Thread: NBN Co floats its own 'Netflix tax'

Premium Member

Thanks

Default NBN Co floats its own 'Netflix tax'

Proposes extra charges for video streaming.

Hmm this could be fun NOT

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to o-I-c For This Useful Post:

pheggie (03-07-19),Tiny (02-07-19)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

How would they determine what is being accessed if suddenly everyone started using VPNs or TOR?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

This is fu&ked as the entire selling point in the beginning for the NBN to the taxpayer was as a multimedia platform.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

DB44 (02-07-19),Tiny (02-07-19)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    How would they determine what is being accessed if suddenly everyone started using VPNs or TOR?
    The same as if you weren't using a VPN or TOR.
    They still monitor your Data usage VPN or not, so they can certainly see what you are downloading/streaming if they want to.
    According to the article linked above they may use some kind of Packet identification layer technology?

How this might work
    iTnews has spent the past week exploring how NBN Co might be able to structure and implement its traffic differentiation proposal.
    Nominally, there appear to be four possible models.

• Replicating the construct NBN Co used for Sky Muster Plus to the fixed line footprint ie. introducing Layer 3 capabilities to 'meter' them differently
    • To set video up as a new Traffic Class on the NBN;
    • To use some form of deep packet inspection (DPI) technology, which could see NBN Co operate at up to Layer 7;
    • To have video traffic run over its own CVC, physically separating streaming traffic from other types of traffic. Two CVC components would make up a single retail service - a CVC for video and a CVC for 'everything else'.

Lindsay believed a new traffic class for video streaming traffic was the most likely option.
    “When you start saying ‘we're going to carry traffic at different priorities’, NBN Co have a mechanism for that already with the traffic classes,” he said.
    “I think the only way that you really could do it would be as a differentiated traffic class, which you would do by using DSCP [Differentiated Services Code Point] markings on the Ethernet frames that are being sent to NBN Co.
    “That all kind of makes sense. NBN Co do it today for differentiating between existing traffic classes, DHCP traffic and other administrative traffic.”
    Lindsay said running video traffic in its own CVC would be inefficient and likely to deter RSPs.
    Some RSPs have already had to because it is the way NBN Co differentiates between users on old and new pricing models.
    “If it's a separate CVC, unless it's being delivered over the same port and VLAN at the customer end, you've just created a support nightmare for the retail service provider and they'll never bother using it,” Lindsay said.
    “Hopefully, they would at least make it something where we're inside the same CVC, inside the same delivery path and headend to the consumer, where you can simply pay a premium for a certain amount of video bandwidth.
    “And then you would have to assume there would be some kind of policing of that inside NBN Co's network.”
    Aussie Broadband's managing director Phillip Britt indicated a separate traffic class could also create unwanted complexity.
    "Separate traffic classes would give the ability to pay different prices for different bandwidth services," he told iTnews.
    "For example, if one Netflix stream uses 2MB of data, three streams in the house would use 6MB. You would end up with differentiated charging for things like quality of streaming, number of screens etc."
    Britt added, "Our view is that this would discriminate against people according to their usage of the internet. It’s not how it works nearly everywhere else in the world, and we don’t believe it should happen here in Australia.
    "We have a new $51 billion dollar network that should deliver without CVC constraints – which gets back to the whole discussion about whether the CVC mechanism is the right one to be using."
    I think for the most part it may end up counterproductive anyway, as most high Data usage is streaming or downloading videos.
    For me; if they introduced this, I would just go to a cheap plan for data & then they would bill me for video & probably end up getting less money than they do now, as I currently have a larger than necessary data plan to cater for streaming video.

It also appears that the ISP's & RSP's are not happy about how it will effect the system.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (02-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

History is so soon forgotten. Remember the old Telecom monopoly. What on earth would possess our idiotic politicians to create another one.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

vnboost (03-07-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

What's an NBN?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

peteramjet (02-07-19),th37sk (03-07-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

I'm still on ADSL
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

This NBN joke keeps getting worse every day. Another Gubbermit clusterfk like selling off the power utilities and subsidising the Cheap renewable power that keeps getting more exy and less reliable. God help us when summer rolls round this season.

My father got a letter the other week making much fanfare that NBN was shortly going to be available and raving about the benifits.
    He was interested in it to get faster net access so we went into Telstra whom sent him the letter. No, they aren't going to run the fibre in his street only along the main road 3/4 of a Kilometre away.
    But there will be wireless NBN as well. OK, Tell us about that. Oh, you won't be able to get that either. You are 7Km from town and the tower will be too far away.
    So why the FK did you morons send a letter, presumably to everyone of the 30+ homes in the street, ( neighbours we spoke to got one) saying it would be available???
    No we wouldn't have done that! Really, then what the hell is this in my back pocket I fortunately brought with me?
    Ohhh, errr , ummm. Dads offhand comment of "Doesn't' anyone in your company know what is going on or what you are doing?" was priceless.

I saw a crew digging and looked like they were running cable at the end of my street today. I presume that is the NBN we were supposed to get and received letters for also well over a year ago. Actually, much closer to 2 years ago than 1.

I expect the Phone/ internet and or the water to go out any day now given the repeated incompetence of the whole system I have experienced first hand let alone read about. The mess these guys were making I could see as I waited for cars to turn out the street with them having blocked half the road did not inspire confidence.
    Shits me no end that the optus cable runs right past the place and would be faster and cheaper but can't be connected to because it is " Old technology" and the all wise polishers of seats with their arses where their brains are located, made any new connections impossible.

Someone needs to be hung by the balls not only for the creation of this debacle, but the ongoing and increasing nature of it.

Thanks

I think the big problem with using a VPN to avoid a “Netflix Tax” would be that your video packets would be de-prioritised, so your VPNed video would keep buffering and dropping out.

This is all about “net neutrality” (yet again). The NBN satellite and fixed wireless services are suffering from contention in peak times, as are some of the backbone links around the country. Rather than fix the problem and give Australia broadband infrastructure like the rest of the World already has, NBN Co want to start dividing the traffic up into different classes. Pay extra and your easily identified (not VPNed) video streaming data travels first class. If you use a VPN or don’t want to pay extra, the video packets are more likely to be dropped in transit or delayed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

So how will they tell what's streaming on Netflix over a VPN and what's coming from one of the thousands of other streaming sites?

Or is the term "Netflix Tax" an ego trip like "Police Scanner"?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    So how will they tell what's streaming on Netflix over a VPN and what's coming from one of the thousands of other streaming sites?

Or is the term "Netflix Tax" an ego trip like "Police Scanner"?
    Maybe you should read the article?

NBN Co has raised the prospect of treating streaming video differently from other traffic types on its network, with users charged extra for the privilege of using Netflix and similar services.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'll just go back the "old" way of watching online content. Tell all the streaming providers to see that Russian Bloke Go An Fakov, return to Torrent sites (that aren't banned) and download all content that I am interested in. At least, with the current scheme they get some of my money.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

DB44 (03-07-19),shred (03-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    Netflix would provide NBN Co with the IP addresses of their servers. That’s the easiest way. I guess Netflix also uses a known port, so it could be identified that way... but the danger with that approach is that people would start using the “Netflix port” for file transfers and other traffic to try to benefit from the prioritisiation applied to Netflix traffic.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Netflix would provide NBN Co with the IP addresses of their servers. That’s the easiest way. I guess Netflix also uses a known port, so it could be identified that way... but the danger with that approach is that people would start using the “Netflix port” for file transfers and other traffic to try to benefit from the prioritisiation applied to Netflix traffic.
    The article may use the term 'Netflix tax', but it's not about Netflix, it's about all streaming video. AFAICS.
    It's about trying to collect more money from the big video stream users.
    Cheers, Tiny

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Someone needs to be hung by the balls not only for the creation of this debacle, but the ongoing and increasing nature of it.
    Far too many people jump on the anti NBN bandwagon before they even get it. Obviously if you dont have it, its extremely hard to form an opinion of its performance.

I am on NBN FTTN.......if I believed everything I read having FTTN means I should kill myself and blame the Liberal party for my demise.

I have had no problems at all. Nor have any friends or relatives I have helped connect (all FTTN). My only criticism of FTTN would be if I was right in the middle of 2 nodes, but realistically someone has to be.
    I am at least 350 meters from the cabinet and get about 94 down and 39 up on a 100mbit plan. My speed has actually increased over the last couple of months, not sure why.

I do have one friend who only gets 40/10 on a 50 mbit plan, but as I said, its the luck of the node He is a fair way from the cabinet, but doesnt care as he is happy with the speed and it has been extremely reliable.

As to the topic, I think the odds of it happening are extremely slim and dont take it seriously. Its a bit like Telstra thinking they can charge extra for general 5G use........people wont bother paying extra for it when 4G does the job.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

DB44 (04-07-19),OSIRUS (03-07-19),Tiny (03-07-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    people wont bother paying extra for it when 4G does the job.
    Or 3G even
    30 down, 5 up

It slow as sh$t now days, but it does everything i ask of it
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Admin, maybe fine on FTTN.
    Fixed Wireless.... that’s a whole new argument.
    Whoever signed off on FW SHOULD BE PUT IN JAIL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

My download speed never gets better than 39.5Mps regardless of the time of day and I am 130m from the node which is crap since I am on a Telstra 50/20 plan and have NBN FTTN....... am fighting with NBN and Telstra to deliver a decent speed.

I have worked all of my life in radio/data telecommunications and IT and was a senior technical representative for WA Government and reckon I know more than the egg heads I am dealing with. NBN is a poor design and Australia is now 61 or so on the worlds list for data speed - go to Hawaii and the minimum internet speed to home users is 350Mps and the last time I was there, my wifi speed was 300Mbs. I get faster speed on wifi in Bali, Malaysia and Singapore than I do here in Oz.
    Shame on the Australian government for allowing this festering sore to throb.

Thanks

Jail for all involved is my opinion!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk