Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new mobile phone fines in QLD OUCH $1000

Thanks

Default new mobile phone fines in QLD OUCH $1000

Dam new laws will be introduced by the end of the year in QLD for using a mobile while driving and
    if caught its gunna hurt the pocket $1000 yep a cool grand

Last edited by fandtm666; 30-06-19 at 11:33 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (01-07-19),Keith (01-07-19),ol' boy (30-06-19),OSIRUS (02-07-19)

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

If you do not use the phone, you do not pay the fine. Makes perfect sense to me.

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gordonwh40 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (30-06-19),eaglem (01-07-19),mkhannah (30-06-19),peteramjet (30-06-19),porkop (30-06-19),shred (30-06-19),VroomVroom (01-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordonwh40 View Post
    If you do not use the phone, you do not pay the fine. Makes perfect sense to me.
    i agree will be funny reading all the people crying about the harshness of the fine

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Well, it is a big problem

I just like the way we solve things in western society, just Tax it harder or make the Fine bigger

I guess as hardly anyone speeds anymore (compared to 30 years ago) they must fined the revenue from somewhere
    Just like smokes and alcohol, just keep hiking up the fee....

I wonder if cancelling their driver licence for 1 month was considered?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordonwh40 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    i agree will be funny reading all the people crying about the harshness of the fine
    Yeah, pretty shallow thinking and won't do anything but swell QLD's rapidly drying coffers.

In another thread I detailed how I was pulled over recently in QLD for using a phone. I was able, after some talking, to convince the cop that my phone was in the boot (it always is when traveling) and I had merely been leaning my head on my arm in slow stop/start traffic.

Great to lose $1000 for that to some quota short cop. Oh, thats right, they're ALL honest aren't they.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (01-07-19),fandtm666 (30-06-19),hinekadon (30-06-19),Keith (01-07-19),lsemmens (02-07-19),ol' boy (30-06-19),Uncle Fester (30-06-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Geez I keep my phone in my pocket, never thought of that.

I suppose the same fine will soon apply for anybody in the passenger seat 'seen' using a phone.
    You are guilty unless you can PROVE you are innocent but it is usually your word against the cop's, don't like the chances if they saw something different.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

i trow mine in the glovebox .If it rings it will show the number on my stereo
    and i can then take the call if i want with the bluetooth built in

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Well, it is a big problem

I just like the way we solve things in western society, just Tax it harder or make the Fine bigger
    I agree re the tax it harder but what alternatives do the cops/gubmint have ??

The amount of ppl texting/talking/playing with their phones whilst driving is out of control..........at least in my experience being runoff the road once (womyn driver) and most recently being hit by a new l/cruiser whilst walking across a well marked and raised crosswalk ...............the stupid cu***T had actually stopped and I saw her look down to her lap/legs whilst lowering her left arm and just as I got to the middle of the road she floored it and caught me with the huge side mirror, knocked me on my arse

She stopped............but then proceeded to vigorously abuse me in some realllly colourful language when I yelled @ her to pay attention to the road instead of her phone.

The tradie in a ute behind her was laughing his 'kin head off

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    I agree re the tax it harder but what alternatives do the cops/gubmint have ??
    Treat it like Drink Driving
    Park your car, you are now walking

First Offence 2 days
    Second Offence 1 Month
    Third Offence 3 Months

The message will get through
    Trouble is, there will be 1000's of cars on the side of the road until collected

Depends, are they serious about the road toll or serious about collecting money?

Losing your licence for 2 days wouldn't effect your job in most cases
    1 Month is questionable, but i'm sure most would be ok..... If by then you hadn't learned your lesson, then 3 months is what you'd deserve.

Watch what else is coming regarding Drunk and Drug driving too..... There is strong talk about interlocks in all new cars for Australia
    (Probably piss and wind, but its online)

Still $1000 for using a mobile is right up there, the only fine i know that is higher is being in possession of a radar detector
    Which has no effects of your driving ability......

Hmmmmm maybe i just answered the previous question.
    They are serious about collecting money!!!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 30-06-19 at 05:39 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (30-06-19),VroomVroom (01-07-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post

Hmmmmm maybe i just answered the previous question.
    They are serious about collecting money!!!
    Unfortunately I thing that is the case ...................its much easier than doing something properly .................'kin muppets

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I don't disagree with discouraging mobile phone use while driving one bit. Always seems odd though that in the states it is legal.

It does seem very opportunistic though that they put a huge fine on it instead of suspending licences though. Then again, I also think that the number of people that would drive thinking it was only a short suspension and their chances of getting caught would be minimal that those most likely to offend for this would also be the most likely to disregard the suspension penality.
    Getting out of a Monetary fine is a lot harder.

I also don't know why anyone has to risk a fine these days. Radios ith blutooth that allow hands free use are cheap and there are other devices as well. Spose it's more to do with keeping up with the life and death news of social Medial and what brainless Bimbo famous for nothing is screwing some other moron meathead who just got out of rehab.

Is one able to pay off fines these days or they a pay when due type deal?
    I can well imagine the appeals to the court for extentions or pleading hardship will go through the roof with this.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

enf (30-06-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hands free removes these issues really. Mine is inbuilt (hence the boot) but they are cheap anyway.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I see phones used everyday. I've had people wander, on coming, into my lane and serve back. I also have seen a number of single vehicle accidents in the country. Distracted drivers? Yup I reckon. Is a hands free better? Well the one in my van is so horrible to use you'd be better off using your phone while driving!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Looks like Window Tinting is about to boom in Queensland

I have a few friends with tinting that would not pass a RWC (Yet they allowed it), there is no chance you can see in the vehicle when along side.
    On the flip side, i see cops have been handing our tickets for not being to see in the vehicle, especially from scooter pigs

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I see phones used everyday. I've had people wander, on coming, into my lane and serve back. I also have seen a number of single vehicle accidents in the country. Distracted drivers? Yup I reckon. Is a hands free better? Well the one in my van is so horrible to use you'd be better off using your phone while driving!!
    The hands free that came with my ve2 ss was perfect. My VF ssv is the same. Perfect.

I can't believe that there isn't a good third party unit that doesn't fit the bill.

SS Dave should know.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,927 Times in 1,283 Posts

In my own car I use a alpine multi media system that's around 5 years old and never had any complaints regarding call quality(Current phone Pixel 2) although most of the brand name systems( Alpine,Pioneer,Sony,etc) work well as long as the external mike is not fitted on top of the steering column it should be near the top of the windscreen as for stand alone car kits the Parrot Mki9200 has all the bells and whistles but the cost is more than a entry level head unit.

We always fit the microphone if possible top and center windscreen if the cable is not easy to hide then on the A pillar.

For my bike I have a cheap eBay Bluetooth system costing $90 each and also I have had good reports as long as the visor is down at highway speeds.

The only real issue is when there is a adjustable mike gain and its set at max gain.

One issue with most hands free systems is after 5 plus years is the Bluetooth data has changed (the rotten fruit units always muck with the Bluetooth with each update) and then its up to the hands free company's to keep up but after 2 years they consider the system past the use-by date or have had no ability to be updated then when the phone has problems connecting to hands free people go back to picking up the phone while driving.

In my view it's not the lack of hands free it's the idiots checking Facebook,Instagram,Sending and reading texts,etc,etc.

I have seen drivers swerving lane to lane and had to take evasive action to avoid been run off the road as if there drunk trying to send texts seen one guy even run up the gutter at 80km in fount of me and he just kept going still looking at his phone as if nothing happened.

Using a Alcohol interlock while driving could also get you the fine as a phone call non hands free.

SS Dave
    Last edited by SS Dave; 01-07-19 at 12:07 AM.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

i wont have this problem , nobody calls me lol

seriously it is a big issue though , i was on the Mfuvked ( M5 ) in Sydney a few months back and in the lane next to me was a greasy Lebo who had the phone up to his ear the whole time we were crawling to the tunnel. A bit further along he had run up the arse of a new Audi. sucked in dickhead it was your fault for not following the rules. Glad it wasnt my car he ran into

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    i wont have this problem , nobody calls me lol

seriously it is a big issue though , i was on the Mfuvked ( M5 ) in Sydney a few months back and in the lane next to me was a greasy Lebo who had the phone up to his ear the whole time we were crawling to the tunnel. A bit further along he had run up the arse of a new Audi. sucked in dickhead it was your fault for not following the rules. Glad it wasnt my car he ran into
    Bahahaha
    Honestly though, i don't mind if they are making a call and looking out the windscreen
    Its those texting, posting and scrolling that are really dangerous

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (02-07-19)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

The thing about all fines is that YOU control whether or not you put YOURSELF in a position to get one.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (02-07-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I spend a lot of my day on the road and there would never be a single day where I am behind someone at traffic lights who doesn't go when they turn green due to their phone. Maybe it's just Perth but as I say it happens every single day without fail.
    The horn on my car will need replacing before long.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast