Thread: Bluetooth broken

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Bluetooth broken

Of course Linux never has these issues
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

Meh. I already have that update & my old Logitech BT keyboard & mouse are still working as normal.
    It probably only effects dodgy BT equipment.

Anyway here is the Microsoft full detail on the event.

Some Bluetooth devices may fail to pair or connect after applying June 11, 2019 or later updates

Koskee seuraavia: Windows 10, version 1903Windows 10, version 1809Windows Server 2019, all versions

Summary

You may experience issues pairing, connecting or using certain Bluetooth devices after installing security updates released June 11, 2019. These security updates address a security vulnerability by intentionally preventing connections from Windows to unsecure Bluetooth devices. Any device using well-known keys to encrypt connections may be affected, including certain security fobs.
    For more information, see .

Next steps

If you experience issues pairing, connecting or using Bluetooth devices after installing any of the affected security updates, please contact the manufacturer of your Bluetooth device to determine if a device update exits.
    Advanced users can verify if their device is affected by checking Event Log for the following event:
    Event Log System
    Event Source BTHUSB or BTHMINI
    Event ID 22
    Name BTHPORT_DEBUG_LINK_KEY_NOT_ALLOWED
    Level Error
    Event Message Text Your Bluetooth device attempted to establish a debug connection. The Windows Bluetooth stack does not allow debug connection while it is not in the debug mode.

Affected updates

The following latest cumulative update (LCU) and Monthly Rollups released on June 11, 2019 or later for the affected platforms will experience the new behavior:

• or later LCU for Windows 10, version 1903.
    • or later LCU for Windows 10, version 1809 and Windows Server 2019.
    • or later LCU for Windows 10, version 1803.
    • or later LCU for Windows 10, version 1709.
    • or later LCU for Windows 10, version 1703.
    • or later LCU for Windows 10, version 1607 and Windows Server 2016.
    • or later LCU for Windows 10, version 1507.
    • or later Monthly Rollup for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2.
    • or later Monthly Rollup for Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard.

The following Security Only updates are also affected:

• for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2.
    • for Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard.

Source:
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

tristen (14-06-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

So while half the world including M$ can see what people are doing on their computers it is important to throw away my $200 headphones because Windows thinks it may have attempted a debug connection

How about keeping this heavy paranoid security stuff for corporate users where the system admin only allows pairing with known devices.

That link refers to a vulnerability with later Android versions, it also says theoretically possible. Everybody should be more scared of what Zuckerberg and hackers can theoretically do with all your lives stored on his servers.

Anybody attempting to hack into your computer using BT also needs to be closer than 8 meters away. So a PC inside a home or even office is not at risk, you would see and likely know the hacker doing his thing, yet everybody gets now the head shave.

I am glad I ditched Windows for general use 14 years ago and am still in control of my computing with my paranoia all in the correct places.
    ...and when I am on the move I have always use a wired headset connection and Wifi is off. Never used free wifi services. Data on for short periods of time when I am actively using it.
    BT is a home luxury.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

DB44 (15-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

This is a very big problem with fundamental policy, and MS is not the only culprit. This shows absolute contempt for users. No one wants to have a device working fine one day and deliberately disabled the next. If they must do it, they should also provide users with the option of taking the risk and continuing to use the offending device. Telling users to contact a Vendor who may well have no interest in updating a driver for a probably outdated device but would love to sell them a new one is not exactly best practice.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (16-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default Bluetooth broken

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    [lOf course Linux never has these issues
    Only because Linux hasn’t yet moved on from infra-red?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Only because Linux hasn’t yet moved on from infra-red?
    Bluetooth only uses 2.4GHz while infra-red covers 0.3-430THz !

Linux as usual many orders of magnitude ahead
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (17-06-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Bluetooth only uses 2.4GHz while infra-red covers 0.3-430THz !

Linux as usual many orders of magnitude ahead

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...