Thread: Motorola Jedi GP1200 trunking handheld - Err 04 on display?

Thanks

Default Motorola Jedi GP1200 trunking handheld - Err 04 on display?

I have a Motorola "model 2" VHF GP1200 which is a European trunking handheld radio - same Jedi series as the MTS2000 etc.

I want to program the radio with the basic 10 conventional channels which are available with these trunking handhelds.

At boot up I get a power up tone and brief green LED and then a constant error tone with "ERR 04" on the top display.

The model number is H01KDD9CK4CN
    Codeplug 48/10/97
    Software 00013
    ESN 002/08/110415

Using Windows DPS R00.01.10 I was able to read/write the radio and display radio information etc...BUT writing back the original CP did not solve the problem.

Anybody know what the ERR 04 code indicates?

Maybe its a corrupted codeplug? But I can read/write the codeplug.

I tried to create a new CP using the DOS R03.03.00 RSS but the DPS R00.01.10 would not accept the CP.

I tried to read the radio using DOS R03.03.00 and got "Codeplug spec number not supported by the RSS"....so I do need to use the later Win DPS

Maybe the CP is not correctly built...network...personality...radio....many variables that need to be correct.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,303 Times in 514 Posts

Flash it to MT2100
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world.
    Most people exist, that is all."

• The Following User Says Thank You to radiobup For This Useful Post:

jmwtzl (08-07-19)

Thanks

I might flash to MT2100 once I know the GP1200 is working OK...so I was going to start with just the 10 conventional channels.

Do you know what "ERR 04" means?

Do you have a good codeplug with contains operational network/personality/radio data which will work with a H01KDD9CK4CN?

Thanks

Does anybody have a working full codeplug for a VHF Jedi GP1200 H01KDD9CK4CN

I think the CP in the radio is missing network data or something which is causing the ERR 04

I'm not sure if network data needs to be loaded separately from the CP?

Thanks

Yes,this could be a missed network.
    You can create a new network with the network editor.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Dieter Bohlen For This Useful Post:

jmwtzl (17-07-19)

Thanks

Thanks Dieter.

I had looked at the Network editor but was unsure how to actually create a network!! I could not see any read/write function but maybe that only appears when you create a network. I will check it out again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,303 Times in 514 Posts

Hi,

Just load any Network file, check if DMO is allowed, then use it for your radio.
    In Personnality, add Conv Perso, check if you have a dedicated button to change from Trunk to Conv, and program DMO channel (conv).
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world.
    Most people exist, that is all."

• The Following User Says Thank You to radiobup For This Useful Post:

jmwtzl (17-07-19)

Thanks

UPDATE: I have successfully created a new Network file and I now have conventional simplex operation!!...the ERR04 is gone....BUT the carrier squelch does NOT work...its just white noise all the time. But PL/CTCSS works OK...so the GP1200 works with repeaters with RX CTCSS decode ...otherwise I get constant white noise on simplex channels??

Anybody know why the carrier SQ does not work? I have checked the RX service alignment...and the 12.5 KHz SQ values look sensible (32 - 34) rather than, say, 0 or low. I tried increasing the SQ values but I still get constant white noise even at a setting of 63.....and the carrier SQ never closes in service mode when you keep increasing the value. i tried lots of different options such as PL enable BUT then set PL value as "disabled"...but I still get white noise.

Maybe there is some odd field that needs to be enabled? The Talk Around field needs to be enabled (in Personality Independent Paras) for conventional mode to work...when its enabled, you don't TX on the RX output freq in conventional mode...it just allows conventional operation!!! SO maybe there is a similar option which switches on carrier SQ!!

The Network is set as a RegioNet43...maybe that does not allow carrier SQ? I think I read that RegioNet43 only allows 1 simplex channel..but I have 10...so maybe that's why I don't have carrier SQ? I also found that lots of the default Network values are for UHF frequencies.. (400 MHz) ..I set some to VHF but maybe not all of them??

You toggle between trunking and conventional simplex using the "middle" key of the 3 keys above the PTT. The Monitor key is the top key of the 3 keys above the PTT...which works OK when using CTCSS...you get white noise when its pressed.

Anybody any ideas why carrier SQ does not work on my GP1200?

Maybe the firmware only allows PL operation?

Maybe the Windows CPS does not work correctly for carrier SQ? Maybe I need to use DOS service mode...if it will work with a Windows CP?

Thanks
    Last edited by jmwtzl; 05-08-19 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks

Try to make a fw update first:
    Squelch must close in the tuning mode and the values must be tuned (not zero).It lokks like all tuning values are gone!

jmwtzl (05-08-19)

Thanks

Thanks for the firmware Dieter. The radio is currently running firmware v3x.13.0, I think (by pressing the PTT 5 times at boot up at same time as second bleep)

Do you know if there were issues with the firmware which caused the carrier SQ to not work?

When I read the squelch tuning values they all appear to be OK. 12.5 KHz SQ has values ranging from 32 to 34...which all look sensible. 25 KHz SQ values are 35 - 37 ( all for the test frequencies 136 to 177 MHz)

BUT as you say, it is like all the SQ tuning values are gone. The GP1200 also has good RX sensitivity...so I guess the front end values are not zero?

BUT the SQ should close in service/tuning mode (using DPS*SERVICE password) even if there is a wrong setting in the Network set up...but SQ does not close at all even at the maximum setting of 63.

Maybe the Windows CPS service/tuning is not working correctly...it appears to read and write sensible SQ values but maybe only zero values are uploaded?

Can I use DOS RSS to align the SQ values..even though I cannot read/write the CPS codeplug?

Thanks

Thanks

I never heard about some issues on your fw.Itīs an old stage 3 fw.Itīs better to update it.You cannot disable the 60 sec.time out timer in this fw!
    Your values should be ok.
    If you have a proper cable and the uinirib,itīs not a big deal to update the radio.
    The PC must be up to PIII with disabled cache.If you use a PI or slower,you donīt need to disable the cache.
    If you still have the squelch problem after the update,I would say,you have a hardware problem in your radio.

jmwtzl (06-08-19)

Thanks

OK on it maybe being a hardware problem ...but I will investigate updating the firmware. I have a slow early Pentium laptop and also a 486.

As the firmware is stage 3 rather than Stage 4, maybe I need "older" Windows CPS for the tuning/alignment to work correctly?

Maybe the Stage 3 firmware was never set up for carrier SQ operation? As most commercial users will use CTCSS...and the conventional features in the GP1200 are very limited...no scan, no power toggle etc...just 10 basic channels.

The SQ values are what were in the radio when I read the SQ tuning values....which look OK ie not low or zero

Thanks

The Windows CPS works with Stage 3 fw too.No errors are reported.

jmwtzl (06-08-19)

Thanks

Could I upload a default "older" codeplug using DOS RSS R03.03.00 and MTSX-LAB...having taken note of the tuning values using CPS service mode.

Maybe the original owner had uploaded a "too new" codeplug which does not have correct "mapping" with the stage 3 firmware inside the radio?....so this might result in some of the tuning parameters, such as SQ values, not working?

Or could I upload a default codeplug from the Windows CPS....I removed the original ERR04 by uploading a new Network...but would I get a toolproofing error...but maybe that is only with Stage 4 firmware...my radio has Stage 3 firmware.

The Codeplug in the radio is 48/10/97 (from the CPS radio info screen).

Is the tuning data held in the codeplug...like with Sabers/MX3000....so you have to be careful about uploading CP's from different radios as you end up with a misaligned radio?

I know the correct thing to do is to update to the latest firmware which matches the Windows CPS...but it requires a smart rib, I think?

Thanks

DOS codeplugs donīt work!
    You can try also the latest CPS:
    You can use a default codeplug from the CPS.The tuning data is in the codeplug but it is not a problem.
    Only if you have a modified CPS and you program it in factory mode,the tuning data will be lost!
    No SMARTRIB is required.You need only a modified RIB or the Unirib and a proper cable:

jmwtzl (07-08-19)

Thanks

Dieter - Many thanks for the latest CPS.

OK on being able to use a default codeplug and the tuning data being safe.

OK on modified RIB vs SMART RIB..thanks for info