Thread: Transferring music files to an IPod

Thanks

Default Transferring music files to an IPod

I've tried a search but got nowhere. Surely it has been covered here before. Can anyone tell me how to transfer music from a USB memory stick or DVD to an I Pod?
    Thanks,
    Bob.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You may not be able to transfer directly from a USB stick, so you just connect both the iPod and USB stick to the computer and open both folders and copy and past the files from one folder to the other.

Being an Apple device, you may need to use iTunes.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    You may not be able to transfer directly from a USB stick, so you just connect both the iPod and USB stick to the computer and open both folders and copy and past the files from one folder to the other.

Being an Apple device, you may need to use iTunes.
    You have to use iTunes if you want too listen to it.
    You need first to have the iPod registered & synced with Apple & iTunes on an Apple device or PC (see below).
    Then you can use iTunes to import the music from the USB to the iTunes library.
    Next you re-sync the iPod with the library & it will be added to the iPod.

If you have synced the iPod with a library on an Apple device when new to get your original music on it; then it takes some big steps to use a Win PC to sync with your library. Let's not go there yet, I did it for friend & took a while to figure it out.
    Apples way of making it hard.
    Last edited by Tiny; 26-06-19 at 07:13 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks Tiny & MTV. Sounds difficult to do with my Windows Lap Top. My wife has a new Ipad. Can it be done using an I pad?

Thanks

Thanks Tiny & MTV. Sounds difficult to do with my Windows Lap Top. My wife has a new Ipad. Can it be done using an I pad? And thank you Kclar. I only just saw your posted link.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

IIRC. I just plugged SWMBO's IPAD into my Linux lappie and copied the stuff I wanted to over. No iTunes in Linux land. Bits of fruit work for her, but they are not my favourite toy.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    You have to use iTunes if you want too listen to it.
    Nobody has to do anything except going to the toilet and die.
    The only time I chose to use this nasty iTunes was to jailbreak iOS devices.

I have always used Ifunbox:

You can access parts of the iOS filesystem, import/export music/videos/photos with it, even without jailbreak and of course copy to and from USB on the host PC.

I strongly recommend to install VLC which is on the Apple Store for free, even for older iOS versions still available, unlike most of the Apple stuff.
    Then you plug in the iOS device, open Ifunbox and copy your music and videos in the VLC folder.
    You will find it under App File Sharing in Ifunbox.

AFAIK you still can't read a USB stick directly connected(with an adaptor) to an iOS device without jailbreaking it.

... but there is now this:

Don't ask me more about that stick as I don't own one... yet.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-06-19 at 02:27 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ficus View Post
    Thanks Tiny & MTV. Sounds difficult to do with my Windows Lap Top. My wife has a new Ipad. Can it be done using an I pad? And thank you Kclar. I only just saw your posted link.
    Yes the iPad will do everything with an iPod, no problems, however it won't likely read the USB stick, more apple complications & limitations.
    What operating system was used when the iPod was first loaded with music? Give me that & I'll give you the path to easy transfer of new music to your iPod. I do this regularly for friends, just need to know the tools being used.
    Also what form is the music on the USB or DVD in? Music files (MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC, Ogg, etc) or a copy of a Music CD or a movie that you want the soundtrack from, or??

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Nobody has to do anything except going to the toilet and die.
    The only time I chose to use this nasty iTunes was to jailbreak iOS devices.

I have always used Ifunbox:

You can access parts of the iOS filesystem, import/export music/videos/photos with it, even without jailbreak and of course copy to and from USB on the host PC.

I strongly recommend to install VLC which is on the Apple Store for free, even for older iOS versions still available, unlike most of the Apple stuff.
    Then you plug in the iOS device, open Ifunbox and copy your music and videos in the VLC folder.
    You will find it under App File Sharing in Ifunbox.

AFAIK you still can't read a USB stick directly connected(with an adaptor) to an iOS device without jailbreaking it.

... but there is now this:

Don't ask me more about that stick as I don't own one... yet.
    But he wants to put the music from the USB on the iPod, iPods don't play music that has not been loaded with iTunes AFAIK. Mine won't & if there is a replica program to do such, why? iTunes is free.
    The OP in his first post didn't say the USB stick or DVD contained an iPod or iTunes library. He just said it has some music on it that he wants to transfer from a USB or DVD to an iPod! Guess he want's to so he can listen to it!
    Last edited by Tiny; 27-06-19 at 07:43 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

hey nomeat, just had a look at i-funbox. Looks Ok for importing music from iPod to PC or iPad, but will it put music on an iPod for use in the iPods iTunes library?
    Cheers, Tiny

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

hey nomeat, just had a look at i-funbox. Looks Ok for importing music from iPod to PC or iPad, but will it put music on an iPod for use in the iPods iTunes library?
    I don't know because I never used iTunes(for music) but I don't see why not.
    That is why I told him to use the much more versatile and practical VLC player, which also works great with karaoke files and radio streaming if you got the links and is the main use of my ancient iPad one that I picked up for $50 years ago, still rocking

Pretty much every player you find on the Apple store and elsewhere is better and more fun than that outdated iTunes.
    BTW Apple has announced iTunes dead, good riddance
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-06-19 at 06:34 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

I don't know because I never used iTunes(for music) but I don't see why not.
    That is why I told him to use the much more versatile and practical VLC player, which also works great with karaoke files and radio streaming if you got the links and is the main use of my ancient iPad one that I picked up for $50 years ago, still rocking

Pretty much every player you find on the Apple store and elsewhere is better and more fun than that outdated iTunes.
    BTW Apple has announced iTunes dead, good riddance
    You're not on the same page. He doesn't want to play music on his computer or iPad, he want's to play music on an iPod, just in case you don't know, that is a small Apple device that plays music called an iPod.

& after further testing with iFunbox, shows it needs iTunes installed on the PC to work. So not using iTunes is not an option.
    This is from my laptop that has no iTunes installed.

iTunes dead??

really?
    Last edited by Tiny; 28-06-19 at 08:09 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Yes, it's official: iTunes is indeed officially dead!

"Apple Replacing iTunes with Music App | Pitchfork

Jun 3, 2019 - As previously reported, Apple is phasing out iTunes. Today at Apple's 2019 Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose, senior vice president of Software Engineering Craig Federighi announced that the iTunes app will be discontinued in its current form. ... The iTunes Music store will still be available."

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Tiny (29-06-19)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Yes, it's official: iTunes is indeed officially dead!

"Apple Replacing iTunes with Music App | Pitchfork

Jun 3, 2019 - As previously reported, Apple is phasing out iTunes. Today at Apple's 2019 Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose, senior vice president of Software Engineering Craig Federighi announced that the iTunes app will be discontinued in its current form. ... The iTunes Music store will still be available."

Thanks for that.
    so they are changing it's name & dividing it into 3 Apps that will do the same job.

iTunes app will be discontinued in its current form. In its place will be three media streaming apps: Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, and Apple TV. In a statement, Apple clarifies that through the Music app, users will continue to “have access to their entire music library, whether they downloaded the songs, purchased them or ripped them from a CD.” The iTunes Music store will still be available.Federighi added there will no longer be a prompt to sync whenever an iPhone or iPod is plugged into a Mac. Instead, the sync options will be located in the sidebar in the Mac’s Finder app.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

You're not on the same page. He doesn't want to play music on his computer or iPad, he want's to play music on an iPod, just in case you don't know, that is a small Apple device that plays music called an iPod.
    OMG !!!

Yes an iPod can also have VLC installed on it, at least with iOS 5.5 because I am using it !
    True he didn't specify the ipod, maybe something ancient with hard drive or a Nano that does not run iOS then of course not.

I don't use Windows but if it needs a driver then it is asking for that, not opening and synching everything with iTunes. iTunes never opens on my Mac because I have disabled it.
    ...but here is another way even without iFunbox.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

OMG !!!

Yes an iPod can also have VLC installed on it, at least with iOS 5.5 because I am using it !
    True he didn't specify the ipod, maybe something ancient with hard drive or a Nano that does not run iOS then of course not.
    Ok so 'iPod touch' yes you can, however many small iPods & older iPods like mine (yes it has a 160Gb hard drive with 100Gb of music on it), do not have a touch screen & so it will not work.
    So we both made assumptions about the OP's iPod, as he didn't give us much detail. That's why we were on a different page.
    My apologies for my ignorance.
    Note to self; always ask for more detail when little of it is supplied.
    Cheers, Tiny