit is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle only if:
    (a) the mounting is commercially designed and manufactured for that purpose, and
    (b) the unit is secured in the mounting, and the mounting is affixed to the vehicle, in the manner intended by the manufacturer.
    Always read the specific law.
    So some of the strawman examples you guys have given. Nope - they're covered by the rule.
    I had wondered about car GPS units, but they are fixed to the vehicle, so that's how they are covered.

So there is usually something the media or the person who got the fine doesn't tell us. Like he was swerving across a lane which is why he was pulled over.
    Depending on the police officer who issued the fine, if it was me, I'd be going to traffic court and arguing the point in this road rule. It's an easy one if there is no other evidence.
    However, our friend might have already put his foot in it by going to the media, because the event is now fresh in the officers mind. He's going to remember why he was pulled over in the first place.

If he takes it to court, the officer is going to submit a simple report explaining why he was pulled over. If it looks in any way like distraction, he's toast.
    I'm betting he'll cut his losses and pay the fine.

I have been pulled over for a random breath test with the laptop on the passenger seat, open, turned on and clearly visible to me and the officer has not mentioned it.
    So why would I not get pinged? Well that's simple. The way I was using it is covered under the rule.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (09-06-19),lsemmens (07-06-19),Tiny (08-06-19)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

yep we have similar here is Tassie, I had to look it up about 10 years ago when I decided to fit a closed circuit camera & screen so I or my passenger could monitor the horses in the horse float when toeing.
    There are particular rules about placement as well.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

That is ludicrous.

Sent from my K10000 using Tapatalk

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Err...what fills the centre dash of almost every modern car !

A every "glass cockpit" is video display unit !
    Our car has a Sat Nav 8 inch screen + I have a heads up Display on the windscreen that displays Speed, Temp, Battery Voltage, water temp, RPM, and more also has engine fault codes. Now will the Greedy Cash Revenue Cops in NSW fine you for this. NO!!!
    Is all a Revenue Game for the Government and yet the pigs get off on it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

george65 (08-06-19)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    If you find the fine not justifiable then read the blog
    I had my jaw dropped few times while reading it. It is hard not to call some of the rules just a simple money grab.
    Wonder why droves are moving to Queensland because of the NAZI police in other states.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

The very fact the Driver CAN look at some displays, such as a GPS or a screen that shows the radio station or sets the temp or whatever and that is OK, but someone else that has a screen which the driver may be able to see is Illegal, shows to anyone that this is nothing to do with safety at all but rather money raising.
    Why would you need to look at a ticketing machine whilst driving and that be OK? What special training do bus drivers and taxi drivers receive to prevent them being distracted by all the displays they have in their vehicles?

If the guy had a laptop playing a movie on the passengers seat facing Him I'd say more than fair but when the passenger had it..... I'd suggest they should sit in the back but then I'm wondering if there is not some stupid law buried somewhere that is Illegal too unless you are a hire car or a taxi or of course the cops.
    I was -told-, not sure if it's true, that you can't remove the front passengers seat from a vehicle either like if you wanted the space in a camper van a single person was going to drive.

Sure, screen thing may be the law but that does not mean the law has any credibility in logic or that it is not just another money spinner.
    Everyone that asks the passenger to direct where they are going from their phone is committing an offence supposedly. Of course if the phone was in a holder and you set it then didn't physical touch it again, that's OK? Plenty of people do that.

If you look at the letter of the law, I think you are still supposed to have somone walking with a red flag in front of the car. Maybe they did away with that but I know there are a lot of archaic rules that are impossible not for every vehicle on the road to violate but they get over looked but other stupidity pulled out as an excuse of being " The law."

Premium Member
    Thanks

This is a Driver Aid.... I swear!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

william10 (08-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Our car has a Sat Nav 8 inch screen + I have a heads up Display on the windscreen that displays Speed, Temp, Battery Voltage, water temp, RPM, and more also has engine fault codes. Now will the Greedy Cash Revenue Cops in NSW fine you for this. NO!!!
    Surely you can tell the difference between instruments, notifications and displays that help you control and manage the car verses a tablet that is displaying a live tennis match?

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (09-06-19),bob_m_54 (09-06-19),enf (08-06-19),lsemmens (09-06-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Surely you can tell the difference between instruments, notifications and displays that help you control and manage the car verses a tablet that is displaying a live tennis match?
    I fully agree, but because you can, this law is a f*cking crock!

It's revenue raising by dumping everyone into the stupid bin because it's lazy and easy. LOTS of laws are written this way IMO.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (09-06-19),DB44 (08-06-19),george65 (08-06-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I can say for a fact that at no time could I read the screen of the laptop of my son who sat next to me for 3 hours while I was doing a longer trip.
    For a VDU to be visible to a driver it has to be angled towards to the driver, so a laptop on a passenger's lap that is directed 180˚ away from the head of the driver at a normal assumed driver position is clearly not visible for the driver.

Unless the cop can prove that the passenger had turned the screen towards the driver this fine should be appealed as it does not apply to 1a of that rule.

However that evidence is the point where this rule is so rubbery that it becomes an evil revenue grab.
    Cop said it was pointed towards the driver even if that might be hard to see but the hand of the law is always right unless YOU can prove that was not the case, which is here almost impossible.
    A cop on a bike can see into you car while driving and simply claim that. He does not need to have any other reason to stop you. You do not have to be driving erratic.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-06-19 at 12:26 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (09-06-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I think the issue isn't so much as a cash grab (which it is) but that the laws have yet to catch up with the technology. Remember, when many of these laws were enacted computers hadn't even gotten out of the building! Blast your pollies who have no idea what the hell many of these laws are designed for and tell them to fix it!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Wonder why droves are moving to Queensland because of the NAZI police in other states.
    You can probably rest assured knowing the educated idiots in Queensland will be working on it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    but that the laws have yet to catch up with the technology. Remember, when many of these laws were enacted computers hadn't even gotten out of the building!
    These video display laws were brought in because of technology. They were enacted about 20 years ago, when TV screens and DVD players started to become a ‘thing’ in cars.

These laws are there to stop idiots watching TV shows or movies on DVD’s while driving, and are just as relevant (if not more so) today in the age of mobile phones and tablets on which just about anything can be watched.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    These video display laws were brought in because of technology. They were enacted about 20 years ago, when TV screens and DVD players started to become a ‘thing’ in cars.

These laws are there to stop idiots watching TV shows or movies on DVD’s while driving, and are just as relevant (if not more so) today in the age of mobile phones and tablets on which just about anything can be watched.
    Yes, i think we've all known that
    I think what has caused people to be confused, is that includes anyone holding a VDU (phone, tablet, laptop) in the vehicle that possibly could be viewed by the driver

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast