Thread: Regarding my new Garmin DriveSmart 65

Thanks

Default Regarding my new Garmin DriveSmart 65

Hi all ...

... I just bought one of these. My Nuvi 2597LMT bit the dust - something wrong with the rear connection point I think. Anyway, despite being on their 'chat' thing, Garmin were as useful as a poke in the eye. So I thought I'd ask the brains trust here

- In my garmin.com account, I can't add the new device. I connected via USB, my laptop sees it, I try to add it but nothing happens. All I see are my previous Garmins.
    - On my previous Garmin - the 2597 - I installed UK maps. How do I move/copy them to the new device?
    - How do I set the new device up to display text messages but not make or receive calls? I already have my phone paired with my car's bluetooth for that.
    - I plugged the new device into my phone's wall charger. How do I know when it's fully charged?

All input gratefully appreciated. Cheers!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Only just noticed your post now and see it hasn't been answered. Maybe you've since found the info you wanted elsewhere, but just in case here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by mikethepom View Post
    - In my garmin.com account, I can't add the new device. I connected via USB, my laptop sees it, I try to add it but nothing happens. All I see are my previous Garmins.
    Install to your computer and add the device. Look for the panel with the big plus symbol on GE's start-up screen.

- On my previous Garmin - the 2597 - I installed UK maps. How do I move/copy them to the new device?
    If it was HWID 1582, your nuvi 2597 could use unlocked 'out of [oem] area' maps. If it was C4 chip HWID 2077 then it could use them with patched firmware. Your new device runs a version of Linux which cannot be patched to use 'unofficial' maps at present. Buying the UK Garmin map is an option of course or maybe might work ok.

- How do I set the new device up to display text messages but not make or receive calls? I already have my phone paired with my car's bluetooth for that.
    You can disable just the calls but not the notification of text and other messages by clearing the check box next to "Handsfree Calling" but leaving "Smart Notifications" enabled. First pair your smartphone with the Garmin Drive app installed and then go to Settings>Wireless Networks and make the change on your device.

- I plugged the new device into my phone's wall charger. How do I know when it's fully charged?
    It will stop charging automatically when the battery is at full capacity however if you want to check progress you should be able to hold for about 5-6 secs where the battery symbol appears next to the clock as in other Garmin automotive devices. That will show a hidden inventory where you can check the battery.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Jma (25-07-19),Tiny (25-07-19),tristen (25-07-19)

Thanks

could you solve the connection of your gps with the garmin express

Premium Member

Thanks

Have you tried it with a different computer, or using a different web browser when connecting it to Garmin WebTools? I had an issue before using Safari I believe it was so I had to use Chrome. As far as your maps, I believe Garmin's silly policy of the maps you purchase are purchase on a single device and cannot be transferred. I know they're this way on the handheld units so I'd imagine the same goes for the automotive units.