Thread: My Wifi Router Upgrade - June 2019

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default My Wifi Router Upgrade - June 2019

I have found some time and money that I would like to put into the local household Wifi/Router Network.

After some investigation and in the immediate sense I need to purchase a new Wifi Router (what I currently have is way way obsolete and also suspect of being intermittently faulty) the setup is also old tech, we now also need to have reliable throughput and connections for IPTV apps in particular.

I have done some quick googling around WhirlPool and note that a TP-Link Archer C3150 seems to have good reviews and the price is not too bad either (see below ebay URL, around $250

I am doing some more digging researching but will probably buy this TP-Link unit or something similar tomorrow. It will be great if anyone has feedback from experience for this any other similar unit

Many Thanks in advance

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I've had good experiences with TP-Link gear over the years. It is excellent value for money. However, for the last few years I've been using various ASUS routers. They come out of the box with ASUS-WRT installed, which has an excellent gui and provides some great features and excellent control. I now use Merlin firmware which is a third party modification of ASUS-WRT and provides even more flexibility.

It really depends on the features you need. If it can do what you want well out of the box why go to any further trouble?

Thanks

i am using an asus aswell and find its great with everything needed.

They are expensive compared to tplink but as mentioned it is all dependent on
    what you actually use it for and what features you are after.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Currently tempted by the Asus unit below, I like the 8 gigaport ports, reviews indicate that it has heaps of good GUI items and it performs well

OEM ASUS RT-AC88U AC3100 Dual Band Wireless Router WIFI MU-MIMO AIMESH

Not sure about the OEM reference, I will message the seller shortly anyway

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

probably this overseas version.....

most of the aftermarket and modded firmware should be based on the overseas model anyway....

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    probably this overseas version.....

most of the aftermarket and modded firmware should be based on the overseas model anyway....
    Thanks Hoe

I have had a very good deep read of descriptions and T&Cs and am comfortable of what I can see what I am getting so I have just ordered one.

Most definitely I expect to see improvement on what I have currently got, the 8 Gigaport ports will help my setup

When the unit arrives and we have soaked in some test time I will report back on performance experience
    Last edited by checkitout; 10-06-19 at 05:55 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I received the unit last week and am very happy with performance so far. Drop outs as well as family noise about internet connectivity issues has disappeared so far

One minor item I found is that the Router interface has customised Merlin Firmware with some locations clearly been left in Mandarin text wise, so not so good for me to understand settings in those areas, overall it is in English though.

I am having another problem with a specific IPTV service however this seems to be isolated to my ISP Provider as being the problem, very strange as I know if I go to 4G to run the service there are no issues. I am contemplating having a secondary/dual WAN connection (Something this new router allows for) to fall over to 4G to eliminate the intermittent glitch on the IPTV service.

All fine otherwise

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Try forwarding port 554, rtsp default.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    I've had good experiences with TP-Link gear over the years. It is excellent value for money. However, for the last few years I've been using various ASUS routers. They come out of the box with ASUS-WRT installed, which has an excellent gui and provides some great features and excellent control. I now use Merlin firmware which is a third party modification of ASUS-WRT and provides even more flexibility.

It really depends on the features you need. If it can do what you want well out of the box why go to any further trouble?
    This.

TP Link are great bang for buck, but their support is terrible. I watched it unfold last year on Whirlpool when an entire model was rendered useless.

On a side note, those with an Asus DSL-AC68U like me who ended up disappointed with its modem performance can now rejoice.

I am running a Telstra Smart Modem in dumb mode connected to the DSL-AC68U which is running just as a router. I put some bigger antennas on it, and have pretty good range. And now, a guy has brought out Merlin Firmware for it to boot !

I only put it on last night, but all seems great so far (except for me forgetting to backup somethings which I am now rectifying).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    This.

a guy has brought out Merlin Firmware for it to boot !

I only put it on last night, but all seems great so far (except for me forgetting to backup somethings which I am now rectifying).
    how did you flash the unit , i down loaded it but for the life of me
    cant get it to flash