Thread: BK KNG series radio information FAQ for those looking to acquire one of these radios

Thanks

Default BK KNG series radio information FAQ for those looking to acquire one of these radios

Ok, so I have been getting a lot of requests for information the KNG series radios from BK, so I have decided to draw up a little FAQ post to answer some peoples questions.

For those that dont already know, the KNG series radio is one of the most highly sought after radios to actively monitor trunked radio systems WITHOUT a system key and WITHOUT actively affiliating with the system. Please keep in mind that the "S" Series radio (ie: KNG-P150S, P400S, P500S) is a conventional only radio, it WILL NOT do trunking of any sort, you MUST have the original model of the KNG to add the trunking option. The "S" series radio was discontinued in 2018, you will still see the occasional model floating around on Ebay or secondary sites.

The KNG Series radios come STANDARD with Analog and P25 digital operation activated, they do not need to be ordered. In addition to this, ALL KNG radios have field programming (keypad programming) enabled, it just needs to be turned on by the end user in the programming software. This is a standard setting with most BK/RELM radios due to wildland fire service requirements. Another added free option is ARC4/RC4 encryption (identical to Motorola ADP encryption), even if you do not have AES/DES enabled.

Production year is the FIRST two digits of the KNG series radios, and is the 9th and 10th digits of the KNG2 series. So a KNG radio with the serial # 100601XXXX was manufactured in 2010, a KNG2 Series radio with the serial # 10060101118XXXX was manufactured in 2018. The serial #'s and ESN's almost doubled in size between the two model variations.

Even though it is monochrome, the KNG original version radio is capable of having custom splash screens (although never publicized). When upgrading the radios firmware, youll need to edit the JPG file in the firmware update and adjust your pixel size on your image and It will allow you to upload a custom splash screen. I have not found a way to do this yet with the KNG2 series radios, but I have done it successfully with the KNG series portable and the KNG series mobile.

Programming software types:
    KNG-P (S) series radios program with KNG Editor
    KNG and KNG2 Series radios program with NeoVision (Pre 2017 models)
    KNG and KNG2 Series radios Program with RES (Radio Editing Software) Pre and Post 2017

NOTE! the software for the KNG series is backwards compatible, you can read/write a radio that has been upgraded with version 5.5.0E firmware and RES software with an older version of NeoVision (confirmed and tested with neovision 2.4.0, the last release before RES)

The KNG Series and KNG2 series radios come in 4 different bands, respective to the model number series
    KNG-P150 (VHF 136-174mhz)
    KNG-P400 (UHF 380-470mhz)
    KNG-P500 (UHF 450-520mhz)
    KNG-P800 (700/800mhz Public Safety Band)

The main difference between the KNG and the KNG2 Portable radios:
    Screen Color:
    KNG - Monochrome / KNG2 - Color
    Factory Options:
    KNG - No Bluetooth w/o factory modification / KNG2 - Bluetooth onboard, must be enabled by factory key (purchased by end user)
    KNG - No GPS w/o factory modification / KNG2 GPS onboard, must be enabled by factory key (purchased by end user)

Both styles of radios are capable of the following options:
    P25 9600 Baud trunking (purchase option)
    AES/DES Encryption
    Bluetooth
    GPS
    Conventional Voting Scan
    P25 Trunking Authentication
    P25 OTAP
    P25 OTAR
    P25 Trunking Phase II operation

These options are more or less added much like a Motorola Flash upgrade using a program called ROC (Radio Options Control), much like certain other manufacturers software, this is kind of like BK DEPOT and is in house only.

**SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND when purchasing a used or new old stock radio!!** KNG Series 1 Radios that are PRE 2014 production (ie: ESN or Serial # starts with 13 or before) DO NOT HAVE THE PHASE II Chip in them standard, NOR do they have the AES/DES Chips standard. This was a Factory only upgrade before 2014 and required new chips to be soldered onto the board. Any radio that is POST 2014 production will have the chips for AES/DES and Phase II operation already embedded on the board, they will just need to be activated with a factory key.
    This does not mean that your radio is not capable of Phase II or AES/DES, it just means that your radio has had the upgrade done at the factory. MOST radios that were Pre 2014 production and have Phase II or AES/DES enabled were either special order or a TSA issued radio. Most PRE 2014 radios are not capable of either option without sending it back to the factory to have the chips soldered in.

Now, I am going to hold off with the option modifications for the KNG and KNG2 series radio because it is still a currently produced radio and BK will not be discontinuing it anytime soon, however, if you are looking for option modifications for the KNG-S series radios, I am listing the table below to add/delete options to your radio.

The S series modifications are done with a program called WINHEXIII, all options are added/deleted through hex editing

There are 2 hex addresses that will need modification (if necessary) in order to add/delete options

The addresses are Location 1. 0x0000-00 and Location 2. 0x0060-0b.

Location 1 is strictly for the type and tier of the radio
    KNG-P150S Tier 2 (limited keypad, 4 button) Bit 04
    KNG-P150S Tier 3 (Full Keypad, 16 Button) Bit 00
    KNG-P400S Tier 2 (Limited Keypad, 4 Button) Bit 24
    KNG-P400S Tier 3 (Full Keypad, 16 Button) Bit 20

In order to change your radio from a tier 2 radio (limited keypad) to a full keypad version, you would simply find location 0x0000-00 and change the bit # to 00 instead of 04 for a VHF radio and follow the same instructions for a UHF model using the bit listed.

To change options:
    The option address is 0x0060-0b
    The most options you can have available on this platform is 3, it is all the hex editor will allow you to edit. You CAN NOT blow out this radio and add all of the available options.
    Options available:
    AES/DES Bit 00
    OTAR/AES/DES Bit c0,80
    AES/DES/TACTICAL OTAR Bit a0,e0
    AES/DES/TACTICAL OTAR/CONV VOTE SCAN Bit b0
    REPEATER Bit 08
    CONVENTIONAL VOTE SCAN Bit 10
    AES/DES/OTAR/CONV VOTE SCAN Bit 90

If I wanted to add AES/DES/OTAR/CONV vote scan to my radio, I would read it with the program, find address 0x0060 and column 0b and change the bit from 00 to 90 to add the 3 options.

For the KNG-M series mobile users:
    The KNG M series mobile is almost identical to the portable radio as far as programming and option upgrades except the mobile version comes with a color screen and is completely touchscreen. There were NO S series mobile radios made, only the standard KNG M series line.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to secretsquirrel For This Useful Post:

DaveBern (24-06-19),Foxmike121 (24-06-19),knightnblue (25-06-19),radiobup (23-06-19),tristen (25-06-19)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I know they can encode and decode two tone, mdc1200, does it dos mute the mdc in post mdc? On the KNG p2 or the bkr9000?

Is the RC4 like Motorola where it can be input by the programming software or is a KVL needed?
    Last edited by DaveBern; 24-06-19 at 03:38 AM.

Thanks

I will check today on the MDC DOS mute and let you know.

As far as the RC4 keyloading, you enter the keys in the software, I do not know if you can keyload them directly with a KVL, but I can check on that today as well. I have 5 KVL3000+ keyloaders and I know that one or two of them have hardware ADP in them. I would imagine that it is going to be similar to the Motorola radios where you can only load software ADP via computer, it has to be present in the UCM to load it with a KVL, but I will double check to verify.

Thanks

A note to add is you can convert a KNG tier 2 to tier 3 just by swapping the housing.