I am requesting some advice that may help fix my problem.
Last week I had a cabler fix up a dodgy home network cabling plus add a extra line to prepare for the nbn. With the previous network bedroom 1 only connected. With the new network nothing connects. The setup is as follows – modem/router has the one cable going to the switch (which is has no configuration required and does auto negotiation) and then a cable using any of the ports to the wall plate for the required location.
All the corresponding sockets of the new cabling on each end of their respective locations have had the continuity checked by a cable tester and are all straight through wired, not crossed over.
I figured the easiest test was by using a laptop for repeatability. I have 6 patch cables that all tested ok by a cable tester and are either T568A or B. I also tested them by connecting each one into the switch and the laptop one at a time, and everything worked as expected. But when I connect any of the cables to the wall plate with the new cabling and the laptop connected at the other end of any the sockets there is no connection.
I don’t know if I am missing anything, but it seems a little odd. I haven’t contacted the cabler yet, because I am expecting him to say that his work is ok and I am doing something wrong. Am I doing something wrong?