Thread: HDMI over wi-fi?

Thanks

Default HDMI over wi-fi?

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't work, but I've been asked by a customer about sending a HDMI signal to a remote monitor. He's suggested that using HDMI-to-ethernet converters and wi-fi extenders would do the job.

His idea:
    laptop > HDMI-to-ethernet > wi-fi AP with extender > wi-fi receiver > ethernet-to-HDMI > monitor

My first idea:
    laptop > HDMI-to-ethernet > cat5 cable> ethernet-to-HDMI > monitor

The issue with using a cable is the distance - it could exceed 100m, and that would need an amplifier/repeater - which is problematic for other reasons.

My second idea is to have the source laptop running as a streaming server, connected via point-to-point wi-fi to another laptop (or Raspberry Pi) running VLC, then output to a monitor.

The whole situation is a bit more complicated, but this part is where I need advice.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,414 Times in 5,621 Posts

There are wireless HDMI senders/receivers available.

Thanks

"There are wireless HDMI senders/receivers available."

So I've discovered since yesterday!

It's for a dirt bike race track, to echo the lap timing and race results from the main building to remote monitors for the spectators to see. Maybe get some sponsor slides on the monitors, too - to earn a bit of money.

One monitor is approx 40-50 m from main building so it's stretching the abilities of the AV sender/receiver packages I've found so far, but the other is more like 100 m away.

I played around with VLC on one laptop in desktop capture mode as a streaming server, and VLC client on another laptop over the home wi-fi, and it worked, sort of. Trying to go higher than 15fps was pushing things, but that frame rate is OK for a race results table.